Hot Deals

[Costco] HP ENVY x360 15-ee0003ca 2-in-1 Laptop Bundle, AMD Ryzen 7 4700U $1,099.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2020 7:21 pm
Sr. Member
Nov 6, 2016
978 posts
925 upvotes
edmondt wrote: I just picked mine up today and made a video:



Hope this will help someone make their decision :)

- The firmware update did make the fan less noisy...
- I edit the video on this laptop DaVinci Resolve 16 and it rendered the video in about 25 minutes @ 1080p
- Screen is bright enough for my use, it is acceptable during the day sitting behind the window.
- Still getting used to the keyboard, I mistype a bit; perhaps its the layout and the keys are a tiny bit smaller.
- I am 50/50 about keeping this, it is growing on me...
Thank you, that looks like it is bilingual. Maybe I don't need to unbox mine now and can just return.

Edit - received mine today and opened to confirm its bilingual, will be returning. Looking forward to the Flex 5 when it arrives.
Last edited by indeals on Jun 15th, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
14395 posts
15158 upvotes
indeals wrote: Thank you, that looks like it is bilingual. Maybe I don't need to unbox mine now and can just return.
Gut punch. You may want to check anyways.

Sealed or not, they will open your unit when you return it.
>> Govt. Relief for Businesses: 75% Wage Subsidy <<

COVID-19 Etiquette
Whatever your personal opinion, please respect hygiene and PPE guidelines and mandates laid down by (1) government, (2) private establishments.
Jr. Member
Jan 22, 2017
155 posts
117 upvotes
I’m wondering if I should buy this or the iPad 12.9 pro 128 go or this.

I have a very powerful desktop already and no laptop since mine broke 2 years ago

The ipad is a lot more portable, much brighter screen and higher resolution screen

I use it mostly to browse the web, netflix, RedFlagDeals deals, note taking, word, excel.

I use it indoor and outdoor.

Also some apps I use are only available on ios like news reading ( content not available on pc)

But the ipad is not a full blown os yet and if I had the pen and magic keyboard, the price is out of this world.

I would really like a 2 in 1 laptop with a screen of the same quality as the iPad Pro at a decent price point.

I have a ryzen 3900x in my pc and really like it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2006
2076 posts
610 upvotes
Waterloo
ShingoHusky wrote: I’m wondering if I should buy this or the iPad 12.9 pro 128 go or this.

I have a very powerful desktop already and no laptop since mine broke 2 years ago

The ipad is a lot more portable, much brighter screen and higher resolution screen

I use it mostly to browse the web, netflix, RedFlagDeals deals, note taking, word, excel.

I use it indoor and outdoor.

Also some apps I use are only available on ios like news reading ( content not available on pc)

But the ipad is not a full blown os yet and if I had the pen and magic keyboard, the price is out of this world.

I would really like a 2 in 1 laptop with a screen of the same quality as the iPad Pro at a decent price point.

I have a ryzen 3900x in my pc and really like it.
If you need something more portable as a supplement to your desktop then the iPad Pro is a solid solution. Remember that this laptop is 2kg and the iPad is 1/4 of that. The iPad Pro also has a better screen and brightness if you’re going to use it outdoors.
Congratulations!
Today is YOUR day.
You're off to great places!
You're off and away!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 23, 2004
3131 posts
1141 upvotes
Vancouver
ShingoHusky wrote: I’m wondering if I should buy this or the iPad 12.9 pro 128 go or this.

I have a very powerful desktop already and no laptop since mine broke 2 years ago

The ipad is a lot more portable, much brighter screen and higher resolution screen

I use it mostly to browse the web, netflix, RedFlagDeals deals, note taking, word, excel.

I use it indoor and outdoor.

Also some apps I use are only available on ios like news reading ( content not available on pc)

But the ipad is not a full blown os yet and if I had the pen and magic keyboard, the price is out of this world.

I would really like a 2 in 1 laptop with a screen of the same quality as the iPad Pro at a decent price point.

I have a ryzen 3900x in my pc and really like it.
You kind of answered your own question, though, didn't you? I know the iPad is more expensive, but it doesn't sound like you have much of a use case for this. You're better off spending the extra few hundred and getting the iPad rather than $1100 on something that doesn't do what you want (or is partially redundant with something you already have).

I don't know iPads. Is there an older gen model that's closer in price to this?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1361 posts
814 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
If you plan on using usb c alot to connect your ipad/laptop to a monitor be aware that ipads arent as functional as windows. If the individual app doesnt support extended display then you'll be stuck with just screen mirroring with pillar boxes on the side(since ipads arent 16:9)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 12, 2005
1358 posts
86 upvotes
Mississauga
cadave wrote: If you need something more portable as a supplement to your desktop then the iPad Pro is a solid solution. Remember that this laptop is 2kg and the iPad is 1/4 of that. The iPad Pro also has a better screen and brightness if you’re going to use it outdoors.
If you are wondering, then you don't need any of them.Winking Face I know , as I am in the same state Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Newbie
Nov 20, 2018
9 posts
13 upvotes
I bought this thinking it was going to be a good upgrade. Processor and NVME is A+ and upgrade-ability is awesome. I have internal photos if anyone needs it.

I can't keep the machine unfortunately. I had hoped to be able to utilize the laptop to do graphics, video, etc but the IPS panel driven at 1080 is only capable of 6bit colour depth. Output to other screens is capable of 8bit.

This kills it for me for colour accuracy...and possibly others who need it for mobile graphics editing.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2010
1153 posts
508 upvotes
Waterloo
Somedude8 wrote: I bought this thinking it was going to be a good upgrade. Processor and NVME is A+ and upgrade-ability is awesome. I have internal photos if anyone needs it.

I can't keep the machine unfortunately. I had hoped to be able to utilize the laptop to do graphics, video, etc but the IPS panel driven at 1080 is only capable of 6bit colour depth. Output to other screens is capable of 8bit.

This kills it for me for colour accuracy...and possibly others who need it for mobile graphics editing.
Giving this laptop a serious think since I don’t need to do any work that needs colour accuracy - would love to see your pictures of the internals as well.

How do you find it weight/size-wise and the overall build/hinge quality? I’ve been keeping my eye on the new Ryzen laptops And I was originally aiming for 13-14 inches, but this deal has me considering moving up.

Thanks!
Newbie
Nov 20, 2018
9 posts
13 upvotes
Here are the pictures: PHOTOS HERE

- Keyboard is the Bi-lingual one so is somewhat annoying, the keys are a bit squished to the left so you end up typing a bit left of the track pad...a bit more than usual. Key's are ok...maybe a bit small.
- Weight is ok for the size, build quality seems fantastic.
- Hinge seems good, weight between screen and body is counter balanced well.
- When comparing to a panel that can do 8 bit the gradients are very noticeable for those who are accustomed to colour accuracy.

Cheers
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1361 posts
814 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
Somedude8 wrote: Here are the pictures: PHOTOS HERE

- Keyboard is the Bi-lingual one so is somewhat annoying, the keys are a bit squished to the left so you end up typing a bit left of the track pad...a bit more than usual. Key's are ok...maybe a bit small.
- Weight is ok for the size, build quality seems fantastic.
- Hinge seems good, weight between screen and body is counter balanced well.
- When comparing to a panel that can do 8 bit the gradients are very noticeable for those who are accustomed to colour accuracy.

Cheers
Are you planning to overclock the display? I wonder if it can go up 75hz, maybe 90hz.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
14395 posts
15158 upvotes
If you folks are finding the 2020 bilingual laptop keyboards from HP and Lenovo are providing half-key shift keys, don't fret.

You can rebind the other half-key from standard ASCII gibberish to a redundant Shift key.

Try SharpKey (freeware), it should make the task easy.

Source Guidance: https://beebom.com/how-remap-keyboard-windows-10/

It works for any other keyboard keys.

Good luck.
>> Govt. Relief for Businesses: 75% Wage Subsidy <<

COVID-19 Etiquette
Whatever your personal opinion, please respect hygiene and PPE guidelines and mandates laid down by (1) government, (2) private establishments.
Newbie
Nov 20, 2018
9 posts
13 upvotes
ssjlancer wrote: Are you planning to overclock the display? I wonder if it can go up 75hz, maybe 90hz.
Best I get is 70. Does weird stuff beyond

Performed with CRU
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
14395 posts
15158 upvotes
I'll leave this right here.
redflagdealsguy wrote: Among the Ryzen U-Series Laptops, here's my intuition.

(A) Lenovo Ideapad 3 15.6" (2020) [Ryzen 4500U w/ (1x) SODIMM] - $699
Best value for money in the Ryzen 4th generation U-Series laptop space, among big box and online retailers. Especially attractive if you don't need 2-in-1 and don't require high color accuracy. The laptop screen is adequate, and looks good even in showroom lights, but doesn't appear to be IPS. The (1x) SODIMM slot allows for up to a (1x) 32GB SODIMM, but because the onboard 4GB RAM is clocked at 2666Mhz, the SODIMM will always clock to 2666Mhz or it's base clock if it's lower. The inclusion of a numpad makes this a viable desktop replacement with a USB-C docking station, subject to the appropriate WiFi Card, RAM, and SSD upgrades. The base 8GB of RAM is livable for day-to-day work, but more serious workloads should explore a (1x) 16GB 2666Mhz SODIMM upgrade, bringing the total RAM to 20GB.

Optional Upgrades
- Intel AX200NGW WiFi 6 Card - $30 (Amazon.ca)
- 1 TB NVMe SSD - $170 (Amazon.ca)
- 16GB 2666Mhz SODIMM - $100 (Amazon.ca)

(B) HP ENVY x360 15.6" (2020) [Ryzen 4700U w/ (2x) SODIMMs] - $1099
Best performance Ryzen 4th generation U-Series laptop under $1100. This system allows for dual channel SODIMM upgrades up to (2x) 32GB = 64GB 3200Mhz DDR4. This workstation would provide the greatest memory headroom for specialized workloads, but vanishingly few need more than 32GB. The CPU is faster on benchmarks than the 4500U (nothing earth shattering), the GPU is modestly faster. This laptop is the best option for those looking for a 2-in-1, a larger 15.6" IPS screen, a numpad for data entry, and improved performance. It also comes with the much lauded Intel AX200NGW WiFi 6 card and a 1TB NVMe SSD, saving you two potential upgrades.

Optional Upgrades
- (2x) 8GB 3200Mhz SODIMMs [16GB Total]

You could theoretically put in (2x) 16GB 3200Mhz SODIMMs, or even (2x) 32GB SODIMMs. Whatever your heart fancies.

(C) Lenovo Flex 14" (2020) [Ryzen 4500U w/ No SODIMM] - $793 (expired)
Best value for money in the Ryzen 4th generation U-Series 2-in-1 laptop space. The 16GB RAM base install saves a RAM upgrade for most users. Meanwhile, this is the only option among the three laptops that provides a 14" screen (at the cost of losing your numpad), as well as IPS 2-in-1 touch. Saving on the RAM upgrade alone puts this in Ideapad 3 price territory (first laptop above) when you factor in the SODIMM upgrade.

Optional Upgrades
- Intel AX200NGW WiFi 6 Card - $30 (Amazon.ca)
- 1 TB NVMe SSD - $170 (Amazon.ca)
>> Govt. Relief for Businesses: 75% Wage Subsidy <<

COVID-19 Etiquette
Whatever your personal opinion, please respect hygiene and PPE guidelines and mandates laid down by (1) government, (2) private establishments.

Top