Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] HP ENVY x360 RYZEN 7 VEGA 10 512GB SSD 8GB RAM- $799

[OP]
Dec 19, 2013
24 posts
66 upvotes
Surrey

[Costco] HP ENVY x360 RYZEN 7 VEGA 10 512GB SSD 8GB RAM- $799

Seems like a great deal! $799 and its upgradeable to 16gb ram!

Processor and Memory:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700U processor
8 GB DDR4 SDRAM

Drives:

512 GB SSD
No optical drive
SD card reader

Display and Video Graphics:

15.6 in. FHD touchscreen display (1920 × 1080)
AMD Radeon™ RX Vega 10 graphics
Thread Summary
So this is a hot price for the laptop. It has great benchmarks and good build quality. It is black aluminum.

The laptop seems fairly solid. There are a couple common problems that seem to be arising according to the reviews. Overheating (something that seems to be trend in all HP laptops), battery does not hold a charge, hinges aren't aligned, and excessive thermal throttling. Some people have noted that thermal throttling gets worse after a year or so. Every laptop has it's problems though.

The laptop is sold by Costco, so you can except great service (tech support will be in America/Canada) and warranty is 2 years instead of 1.

Overall this laptop is recommended. A great price, performance and looks!

I've attached some links below from retailers that have many reviews.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-x3 ... Id=6339175

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-x3 ... Id=6364578

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-x3 ... Id=6364552

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp ... 0/11558148

https://www.amazon.ca/HP-6GJ13UA-i5-826 ... EQB&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.ca/HP-Touchscreen-Gr ... 807&sr=8-5
81 replies
Dec 16, 2015
168 posts
75 upvotes
BC
good find. how would this HP laptop compare to this https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07TWHYTSQ? looking to purchase a laptop for my mom, and she only needs it for casual internet surfing, paying bills, using rudimentary excel.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2013
24 posts
66 upvotes
Surrey
yes so I have bought this item, and in the process for the price adjustment. comes with the pen! its a very good machine and for the price, a very good deal! especially as you can upgrade the RAM (i contacted HP support to verify and they said up to 16gb). pen is responsive and the whole system functions without any hitch (its a ryzen 7 after all). its very thin and tablet mode is great for watching netflix in bed haha. Also has an HDMI out which is great. Speaker is LOUD. keyboard is backlit and awesome. I havent really benchmarked it as im an average user. has an SD card slot.

Lenovo Yogas are on sale as well for a similar price so I would head to lenovos website too and check those out and compare! the Yoga and 930 and 730 can be had for about 850-1000 dollars with 12% cash back thru rakuten.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9221 posts
4505 upvotes
Markham
Bilingual keyboard
Deal Fanatic
May 15, 2016
6762 posts
2335 upvotes
I don't envy the keyboard on these hps.
Feb 25, 2018
136 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder how this compares to the Lenovo flex deal that I bought. Both seem to be upgradable and same specs for the most part. Only thing is flex is 14in and doesn’t come with a pen. Hmmm hmm decisions. I have until the 27th to return my flex.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
2429 posts
2545 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
davidr519 wrote: I wonder how this compares to the Lenovo flex deal that I bought. Both seem to be upgradable and same specs for the most part. Only thing is flex is 14in and doesn’t come with a pen. Hmmm hmm decisions. I have until the 27th to return my flex.
u talking about the flex from amazon for 599.99 during black friday week? It came with a pen, if yours didnt, contact amazon. Also, I would get the HP Envy vs the lenovo, its faster and you get 2 years warranty at costco (option to increase for cheap) and 90 day return/ price protection

*** Also don't forget to use that $20 off $100 coupon with email signup at costco. From this thread

get-20-off-your-next-costco-ca-purchase ... 0-2326803/

Anyone that is on the fence, AMD Ryzen 5 3500u plays overwatch at 1080p with low settings at 100% rendering with about 100 FPS, This HP Envy has the faster Ryzen 7 3700u which will play the game with more constant FPS. These arent meant for gaming, but its nice to know you can use it when you want. FYI, i have the Lenovo c920 with i7 8th gen, and it is horrible playing even at 720p and 50% Rendering, so yes these AMD cpus with the Vega 8 and 10 graphics are amazing!
Last edited by junglemage666 on Dec 13th, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2013
24 posts
66 upvotes
Surrey
yes, the warranty was a big factor in my decision to stick with this vs the lenovo's. costco's warranty is great and 2 years included. The screen on the envy is better than the flex and the build quality is also better. the envy is an all metal build.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2023 posts
346 upvotes
Ottawa
ayogtc wrote: good find. how would this HP laptop compare to this https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07TWHYTSQ? looking to purchase a laptop for my mom, and she only needs it for casual internet surfing, paying bills, using rudimentary excel.
Lenovo has:
- smaller screen (both are just 1080p)
- slower CPU (neither are a powerhouse)
- slower GPU
- no sd card reader (or i cant find it)

but the pluses are:
+ More memory (12 vs 8)
+ English keyboard!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
2429 posts
2545 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
AmanBassi6 wrote: heres the keyboard for others who are wondering. this is a picture taken so its my actual laptop

https://imgur.com/XW62qhj
oh nice it looks good. So tell us, does this thing run hot? Does the fan get very loud? How is battery life? You mind going to 100% charge, dim screen to lowest (but keep 1 notch up) have just wifi on, bluetooth off. Watch a netflix video for 2 hours (or youtube or whatever) let us know how much % the battery goes down after exactly 120 minutes. Please and thank you. I know its not the greatest test, but I think a lot of people will find it useful. Also thank you if you do it :) or maybe have the info already? I may purchase this for my mom to replace her Dell Inspiron from 2015
Last edited by junglemage666 on Dec 13th, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 25, 2018
136 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto
junglemage666 wrote: u talking about the flex from amazon for 599.99 during black friday week? It came with a pen, if yours didnt, contact amazon. Also, I would get the HP Envy vs the lenovo, its faster and you get 2 years warranty at costco (option to increase for cheap) and 90 day return/ price protection
No sorry I meant the AMD Lenovo Flex with the English keyboard with the ryzen7 and Radeon 10. 512ssd 8gb ram for around $650 - ebates as well to that
[OP]
Dec 19, 2013
24 posts
66 upvotes
Surrey
junglemage666 wrote: oh nice it looks good. So tell us, does this thing run hot? Does the fan get very loud? How is battery life? You mind going to 100% charge, dim screen to lowest (but keep 1 notch up) have just wifi on, bluetooth off. Watch a netflix video for 2 hours (or youtube or whatever) let us know how much % the battery goes down after exactly 120 minutes. Please and thank you. I know its not the greatest test, but I think a lot of people will find it useful. Also thank you if you do it :) or maybe have the info already? I may purchase this for my mom to replace her Dell Inspiron from 2015
sure i will do this tonight. it doesnt run hot at all and most of the time the fans not even on, but ive just used it for netflix, word, youtube and social media, as well ad pdfs for studying, thats about it. I will do this test tonight and give you the results!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
2429 posts
2545 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
AmanBassi6 wrote: sure i will do this tonight. it doesnt run hot at all and most of the time the fans not even on, but ive just used it for netflix, word, youtube and social media, as well ad pdfs for studying, thats about it. I will do this test tonight and give you the results!
awesome man, ya thats pretty much what people will use this laptop for, exactly how you are :) Thanks so much dude
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1278 posts
1409 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
AmanBassi6 wrote: sure i will do this tonight. it doesnt run hot at all and most of the time the fans not even on, but ive just used it for netflix, word, youtube and social media, as well ad pdfs for studying, thats about it. I will do this test tonight and give you the results!
junglemage666 wrote: awesome man, ya thats pretty much what people will use this laptop for, exactly how you are :) Thanks so much dude
I wouldn't be buying this expecting great battery life. It's only a 55.67Wh battery which is kinda average given its a 15in laptop. For reference, the higher end HP Spectre x360 13 has a 60Wh battery, and its a 13in laptop. Ideally this laptop would have a 70Wh battery - which would yield 10ish hours of usage. I don't know why makers skimp on batteries, especially cuz a larger battery would mean better future proofing since a 10h laptop life now will be 5h in 2 years based on battery degradation.
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Jul 20, 2018
446 posts
372 upvotes
Personally I would try and wait for the flex 3500u on boxing day.

A bunch of the benchmarks I looked at showed that the 3700u/vega 10 had some pretty bad thermal issues so compared to the 3500u/vega 8 they tested similiar because of thermal throttling.

Just my opinion
[OP]
Dec 19, 2013
24 posts
66 upvotes
Surrey
TURNIPtheBEET wrote: Personally I would try and wait for the flex 3500u on boxing day.

A bunch of the benchmarks I looked at showed that the 3700u/vega 10 had some pretty bad thermal issues so compared to the 3500u/vega 8 they tested similiar because of thermal throttling.

Just my opinion
this is why I went for the 15 inch version of this laptop. the 13 inch (and many other laptops of this size) suffer from throttling issues. the 15 inch chassis just allows for better air flow. I think this was an austin evans video where he compared the 13 inch ryzen 7 to the 15 inch ryzen 5 and saw the ryzen 5 had better performance. this laptop is the 15 inch ryzen 7 so I would expect it to thermal throttle less than a 13 inch and thus have better performace than the ryzen 5 counterpart of the same size