• Jul 22nd, 2020 9:31 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2683 posts
1505 upvotes
YVR

[Costco] HP Omen 15 Laptop - $1599 AMD Ryzen 7 4800H + GTX1660ti

Think this is a very solid competitor to the ASUS TUF A15, which has very similar specs. Been waiting for Costco to carry more AMD Ryzen and was glad to see this online.
The HP Omen for 2020 is very well reviewed and cooling doesn't seem to suffer when compared to the Asus version.

They also sell the intel version with the 2060 for $200 more.

Review of the AMD HP Omen
Last edited by TeriyakiJack on Jul 21st, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1438 posts
1084 upvotes
Whitby
Agreed, the thermals on this one has got good reviews and also it seems to have a great screen if you care about color accuracy. Last week, I got the 1 TB version from Best Buy US as an open box for 1034 USD including the tax. Now waiting for my sister to visit me.
[external link removed]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2336 posts
525 upvotes
York
Better screen and thermals then the A15 but worse gpu, 8gb less ram, half the ssd storage and a dreaded bilingual keyboard without numpad.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
2579 posts
1728 upvotes
Grande Prairie AB
The Destroyer wrote: Better screen and thermals then the A15 but worse gpu, 8gb less ram, half the ssd storage and a dreaded bilingual keyboard without numpad.
Yep, this should be $1400ish... at most. Costco will likely put it on sale sooner or later though, this one has 16GB of RAM though so not half.

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/gaming- ... AQodYk8Azw

This would be a better purchase and a better GPU but still no ray tracing, $1440+tax with coupon.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
4360 posts
9842 upvotes
The Destroyer wrote: Better screen and thermals then the A15 but worse gpu, 8gb less ram, half the ssd storage and a dreaded bilingual keyboard without numpad.
I'd suggest SSD storage doesn't matter as you'd almost always want to replace the pack-in, inferior quality and speed drives with an aftermarket replacement (its SSD roulette on what you'll receive from a pack-in and 8 times out of 10 you lose, regardless of size or seller). As for the "dreaded" bilingual, you are almost certainly talking about a bilingual ISO keyboard which is indeed dreadful... this one has a bilingual ANSI keyboard. Its near identical to any other ANSI keyboard so should be just fine. As for the rest of the laptop and its price: I don't love it (outside of its excellent CPU and much better screen than the A15) and I'd personally wait. But that's just my opinion.
Feb 7, 2008
342 posts
97 upvotes
This one is the 60hz screen based on Amazon.ca review so if you are into fps games, might not be for you.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2927 posts
414 upvotes
Montreal
Apparently the Dell G5 SE was terrible in benchmark and overall. I was looking into it. I'm still searching for my next toy. I've had an HP in the past that lasted 10 years and my Lenovo is going on 8. The AMD cpu will blow away the Intel one
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
2579 posts
1728 upvotes
Grande Prairie AB
gnuman wrote: Apparently the Dell G5 SE was terrible in benchmark and overall. I was looking into it. I'm still searching for my next toy. I've had an HP in the past that lasted 10 years and my Lenovo is going on 8. The AMD cpu will blow away the Intel one
The Dell G5 SE is RTX2060 level in benchmarks with the 5600M just no ray tracing, so it's not terrible. And in gaming neither CPU is going blow away any current gen CPU's, unless your talking content creation stuff.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)