Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] iGO Elite 2 Electric Bicycle 1699.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2020 12:26 pm
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1256 upvotes
agapeverdad wrote: Initially, I was considering Surface604, specifically their Colt series with the reviews and torque sensing. Being from the prairies it would have been great to support Biktrix but can’t say I’m a fan of the colour choices and cost is more.

The Rize RX 2020 seems like an amazing value but then you’re wondering if it’s too good to be true. Seems like Rize 2020 models have addressed many of the common EBR review checkboxes but your still left wondering on support.

That being said many of these bikes have common parts (Bafang) should you need service, you just hope you’re not getting a defective battery etc.

Fortunately work from home has delayed the need to purchase. The tech and market seems to be evolving each year so it’ll be interesting to see what comes next.
Same. I have a fetish for everything electric (don't go there lol) I mean cars and bikes. Probably be working from home for most of this summer season so can hold out but can't wait to see what's in store for next year.

I also like to check out e-bikes from the crowdfunding site Indiegogo to see the latest technology; Lots of cool bikes not made in China but you'd be paying extra for it.

The Babymaker - Stealth Road eBike With Belt Drive
X one ebike - Next Generation Smartest E-bike
Calamus One - Ultrabike
THE ONE - World's Lightest Electric Folding Bike!
HiMo: Folding E-Bike That Goes with You Everywhere
AMX Electric Bike: The e-bike for cities
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
1109 posts
1019 upvotes
Angultra wrote: Motor alone probably brings it up to 1k, and do you think they just slap everything into a Walmart bike?
LOL, no. 500 or 1000 watt electric motor costs around $100 nowadays.
I paid for my 8000 watt motor $300 6 years ago, delivered to Canada.
Spatzi wrote: Anyone have experience riding an electric bike that goes above 32 km an hour in the Vancouver area? I’m tempted to get Rize rx that hits 55kmh. I’m surprised they sell this because apparently it’s not even legal.
thelasthunter wrote: Are you sure you're averaging more than 30km/h, or are you simply hitting those speeds once in a while? In my experience, it's quite difficult to avg over 30km/h on any moderately long ride (>1hr) with regular terrain like slopes etc. on a regular bike.
aerohead888 wrote: My ride to work is about 12km and I like to get where I'm going fast.
Messerschmitt wrote: Is it bylaw enforceable or police enforceable too? Can RCMP give you a ticket or only bylaw?
Long read for whose who are interested in ebikes.
In 2008 I saw ebike at the local Canadian Tire store.
It was called Strong GT-S, weigh at least 100 lbs, it had 3 12 volt lead batteries, speed limit of 32 km/h, and cost at least $800.
I've tried to lift it up from the floor, and said forget about it.
Why would I pay $800 for the super heavy ebike, when I can go easily 25 km/h on my old trusty SS KHS-100?
So, I forgot about whole thing until purely by chance, in 2012, I saw youtube video, where guy was riding his D.I.Y. ebike on the highway in USA.
And he was easily passing cars in the process.
Quick googling led me to Endless sphere, the most comprehensive forum about ebikes.
Needless to say, I got hooked right away, and in October 2012 I bought the very same Strong GT-S, slightly used, for $200.

Thing was dead, I only used steel frame from it for my project.
6 months and $3000 later, I took it for the test drive.
Top speed was 65 km/h, no car could beat me from the street light, 70 km range in the city on one charge.
I've learned few valuable skills while building it.
I laced 16" moto rims into bicycle hubs, I soldered 18S10P, 72 volt 30 Ah Li-Ion battery from 180 pcs of LG 18650 elements, and many other things.

I rode this bike for 4 years, and put 12,000 km on it, until I got FFE in 2017.

My motor is rated for 5000 watts, and few times during especially "heated" take offs, I managed to get it pretty warm. Same for the battery and controller.
Whoever thinks dinky 1000 watt motor is able to sustain 55 km/h is delusional.

On the legality of ebikes.
Few years ago cop in Grimsby, ON stopped ebike rider, who made illegal left turn. Or whatever.
Upon very close inspection of his ebike, cop found out what his pedals were disabled. Or missing.
Cop gave him $10,000 worth of tickets.
Driving unauthorized vehicle, driving without insurance and driving license, etc., etc., etc.
My point is, you have to be careful. In 4 years I only got stopped once.
I was turning right at the stop sign, and didn't slow down.
I've noticed cop at the very last moment, but it was too late.
He put on his cherries, I pulled over. Good thing I was only doing 30.
The following dialog ensued.
C. - looking out of his window - How fast does your bike go?
Me, - 30 km/h
C. - do you have insurance and registration for it?
Me, - why would I need it, officer? Its a "pedal assisted bicycle".
C. - never mind then, carry on.
I did have couple of "incidents", where I passed cops on the streets, doing 60, but as long as you're wearing helmet, have functional pedals, and not being complete idiot, you should be ok.
P.S. Last summer I saw guy in one of these 3 wheeled scooters going at least 45 km/h on the sidewalk in my industrial area.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2058 posts
2093 upvotes
xrvr wrote: LOL, no. 500 or 1000 watt electric motor costs around $100 nowadays.
I paid for my 8000 watt motor $300 6 years ago, delivered to Canada.

Long read for whose who are interested in ebikes.
In 2008 I saw ebike at the local Canadian Tire store.
It was called Strong GT-S, weigh at least 100 lbs, it had 3 12 volt lead batteries, speed limit of 32 km/h, and cost at least $800.
I've tried to lift it up from the floor, and said forget about it.
Why would I pay $800 for the super heavy ebike, when I can go easily 25 km/h on my old trusty SS KHS-100?
So, I forgot about whole thing until purely by chance, in 2012, I saw youtube video, where guy was riding his D.I.Y. ebike on the highway in USA.
And he was easily passing cars in the process.
Quick googling led me to Endless sphere, the most comprehensive forum about ebikes.
Needless to say, I got hooked right away, and in October 2012 I bought the very same Strong GT-S, slightly used, for $200.

Thing was dead, I only used steel frame from it for my project.
6 months and $3000 later, I took it for the test drive.
Top speed was 65 km/h, no car could beat me from the street light, 70 km range in the city on one charge.
I've learned few valuable skills while building it.
I laced 16" moto rims into bicycle hubs, I soldered 18S10P, 72 volt 30 Ah Li-Ion battery from 180 pcs of LG 18650 elements, and many other things.

I rode this bike for 4 years, and put 12,000 km on it, until I got FFE in 2017.

My motor is rated for 5000 watts, and few times during especially "heated" take offs, I managed to get it pretty warm. Same for the battery and controller.
Whoever thinks dinky 1000 watt motor is able to sustain 55 km/h is delusional.

On the legality of ebikes.
Few years ago cop in Grimsby, ON stopped ebike rider, who made illegal left turn. Or whatever.
Upon very close inspection of his ebike, cop found out what his pedals were disabled. Or missing.
Cop gave him $10,000 worth of tickets.
Driving unauthorized vehicle, driving without insurance and driving license, etc., etc., etc.
My point is, you have to be careful. In 4 years I only got stopped once.
I was turning right at the stop sign, and didn't slow down.
I've noticed cop at the very last moment, but it was too late.
He put on his cherries, I pulled over. Good thing I was only doing 30.
The following dialog ensued.
C. - looking out of his window - How fast does your bike go?
Me, - 30 km/h
C. - do you have insurance and registration for it?
Me, - why would I need it, officer? Its a "pedal assisted bicycle".
C. - never mind then, carry on.
I did have couple of "incidents", where I passed cops on the streets, doing 60, but as long as you're wearing helmet, have functional pedals, and not being complete idiot, you should be ok.
P.S. Last summer I saw guy in one of these 3 wheeled scooters going at least 45 km/h on the sidewalk in my industrial area.
Thanks for a detailed story, but there's a reason cars have seat belts, air bags and a hunk of aluminum (not to mention a million $ in liability insurance) between you and the pavement. When it comes to ebikes, speed is way below in importance to factors like price, practicality, durability and safety as a concern for most riders. IMO 32km/h sustained avg ride speed is perfect.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
1057 posts
288 upvotes
For snow which tire would be better, 20"x4" or 26"x4"? And 360/500W rear hub motor would be fine? Or i should go for midlle 500 motor?
Feb 16, 2005
152 posts
71 upvotes
Vancouver
ykhehra1 wrote: For snow which tire would be better, 20"x4" or 26"x4"? And 360/500W rear hub motor would be fine? Or i should go for midlle 500 motor?
For snow, get biggest tire you can get. 4” should be plenty. I got a 3” and that is still fine. Hub motors are not good for hills or difficult terrain. Mid drive is best, especially for balance, and I would get 750 watt if you can. In Canada, most offer 500 watt max, but some will offer an unlocked 750 as an option, exactly the same as US.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
1057 posts
288 upvotes
You mean 4" and biggest diameter, like 26" in this case?

I am looking for my son 12yr and 5'-7" for school by next year in summer and most of winter (yes, in Alberta 12yr can ride ebikes).

I am looking at two options, unless there is better out there. 26"x4" Costco for 1350+tax , and local guy selling 20"x4" but with bigger battery etc imported from China for under 1800+tax

RBSM SPORTS Big Boy E-Bike

Local seller
Screenshot_20200508_122841_com.android.chrome.jpg
Or buying mid motor and DIY would be better option and deal? (since both above are hub type)
Spatzi wrote: For snow, get biggest tire you can get. 4” should be plenty. I got a 3” and that is still fine. Hub motors are not good for hills or difficult terrain. Mid drive is best, especially for balance, and I would get 750 watt if you can. In Canada, most offer 500 watt max, but some will offer an unlocked 750 as an option, exactly the same as US.
Feb 16, 2005
152 posts
71 upvotes
Vancouver
ykhehra1 wrote: You mean 4" and biggest diameter, like 26" in this case?

I am looking for my son 12yr and 5'-7" for school by next year in summer and most of winter (yes, in Alberta 12yr can ride ebikes).

I am looking at two options, unless there is better out there. 26"x4" Costco for 1350+tax , and local guy selling 20"x4" but with bigger battery etc imported from China for under 1800+tax

RBSM SPORTS Big Boy E-Bike

Local seller

Screenshot_20200508_122841_com.android.chrome.jpg

Or buying mid motor and DIY would be better option and deal? (since both above are hub type)
Yes, 4 inches by 26. What brand is this Craigslist bike? Costco gives you a better tryout period with zero risk. CL guy won’t give you a refund. Personally, I’d rather get a new one. The cl bike has a 20 ah battery, but the Costco model is close at 17ah. Unless long distance travel is important, 17ah is plenty. Maybe give the cl one a ride and then try the Costco? Another option for 1500- 2000 is rize at https://rizebikes.ca/products/rize

No idea about their after sales service though. They still have not answered my email question from 5 days ago. Not a good sign. This is why I bought from bixtrix. Great service.
[OP]
Mar 20, 2013
927 posts
417 upvotes
Scarborough
Spatzi wrote: Yes, 4 inches by 26. What brand is this Craigslist bike? Costco gives you a better tryout period with zero risk. CL guy won’t give you a refund. Personally, I’d rather get a new one. The cl bike has a 20 ah battery, but the Costco model is close at 17ah. Unless long distance travel is important, 17ah is plenty. Maybe give the cl one a ride and then try the Costco? Another option for 1500- 2000 is rize at https://rizebikes.ca/products/rize

No idea about their after sales service though. They still have not answered my email question from 5 days ago. Not a good sign. This is why I bought from bixtrix. Great service.
The bike is only 13 ah, I would have loved to be 17. Still, I think it's decent at least. Also you are right. Costco generous policy can back you up for many things.

Bixtrix seems very expensive for me. Same experience with Rizen.
[OP]
Mar 20, 2013
927 posts
417 upvotes
Scarborough
I don't know how many of you ordered, but I just got shipping notification.
May 28, 2013
413 posts
194 upvotes
Laval, QC
Harpagon wrote: I don't know how many of you ordered, but I just got shipping notification.
Same here, bought 2 on May 4 and both are in route as of today the 10th.
[OP]
Mar 20, 2013
927 posts
417 upvotes
Scarborough
So, the bike arrived today.

Overall I am happy with it. I will have to see what the next 30 days will reserve. I have small doubts about it. The installation of the bike was quite straight forward. Not many issues if you are a little handy. Anyway tomorrow I will head for the closest bike shop to see if they can perform a tune-up (just to be on the safe side).

I had a short ride with the bike. I made it almost to 30 km. First impressions are good. There is a rattle, probably coming from the chain and also probably from the speed. The sensation is new, like someone will push you. When you get to pedal it feels ok, like a help. It's great on hills (I haven't had any steep ones) and also on wind. The battery is off, but it's the first use so i will see how will act. It came with a full battery.

Either the numbers are a fake or the bike has been set for US, because it looks like it will cross over the 32 km limit and also the motor shows 1000 watt at peak. It doesn't look to snappy for me though. It's OK, I don't complain, but probably someone who is picky won't be that happy.

As I said, I am quite happy. Still I am exploring some options with RAD bike which seems a little better for me. Also another annoying thing is the lack of USB port.
[OP]
Mar 20, 2013
927 posts
417 upvotes
Scarborough
woolo wrote: since OP s ebike is OOS , i m so regret i didn't pull the trigger earlier ..

is this a good alternative compares to OP model?
https://www.costco.ca/urban-cruzer-step ... 54223.html
I would dare to say that the option that you listed is worse. The brand is unknown (at least after i checked for a few). I think the autonomy is lower than the one we got. What made a red light for me is the weight capacity which I think is around 100 kg.

I am very on the fence with mine. I have to test it a little further, but RAD seems a more interesting option. Unfortunately is OOS and I have been dumb enough not to order in the winter clearance.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2010
2006 posts
965 upvotes
Toronto
Harpagon wrote: I would dare to say that the option that you listed is worse. The brand is unknown (at least after i checked for a few). I think the autonomy is lower than the one we got. What made a red light for me is the weight capacity which I think is around 100 kg.

I am very on the fence with mine. I have to test it a little further, but RAD seems a more interesting option. Unfortunately is OOS and I have been dumb enough not to order in the winter clearance.
argh i wish i didnt miss out the winter sales in Jan 2020 too :(
i really like the rad runner plus... but not the price tag lol