Shopping Discussion

Locked: Costco Implemented NO MASK NO ENTRY policy as of July 18 2020 ( Ontario and Quebec only)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2020 5:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
11988 posts
108036 upvotes
Ontario

Costco Implemented NO MASK NO ENTRY policy as of July 18 2020 ( Ontario and Quebec only)

Will you stop going to Costco because you are now required to wear a mask before shopping at Costco?
If you are, you might want to cancel your membership as well and never ever sign up again. Don't support a company that takes away your freedom.

Seems like we might get a 2nd wave according to other countries. I think every Costco should implement this policy since it is very hard to "social distance" inside the warehouse.
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
26 replies
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1687 posts
1176 upvotes
Vancouver
Don't they give you masks upon entry anyways? At least in the GVA they do..
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5441 posts
767 upvotes
Toronto
OP I'm curious, do they take away any other freedoms at Costco or just this one?
Jul 21, 2014
822 posts
128 upvotes
Canada
Thatdealguy wrote: Will you stop going to Costco because you are now required to wear a mask before shopping at Costco?
If you are, you might want to cancel your membership as well and never ever sign up again. Don't support a company that takes away your freedom.

Seems like we might get a 2nd wave according to other countries. I think every Costco should implement this policy since it is very hard to "social distance" inside the warehouse.
I’m also going to stop riding in cars. Those damn seatbelts take away from freedom too.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1188 upvotes
Most places have a clause in the bylaws . Where if you have health reason for not wearing one. You do not need to wear one . I have thin neck warmer I use as a mask . Much easier to breathe through . All stores have to do this mask thing . Why single out Costco .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1306 upvotes
As someone else said, why single out Costco?

It's Just a matter of time before masks become mandatory in every city. They made it mandatory here indoors everywhere about 2 weeks ago.

All the crybabies crying foul about having to wear a mask and losing their freedoms, grow up. If my kids who are 7 8 and 10 can understand why they need to wear a mask your stupid a*s can as well.

Perhaps we should all go back to the good ol days where parents used to smoke like chimneys in their cars with their kids in the back seat with the window down a crack? Our freedoms were lost when that happened as well.

This video is hilarious and he's a little vulgar with his language but he he basically nails down my thoughts on the matter. Everyone's a scientific expert or a civil rights lawyer and they are all experts because they googled some info on the net.

Last edited by HghSsociety on Jul 19th, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
11988 posts
108036 upvotes
Ontario
kindred_99 wrote: OP I'm curious, do they take away any other freedoms at Costco or just this one?
not sure but you can google Mask Freedom on youtube.
Nov 6, 2013
551 posts
475 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Praying that the first half of the post is sarcasm
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13025 posts
8265 upvotes
Markham
Why stop shopping in Costco due to this policy? They just made store even safer

You should stop shopping in the stores that make wearing face mask optional
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2003
2012 posts
346 upvotes
COU
That being said, does anyone know if the Opticians are open yet, or what level of service they supply now?

Sat my fat ass on my glasses yesterday and bent the frames. they are stupid flimsy designer ones and I'm sick of getting them fixed. I just need a temporary set of glasses until I can get to am eye doctor.
Jul 21, 2014
822 posts
128 upvotes
Canada
Riffer wrote: That being said, does anyone know if the Opticians are open yet, or what level of service they supply now?

Sat my fat ass on my glasses yesterday and bent the frames. they are stupid flimsy designer ones and I'm sick of getting them fixed. I just need a temporary set of glasses until I can get to am eye doctor.
I know some are requiring you call ahead & make an appt vs just walking in.

You could try clearly.ca & order online. Just got a new pair from them this week and pleased.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
11988 posts
108036 upvotes
Ontario
Riffer wrote: That being said, does anyone know if the Opticians are open yet, or what level of service they supply now?

They are opened. only 1 customer at a time.
Sep 16, 2015
619 posts
1267 upvotes
Calgary, AB
kindred_99 wrote: OP I'm curious, do they take away any other freedoms at Costco or just this one?
There's quite a long list of "freedoms" that are taken away when you enter a shop.

You are not free to take products without paying. You're not free to take things from other people's carts. You're not free to walk around the store wearing nothing but rubber boots and sunglasses. You're not free to light a fire in the BBQ aisle and crack open a beer. You are also not free to enter unless you're willing to cover your face and protect others from your potentially infectious slobber. It's simple, really.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2943 posts
3620 upvotes
Langley
Alivenate wrote: Don't they give you masks upon entry anyways? At least in the GVA they do..
Yea but some people still refuse to wear one.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14998 posts
11500 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Imagine a stores policy is for you to shop naked lol that'll stop thefts from happening.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5441 posts
767 upvotes
Toronto
Thatdealguy wrote: not sure but you can google Mask Freedom on youtube.
I don't need to google mask freedom I have seen enough people losing their minds after being asked to wear a mask.

You felt the need to point out that by requiring masks that Costco was taking away freedoms as if that was the only requirement to enter a Costco.

Can you go in barefoot? Without a shirt? Smoking a cigarette? In your underwear? Naked? Carrying a weapon? Without a membership?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
Costco wants as many people in their stores at any point in time.
They don't want to limit your freedom to spend as much money as is possible.
Mandatory mask is the lesser evil.
They may be planning to stop giving out free masks as well, hence this announcement.
They may have let people in in the past as well that were apprehensive about the masks despite them giving out free ones.
Asian stores started giving out masks as well, but now ask you to purchase one from them before you enter the store if you don't already have one.
Sep 26, 2011
361 posts
467 upvotes
To those who make comparisons to seatbelt and smoking laws: so, are you all assuming that mandatory face coverings will likewise become the permanent "new normal" even if a vaccine is developed?

Most (maybe all?) of the patchwork of the newly enacted municipal bylaws and medical orders have sunset/expiry clauses, as if they'll be deemed no longer necessary at some point. I predict after one or two reviews, they'll remove the expiry and make them all permanent, because no infectious disease ever completely goes away. Maybe then the provincial government(s) will enact more sweeping legislation that also covers private indoor spaces. Seems to ridiculous, to me, for example, that restaurant kitchen employees aren't legally required to mask up, let alone people who work in offices, warehouses, etc. And what's with politicians and media being generally exempt? Everytime a politician steps up to a microphone, they take off their mask, ignoring protocol they're supposed to be modeling. Most news anchors sit in their studio/newsroom without a mask, either. I'd rather the rules apply to everyone, everywhere... even outside! Some countries have required wearing masks outdoors, too. Because face coverings have become government-enforced, they might as well make strong universal laws.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13025 posts
8265 upvotes
Markham
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Imagine a stores policy is for you to shop naked lol that'll stop thefts from happening.
Lululemon

"perhaps one of Wilson’s most memorable marketing stunts was for the opening of the Robson St. store in Vancouver in late October. The first 30 people who showed up in the buff were awarded a free top and bottom. More than 40 Vancouverites arrived in robes and were told to get naked and stand outside of the store for 30 seconds, to ensure contest legitimacy."

https://strategyonline.ca/2003/01/13/lu ... -20030113/