Automotive

[Costco] Ingersoll Rand Tool Set 155pc $89.99 -- I could not find anything online about it. Can anybody comment? Thx

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2021 12:29 am
[OP]
May 30, 2015
302 posts
168 upvotes
GTA

[Costco] Ingersoll Rand Tool Set 155pc $89.99 -- I could not find anything online about it. Can anybody comment? Thx

Hello,
I was looking for a DIY tool set.
I know that the market is now saturated with all kind of sets like this or similar.
For the price, and compared with other sets at similar price at other stores, the Costco offer seems reasonable.

But I was not able to find pretty much anything online about this set.
It is not listed even at the manufacturer website (Ingersoll Rand -- irhandtools.com).

If anybody has used this already, can you please relate your impressions?

Thank you.
001_20210727_194208_price_tag.jpg
002_20210727_194340.jpg
003_20210727_194122.jpg
004_P1130844_set_content_01.jpg
005_P1130845_content_02.jpg
006_P1130854_taiwan.jpg
007_P1130831.JPG
008_P1130836.JPG
17 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
1240 posts
1963 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Bad buy. Wait for a can tire set with a 1/2 drive to go on "sale" for $150 or so. Pair it with a $30 mastercraft wrench set. Anything breaks, bring the broken tool back to CT and they will give you a new one.
[OP]
May 30, 2015
302 posts
168 upvotes
GTA
sickcars wrote: Crappy Tire sales right now on tools. You can get a bigger kit for around the same price - https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/hot-deal ... dware.html
OK. Thank you for your answer.
But that is the thing: I could not find a bigger set for $89.99.
I know about that sale at Canadian Tire, but for this price I could not see any set that is comparable with this one and not having a price which is not $30 to $50 higher.

Maybe you can include a link, if you found one.

Thx
[OP]
May 30, 2015
302 posts
168 upvotes
GTA
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: Bad buy. Wait for a can tire set with a 1/2 drive to go on "sale" for $150 or so. Pair it with a $30 mastercraft wrench set. Anything breaks, bring the broken tool back to CT and they will give you a new one.
I think that I agree with you, but $150 + $30 and now we are looking at $180 which is double the price of this one.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12071 posts
3691 upvotes
Ontario
For Around the same price, here are some options.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... c=true#spc

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/stan ... p.html#srp

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... p.html#srp

pishta wrote: OK. Thank you for your answer.
But that is the thing: I could not find a bigger set for $89.99.
I know about that sale at Canadian Tire, but for this price I could not see any set that is comparable with this one and not having a price which is not $30 to $50 higher.

Maybe you can include a link, if you found one.

Thx
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5958 posts
3444 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely love and hate relationship with CT.
[OP]
May 30, 2015
302 posts
168 upvotes
GTA

- Thank you.
- I think that the first link is the most comparable with the one from Costco and it also has a 1/2" drive. But, and this I don't know how much it matters, the one from Costco says it has 72 tooth ratchet. CT one has no info about that.
- The second link is Stanley and $30 more expensive. There are quite a number of negative reviews (some recent) pointing to the design of the carrying case and also issues with warranty.
- The last link points to an item which is significantly more expensive (i.e. $159.99 for the one in the last link).
- If that matters, the Ingersoll Rand from Costco is made in Taiwan.

And, unfortunately , I was not able to find pretty much any reviews about the Ingersoll Rand. Personally, I never heard of this brand.
I found only one reference in RFD where one RFD member mentions Ingersoll Rand too, but nobody has any experience with it.

canadian-tire-stanley-socket-set-129-99 ... #p34474146

In that thread they also point out how the market for these Tool Sets is over saturated now with all kind of unknown brands. They even point to some sort of hierarchy of brands, such as this:
Byzantium wrote: Mastercraft not covered here (because of it being a CT brand) but here's a rough rating

Harbor Freight/Pittsburg/Ironton < Craftsman/Kobalt/Stanley/Husky/Crescent < TEKTON/Gearwrench < Milwaukee/Dewalt/Channellock/SK Tools < Snap-on/Matco/MAC

https://garagespot.com/hands-on-milwauk ... ckets-set/
Sep 8, 2012
133 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
I would hate the skips in those sets, if you're working on cars then I'd want a larger range of sizes in the 3/8 metric set without skips. I spent a long time looking at the CT Mastercraft sets but ended up spending more money on a GearWrench set. It's incredibly frustrating if you buy a set and then find you need a bunch of the skipped sizes, and even if you do then buy the single sockets/wrenches etc to fill the skips, then you need to store/transport them separately. Also, having the 1/2 sets would be good for the sockets, there are plenty of times where I need to use a 1/2" breaker bar to get suspension parts free that a 3/8" is a challenge (and then normally you'd need a 1/2" torque wrench to fasten them back to proper spec too). Also a set of metric hex sockets is very handy, they'll allow for use with breaker bars and torque wrenches.

My use is mostly for BMWs and Subaru though so metric is the most important for me. The BMWs use a lot of hex for brake components like rotor screws and slider pins.

What's the primary use case?
Aug 18, 2013
238 posts
470 upvotes
Next door
Based on 40+ years of wrenching I can say that stuff breaks and a lifetime warranty is only good if you can get it replaced quickly and cheaply. Canadian Tire does that well.

I have no idea how easy it will be to use the warranty on this set from Costco. I have a few pieces of 30 year old US made Craftsman to replace but no idea how to get them exchanged.

An easy to use warranty is important.
[OP]
May 30, 2015
302 posts
168 upvotes
GTA
jmason86 wrote: I would hate the skips in those sets, if you're working on cars then I'd want a larger range of sizes in the 3/8 metric set without skips. I spent a long time looking at the CT Mastercraft sets but ended up spending more money on a GearWrench set. It's incredibly frustrating if you buy a set and then find you need a bunch of the skipped sizes, and even if you do then buy the single sockets/wrenches etc to fill the skips, then you need to store/transport them separately. Also, having the 1/2 sets would be good for the sockets, there are plenty of times where I need to use a 1/2" breaker bar to get suspension parts free that a 3/8" is a challenge (and then normally you'd need a 1/2" torque wrench to fasten them back to proper spec too). Also a set of metric hex sockets is very handy, they'll allow for use with breaker bars and torque wrenches.

My use is mostly for BMWs and Subaru though so metric is the most important for me. The BMWs use a lot of hex for brake components like rotor screws and slider pins.

What's the primary use case?
Thank you for your answer.
- It looks like you are much more advanced than I am. Perhaps you are a mechanic.
- I don't think that I will ever do any complex maintenance or repair jobs.
- I am pretty much a beginner. I got my first car in life about 7 years ago (car is a 2010 Toyota Matrix). But I am not as young as it might sound. I just never had a car before.
- Now I am trying to save some money by doing some maintenance on this car. And is not just about saving money, but I think it is pretty much the only way to make sure the job is done properly. And that comes down to how difficult is to find a mechanic that you can trust.
- I started with swapping the wheels (with tires on them) in the Spring and in Winter. I guess, that prompted me to buy this, maybe 5-6 years ago (It is on sale now, but I don't remember what was the sale price when I bought this):

- This was probably part of the first tools I bought for car maintenance.
- Maybe around the same time, I bought this Kobalt 6904 8-Amp 1/2-in Reversible Corded Impact Wrench Kit for $79 (at the moment not available). I must have read this thread at that time: lowes-kobalt-6904-8-amp-1-2-reversible- ... t-1864131/ . It turned out that I do not use it that much since I prefer to use a 1/2" Maximum Breaker bar. I can deal with the lug nuts by hand and I have time since I am not in any hurry to finish quickly (I think that I bought it when they had a sale for the Maximum Torque Wrench + the 24 inch Breaker Bar).
- The Kobalt came with a 21 mm deep Impact socket which I can use for tires.
- Anyway, I bought other things too: Oil Extractor when it was on sale for $99 (https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... =extractor) -- I already used it once (since I am not brave enough to get under the car even though I have the jack stands and an Arcan floor jack, wheel chocks. I use them, but I cannot get over the fear of putting myself under the car, no matter what kind of tools are used to raise the car. I really wish that they will legally allow the trench in the garage. Not sure why they made it not acceptable, but that would be the only method that I would trust to get under the car).

- Now I am planning to change the coolant fluid + the thermostat. I think that I can do that without getting under the car. Also planning to do a second change (not flush) of the transmission oil using the oil extractor.

- Back to the Tool Sets topic: they really made it very complicated to chose one with this multitude of brands and names that nobody heard about before.
- Well, I guess we will keep buying things, some of which will never be used. It is good for GDP, I guess ...
Last edited by pishta on Aug 11th, 2021 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12071 posts
3691 upvotes
Ontario
i have the Stanley yellow one and have had it for almost 2 - 3 without any issues and its good because of the case & drawers.

its up to to you what you think is best for you, just gave you some options for bigger kits.
pishta wrote: - Thank you.
- I think that the first link is the most comparable with the one from Costco and it also has a 1/2" drive. But, and this I don't know how much it matters, the one from Costco says it has 72 tooth ratchet. CT one has no info about that.
- The second link is Stanley and $30 more expensive. There are quite a number of negative reviews (some recent) pointing to the design of the carrying case and also issues with warranty.
- The last link points to an item which is significantly more expensive (i.e. $159.99 for the one in the last link).
- If that matters, the Ingersoll Rand from Costco is made in Taiwan.

And, unfortunately , I was not able to find pretty much any reviews about the Ingersoll Rand. Personally, I never heard of this brand.
I found only one reference in RFD where one RFD member mentions Ingersoll Rand too, but nobody has any experience with it.

canadian-tire-stanley-socket-set-129-99 ... #p34474146

In that thread they also point out how the market for these Tool Sets is over saturated now with all kind of unknown brands. They even point to some sort of hierarchy of brands, such as this:
[OP]
May 30, 2015
302 posts
168 upvotes
GTA
notunknown wrote: Based on 40+ years of wrenching I can say that stuff breaks and a lifetime warranty is only good if you can get it replaced quickly and cheaply. Canadian Tire does that well.

I have no idea how easy it will be to use the warranty on this set from Costco. I have a few pieces of 30 year old US made Craftsman to replace but no idea how to get them exchanged.

An easy to use warranty is important.
Thank you for your post.
Definitely the warranty and the ability to get the parts exchanged when they break, it is very important, especially for professional mechanics.

I kept reading many posts here at RFD and possibly on other pages on Internet.
Some people are saying that even that "Lifetime warranty" which Canadian Tire is offering for many many years, is now starting to change.
Apparently there are some Mastercraft products for which that might not be the case.

Obviously you have a lot of experience. I was wondering if you noticed any changes in the way Canadian Tire is handling their warranty programs.

Thx
Last edited by pishta on Aug 10th, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
May 30, 2015
302 posts
168 upvotes
GTA
sickcars wrote: i have the Stanley yellow one and have had it for almost 2 - 3 without any issues and its good because of the case & drawers.

its up to to you what you think is best for you, just gave you some options for bigger kits.
Thank you for taking the time to respond to this.
You already have experience with using that set and that is why your post is valuable.

Thank you.
Aug 18, 2013
238 posts
470 upvotes
Next door
pishta wrote: Thank you for your post.
Definitely the warranty and the ability to get the parts exchanged when they break, it is very important, especially for professional mechanics.

I kept reading many posts here at RFD and possibly on other pages on Internet.
Some people are saying that even that "Lifetime warranty" which Canadian Tire is offering for many many years, is now starting to change.
Apparently there are some Mastercraft products for which that might not be the case.

Obviously you have a lot of experience. I was wondering if you noticed any changes in the way Canadian Tire is handling their warranty programs.

Thx
Haven’t had to exchange much at CT but the odd time I did there was no issue. I always use the proper size tool such as 1/2" drive for larger fasteners rather than a cheater bar on a 3/8". For simple stuff the set is probably fine for around the house. Thursday’s CT flyer has some Stanley black chrome sets on for what looks like a decent price. They even advertise a Lifetime Exchange Warranty.

If you want to see how much you can spend, browse the Snap-On site. Easy to spend $5-10,000 on a set.

Good luck on your new adventure in wrenching.
[OP]
May 30, 2015
302 posts
168 upvotes
GTA
notunknown wrote: Haven’t had to exchange much at CT but the odd time I did there was no issue. I always use the proper size tool such as 1/2" drive for larger fasteners rather than a cheater bar on a 3/8". For simple stuff the set is probably fine for around the house. Thursday’s CT flyer has some Stanley black chrome sets on for what looks like a decent price. They even advertise a Lifetime Exchange Warranty.

If you want to see how much you can spend, browse the Snap-On site. Easy to spend $5-10,000 on a set.

Good luck on your new adventure in wrenching.

Yes, I read bout the top tier tools such as Snap-On. Obviously I do not have the money for those and also it would be a huge overkill given what skills I have.

My kind of piece of mind is that Costco usually has a good ratio between quality and price for the products that they sell, and also the price is better than similar products at other stores.
Also, I assume that if I ran into issues I can try to use the Costco return policy.
Another reason that somehow I see it as in favor of this one when compared with other tool sets, is that is made in Taiwan. Somehow, for me, that sounds better than some other manufacture locations.

Also:
Pros: Maybe it does not have skipped sizes as it is the habit with CT (very frustrating)
Cons: Not sure if I like the markings on the sockets and wrenches which seems to be just with some kind of paint and no engraving. I am not sure how will stand in time. Although, considering how much skills I have and how often I will use this, it will probably be fine.

Thank you.
Jul 3, 2017
154 posts
236 upvotes
Bought this set from Deerfoot Costco in Calgary. Marked down to $59.97 which is much easier to justify the purchase.

I already have a few sets at home that I've accumulated over the years. I will be primarily be using this set for junkyard runs since what I use most are in the kit without having to bring different separate set, plus for road trips to have on hand for emergency repair. Quality is you get what you pay for. Nothing fancy, just basic quality.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
7446 posts
4376 upvotes
Vancouver
Lol, I own Ingersoll Rand stock and never knew they made tool kits Face With Tears Of Joy