[Costco] iRobot Roomba i7 + Auto Dirt Disposal $1199.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2019 8:30 pm
[OP]
Aug 14, 2014
465 posts
237 upvotes

[Costco] iRobot Roomba i7 + Auto Dirt Disposal $1199.99

Been waiting for this to go on sale for quite a while, especially at Costco. This includes the new auto cleaning base which will allow the Roomba to do ~30 runs before you need to empty the bin (I have heard it is quite loud when using it however). It has Wi-Fi enabled Alexa/Google assistant support, mapping and 1 virtual wall barrier.

While this is expensive, I get one shot to prove to my family this technology is worth it so willing to spend.
44 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
2131 posts
846 upvotes
SW Ontario
I bought this in March when Costco had it on sale for this same price and I love it - "Hey google, vacuum the kitchen" and off she goes to the kitchen LOL
May 27, 2017
82 posts
82 upvotes
$1200... Damn I could buy a car with that cash
Sep 2, 2017
357 posts
165 upvotes
Lolvtec wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 9:00 pm
But can that car text you in the middle of the night saying it's close to a cliff
Dec 16, 2008
761 posts
286 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Lolvtec wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 9:00 pm
In an era where phones are sold for over a grand, this cleaner suits the modern life style well.
Jan 2, 2012
197 posts
141 upvotes
According to my research, the technology is not really ready yet. You can't set exclusion zones so this vac will get stuck in the same place every day. The dustbin is stupidly small. The software, mapping and battery life is inferior to the Chinese knockoffs. This is a waste of money IMO. Wait for the next revision.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2277 posts
1136 upvotes
Kitchener
kooroshkabir wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 9:07 pm
In an era where phones are sold for over a grand, this cleaner suits the modern life style well.
Ok, so serious question: What makes this vacuum so special? And I mean, compared to less expensive Roomba's or other less expensive robotic vacuums?

I do own a less expensive robotic vacuum, which does a great job on hard floors (never have to sweep again). For carpets, which I have 2 area rugs, I use my Dyson. Dyson is NOT great on hard floors, and robotic vacuum not great on carpets. Does this vacuum somehow do a better job on carpets than a Dyson? And as for hard floors, what makes it better?

Not that I would ever pay $1,200 for a robotic vacuum -- I am just wondering.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Jul 29, 2016
115 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
Was told the next generation design will allow the dustbin moves to the curb side every garbage collection day and wait for garbage truck come by to dump, then move back to original corner. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2007
1138 posts
337 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 9:41 pm
Ok, so serious question: What makes this vacuum so special? And I mean, compared to less expensive Roomba's or other less expensive robotic vacuums?

I do own a less expensive robotic vacuum, which does a great job on hard floors (never have to sweep again). For carpets, which I have 2 area rugs, I use my Dyson. Dyson is NOT great on hard floors, and robotic vacuum not great on carpets. Does this vacuum somehow do a better job on carpets than a Dyson? And as for hard floors, what makes it better?

Not that I would ever pay $1,200 for a robotic vacuum -- I am just wondering.
Maybe you should look into the i7 then, yours for only $899.99 or 9 easy payments for $99.99. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

I own the i7 without the auto disposal. It has the highest suction power out of it's whole family of vacuums and it works great on carpets and laminate floors (don't know about other types of floors because I don't have any). It has a lot and I do mean a lot of tech on board. It is a set it and forget it kind of vac. It knows where it is at all times so that it can run back to its base, charge, and resume where it left off, it knows which room is where which it learns after cleaning your space 2 or 3 times. It can even detect if you've moved your furniture and asks you whether you've done some move-arounds in your space. You can mark your rooms on this learned map of each floor in the app. Then you can just tell Google Home "Hey Google, clean the kitchen" and it knows where to clean. I have it on an automatic schedule to clean the whole floor twice a week.

For me this is extremely important. I got sh1t to do, rather than run around the house and clean all the time. Laundry takes up almost half a day every week. Us millennial don't have time for trivial sh1t like this. A brotha's gotta earn cuz when u get money, u get paid. The streets don't stop turnin'. I can't be cleaning the house by myself all the time. I use my i7 for vacuuming and iRobot Braava 380t for mopping to keep things automated.
Oct 27, 2017
209 posts
126 upvotes
Esg876 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 8:22 pm
This includes the new auto cleaning base which will allow the Roomba to do ~30 runs before you need to empty the bin (I have heard it is quite loud when using it however).
Yup, very loud. Runs for 10 seconds when it returns to the base. But it can then resume where it left off instead of sitting there waiting to get manually emptied.