Food & Drink

Costco issues Kirkland cookie recall. Pieces of metal may be in your cookies!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2010 5:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18294 posts
1262 upvotes
Elmira

Costco issues Kirkland cookie recall. Pieces of metal may be in your cookies!

Just thought I'd post this heads up, in case people haven't been listening to the news today.
Aug 10, 2010 18:20:33 PM

Costco Wholesale Canada has issued a voluntary recall of all Kirkland Signature cookies purchase between July 26 and August 7, inclusively.

Costco says the recalled products should not be consumed because they may contain pieces of metal.

So far there have been no reported injuries.

Customers are being asked to return the product to Costco Warehouse for a full refund.

The following products have been recalled:

Kirkland Signature Cookies
Chocolate Lovers Cookie Pack, item #169327
Chocolate Chunk Cookies, item #237361

For more information contact Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd. at 1-800-463-3783, or visit their website at costco.ca.

Really, so we eat your cookies laced with metal and all you offer us is a full refund? Wow, how lucky of us. Not even a gift card or anything like that? Give me a break, Costco.. Huge corporation like that and all they will do is exchange or refund your cookies.. Sigh.
a closed mind is already defeated
73 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2003
1234 posts
109 upvotes
Calgary
duckdown wrote: Really, so we eat your cookies laced with metal and all you offer us is a full refund? Wow, how lucky of us. Not even a gift card or anything like that? Give me a break, Costco.. Huge corporation like that and all they will do is exchange or refund your cookies.. Sigh.
What would you prefer they did? Free membership for a year and a $50 gift card?
Sigh.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18294 posts
1262 upvotes
Elmira
Sure, wouldn't kill them to give you a $20 gift card or some kind of free item. For the people who actually bought and returned the cookies, that doesn't seem so far fetched to me.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23250 posts
5042 upvotes
Toronto
damn...that really sucks...

What would be funny is if they give you coupons for more cookies....and they have more metal in them....booo!!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18294 posts
1262 upvotes
Elmira
ji2o0k wrote: damn...that really sucks...

What would be funny is if they give you coupons for more cookies....and they have more metal in them....booo!!
LOL! Hey, at least they're high in iron, right!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6674 posts
1416 upvotes
duckdown wrote: Just thought I'd post this heads up, in case people haven't been listening to the news today.

Really, so we eat your cookies laced with metal and all you offer us is a full refund? Wow, how lucky of us. Not even a gift card or anything like that? Give me a break, Costco.. Huge corporation like that and all they will do is exchange or refund your cookies.. Sigh.
But if you didn't eat a piece of cookie with metal in it, why should they give you mroe than a refund for the purchase of the cookies? Surely you don't wish you HAD bitten into a piece of metal while eating a cookie just so that you'd be compensated for it?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18294 posts
1262 upvotes
Elmira
amz155 wrote: But if you didn't eat a piece of cookie with metal in it, why should they give you mroe than a refund for the purchase of the cookies? Surely you don't wish you HAD bitten into a piece of metal while eating a cookie just so that you'd be compensated for it?

Of course not, but if you have a family of say 4, with 2 young kids, and you have a box of these cookies in the cupboard sitting there, I think the least they could do is give you a 20 dollar gift card for your inconvenience, all things considered. Hell, your 2 small kids could have taken a bite out of those cookies while you're not around, and regardless you have to bring them back for your 'refund' which is also time consuming, so I stand by it.

Flame away, Costco has lots of money, they can do better than this.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23250 posts
5042 upvotes
Toronto
amz155 wrote: But if you didn't eat a piece of cookie with metal in it, why should they give you mroe than a refund for the purchase of the cookies? Surely you don't wish you HAD bitten into a piece of metal while eating a cookie just so that you'd be compensated for it?
but it is the potential to bite in the cookie with metal in it...

hence why Costco is voluntarily recalling every single product in that run....it is the potential of injury...

i know that i would be put off on eating those cookies and probably would just return them and not want another batch....

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18294 posts
1262 upvotes
Elmira
ji2o0k wrote: but it is the potential to bite in the cookie with metal in it...

hence why Costco is voluntarily recalling every single product in that run....it is the potential of injury...
Exactly.. I'm getting a real kick out of these responses actually
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22067 posts
715 upvotes
Newmarket
duckdown wrote: Just thought I'd post this heads up, in case people haven't been listening to the news today.

Can you think of any other recalls that gave out "perks" to their customers? I cant.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18294 posts
1262 upvotes
Elmira
stealth wrote: Can you think of any other recalls that gave out "perks" to their customers? I cant.
I guess they just end up getting the bejesus sued out of them instead

I never paid attention to it before, but who knows. I seem to be in the minority here but I can take the heat..

Bring it on, wimps :)

I stand by my opinion, you should be given a gift card or some kind of free service for the inconvenience.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22067 posts
715 upvotes
Newmarket
duckdown wrote: I guess they just end up getting the bejesus sued out of them instead

I never paid attention to it before, but who knows. I seem to be in the minority here but I can take the heat..

Bring it on, wimps :)

I stand by my opinion, you should be given a gift card or some kind of free service for the inconvenience.
Oh, I'm not saying it wouldnt be nice if they did....just that that isnt typically what happens, so Costco shouldnt be singled out. Generally they're ahead of the pack when it comes to standign behind their products.

2 other companies that i think have been good this way are Boston Pizza and Starbucks.
Both have taken steps to make thigns right when things have gone wrong, and gone a little further than expected.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18294 posts
1262 upvotes
Elmira
Cool cool, understood.. I just hate how these huge billion dollar corporations don't do anything except offer the customer an exchange or refund, for a product that could have potentially caused your little daughter to choke.. Doesn't this seem ****ed up to anyone else?
Jun 29, 2005
906 posts
25 upvotes
No, I completely disagree with you, duckdown.

Costco offers this voluntary recall likely because they found out one batch of cookies might have been contaminated with this hazard, and will recall all batches made over several days for the possibility.

To offer everyone who purchased cookies and brought it back additional money would be ridiculous and over the top.
xIcewind
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18294 posts
1262 upvotes
Elmira
That's your opinion, but I disagree with your disagreement then.. This is a huge multi million dollar company who's excuse to your possibly ingesting metal or one of your children possibly ingesting metal is "Oh sorry, here's your refund".. Maybe you're so docile that it doesn't bother you, but I'd personally throw the box of cookies back in their face and tell them to stick it up their a**
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6455 posts
821 upvotes
BC
stealth wrote: Can you think of any other recalls that gave out "perks" to their customers? I cant.
McDonalds gave back extra on the shrek glasses.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22067 posts
715 upvotes
Newmarket
Keelie wrote: McDonalds gave back extra on the shrek glasses.
And well they should, for tackifying kitchens across the country with those things.
But Costco is only nearly killing people. ;)
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12425 posts
2170 upvotes
wtf...i buy these cookies and didn't get any free metal with them. scammers
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18294 posts
1262 upvotes
Elmira
lmao.. chew them a little more thoroughly, you might get lucky yet

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)