• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2019 2:34 pm
[OP]
Mar 6, 2015
275 posts
772 upvotes
New Brunswick

[Costco] Kaizen 100% Whey Isolate Protein Powder 2kg $37.99

Looks like next week is the semi-annual Kaizen sale at Costco. Starts Monday September 16. Just putting the word out.

https://100wheyisolate.com/
148 replies
Jul 19, 2008
7 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks bunmin I always stock up at these sales.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20307 posts
2295 upvotes
YUL
Combat is the same price right now. Why Kaizen over Combat? I haven’t tried Kaizen but Combat tastes very good
Feb 14, 2017
156 posts
57 upvotes
najibs wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 8:27 am
Combat is the same price right now. Why Kaizen over Combat? I haven’t tried Kaizen but Combat tastes very good
The ingredients would be much higher quality/healthier with Kaizen whereas Combat would have lots of artificial flavors and sweeteners like sucralose. Also combat has whey protein concentrate which is lower source of protein than Kaizen isolate protein.
Jul 15, 2009
256 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
najibs wrote:
I did the math in another thread.

Value wise, both MP and Kaizen cost about the same per gram protein when on sale:

44.16 g protein / dollar for MusclePharm Combat Powder
43.86 g protein / dollar for Kaizen

The biggest difference between the two is that Kaizen is isolate, so all the lactose has been removed, whereas MP is a blend--so anyone lactose intolerant will want the Kaizen. Kaizen is also completely sugar free (uses Stevia sweetener) vs. MP which has a couple of grams of sugar per scoop (might be an issue for people following some strict keto diets). MP mixes a few different sources of protein--whey blend, casein, egg white.

I'm used to the taste of Kaizen and it's pretty good and it dissolves in water easily.

For the price, I'd probably go with Kaizen because it's purer protein (35g protein in a 42g scoop = 83% by mass) whereas MP seems to have a lot of other stuff/filler (25g per 35g scoop = 71.4% by mass).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5247 posts
905 upvotes
Keep in mind musclepharm got caught protein spiking. I would never trust them.

On another note I know the owner of kaizen. Man he has some money now. I remember seeing kaizen on the shelves 20 years ago but never took it serious.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2007
3012 posts
422 upvotes
Get the isolate from Kaizen.
As mentioned, don't support any brands that have protein spiked in the past.
Or wait for a my protein sale.
RFD iTrader:76|||0
HEATWARE:15|||0
EBAY:220|||0
Jul 26, 2011
423 posts
410 upvotes
NORTH YORK
anatman wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 9:04 am
I did the math in another thread.

Value wise, both MP and Kaizen cost about the same per gram protein when on sale:

44.16 g protein / dollar for MusclePharm Combat Powder
43.86 g protein / dollar for Kaizen

The biggest difference between the two is that Kaizen is isolate, so all the lactose has been removed, whereas MP is a blend--so anyone lactose intolerant will want the Kaizen. Kaizen is also completely sugar free (uses Stevia sweetener) vs. MP which has a couple of grams of sugar per scoop (might be an issue for people following some strict keto diets). MP mixes a few different sources of protein--whey blend, casein, egg white.

I'm used to the taste of Kaizen and it's pretty good and it dissolves in water easily.

For the price, I'd probably go with Kaizen because it's purer protein (35g protein in a 42g scoop = 83% by mass) whereas MP seems to have a lot of other stuff/filler (25g per 35g scoop = 71.4% by mass).
Oh the kaizen is dairy free?
Jul 15, 2009
256 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
mapleleafs92 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 4:30 pm
Oh the kaizen is dairy free?
No. The protein source is 100% whey (the liquid left over from making yogurt/cheese from cows milk). But the "isolate" that Kaizen sells has been cross-flow micro filtered to remove carbohydrates (including lactose) and fat--so basically only the protein is left. Protein "isolates" (in which the protein has been 'isolated' from carbs & fat) involve more processing and are according more expensive than the standard protein "concentrates" or "blends" which leave the milk lactose + fat in.
Jun 16, 2010
39 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Does the promo usually only last one week?
Jul 28, 2007
432 posts
677 upvotes
Calgary
I wish they had a strawberry or any berry version of this. The Optimum natural strawberry tastes a lot nicer with berry shakes than vanilla does.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1440 posts
1351 upvotes
najibs wrote:
It's not just about taste and protein count. Combat is filled with junk ingredients, like sucralose, acesulfame potassium,soy lecithin and artificial flavors. It's what a teen would choose to supplement with just because of taste. But why bother spending money on a supplement when in the long run it's potentially undercutting your health? I will give combat props on their protein bars - they're dope (crispy and delicious..the best mouthfeel) and a very occasional guilt free indulgence of mine.