Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Keurig K-Elite Plus+ 104.99$ (50$ off) 99.99$ in store today and sunday only

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2019 7:28 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9502 upvotes
Winchester
metaphor_ wrote: If you're looking for an environmentally unfriendly product, Keurig machines are for you. When a product's inventor shows true remorse for having invented it, you know it is bad.

There's a saeco automatic espresso machine on sale in another thread which makes far better coffee and wastes far fewer resources.
We stopped using our Keurig until recyclable pods are available. Nespresso fully recycles theirs so I have guilt-reduced espressos every once in a while

That being said, I don't pay much heed to an inventor's remorse when said inventor sold his rights for $50,000 a couple of decades ago, long before it became a commercial success. While the sentiment is spot-on, a "sounds like sour grapes" spokesperson might not be the best choice.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Apr 29, 2016
149 posts
135 upvotes
Alberta
Bought at original price from Costco, no regrets. Great machine, should have M-Cup included. Very happy with it after 5-6 months :)
Jul 14, 2018
595 posts
761 upvotes
Dwarfff wrote: Which one is better: Breakfast Blend Fairtrade or Pacific Bold Fairtrade?
Kirkland Breakfast blend sucks. You might as well be drinking flavored water.
Nov 28, 2016
191 posts
192 upvotes
NinjaSaves wrote: Kirkland Breakfast blend sucks. You might as well be drinking flavored water.
Bought the Tim’s original, good machine, good coffee!
Jul 14, 2018
595 posts
761 upvotes
Dwarfff wrote: Bought the Tim’s original, good machine, good coffee!
Yep, that's what I usually have in the afternoon.
I use a reusable kcup that allows me to fill my own coffee grounds in. Got a giant can of Tim's pre-ground coffee when it was on sale in Costco a few weeks ago. This way I don't have to worry about running out of kcups or paying a high price-per-cup.

Only problem is the sludge at the bottom of the cup, but I can live with that.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
4169 posts
6806 upvotes
Langley, BC
metaphor_ wrote: If you're looking for an environmentally unfriendly product, Keurig machines are for you. When a product's inventor shows true remorse for having invented it, you know it is bad.

There's a saeco automatic espresso machine on sale in another thread which makes far better coffee and wastes far fewer resources.
I only buy 100% compostable pods, my parents on the other hand... chuck the regular ones right into the trash... ugh...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5083 posts
2804 upvotes
Edmonton
steven80 wrote: I only buy 100% compostable pods, my parents on the other hand... chuck the regular ones right into the trash... ugh...
So, you have to ask though what does it mean to recycle? Here in Edmonton they announced their world famous recycling center is done...Closed due to safety concerns. Numerous cites around here have stopped blue bag or recycling pickup.

Basically, its all going to the trash regardless of what you do. In theory I guess the compostable ones degrade better, but all mixed into a bunch of unfriendly stuff you gotta wonder what's happening.

I'm all for recycling, but unless they can sort out clean from dirty, nobody wants our grade of plastics. Also blame the manufacturers and packagers for over packaging, unfriendly labels, poor choice of non-recyclable plastics, etc etc.

And related to the post, we bought one of these months ago and it's great. We use a combination of pods and the reusable mesh ones. Been using the grounds here and there to deter ants.. If I can figure out what plants like them might try mixing into the garden a bit.
Aug 1, 2005
311 posts
275 upvotes
aasoror wrote: Perhaps true few years ago but now most of the pods are recyclable.
https://www.keurig.ca/recyclable-kcup-pods
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but most single stream recycling isn't recycled. Even when materials are recycled, the process takes enormous amounts of energy, which results in the burning of more fossil fuels. And plastics leach into the ecosystem, resulting in the average person ingesting 200 particles of plastic every day.

For the sake of our future it's so important to focus on the other two Rs: Reducing and Reusing. Rather than getting a Keurig, consider something like a nice stovetop espresso machine (if you have some time), or an automatic espresso machine (if you are in a rush). The added benefit, for coffee people, is that you will get much tastier coffee! And from a cost savings perspective, you'll actually find the total cost of ownership for an automatic espresso machine to be far lower than a pod machine.