Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Kidde 10-year Hardwired Talking Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm, 3-pack, $94.99 (Reg: $129.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2021 2:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5372 posts
1547 upvotes
Kanata

[Costco] Kidde 10-year Hardwired Talking Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm, 3-pack, $94.99 (Reg: $129.99)

I was looking for a hard-wired one instead of the ones on sale from Lowes. On sale at Costco, looks like just for today.
Lowes thread: lowes-first-alert-battery-powered-10-ye ... 2434115/4/
The Kidde i12010SCOCA is an AC/DC powered, talking ionization smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarm that operates on a 120 V power source with sealed-in lithium battery backup. The voice alarm announces “Fire! Fire!” when a smoke or fire hazard is detected and announces “Caution! Carbon monoxide!” when a CO hazard is detected or “Low battery!” The i12010SCOCA contains a 10-year tamper-proof battery that eliminates the need for battery replacement, and ends worry over unauthorized battery removal. The alarm provides continuous protection from smoke, fire and CO, even during power outages.

Features:

Combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarm
Voice alarm
Interconnectable with up to 24 other Kidde devices
Hardwired with 10-year battery backup
Intelligent sensor technology
Hush®/test button
End-of-life notification
CAN/CSA 6.19-01 and CAN/ULC-S531

Specification:

Dimension (L × W × H): 12.9 cm × 3.8 cm × 12.9 cm (5.1 in. × 1.5 in. × 5.1 in.)
Weight: 0.22 kg (0.5 lb.)

Warranty: 10 years, limited

Model: i12010SCOCA
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
19 replies
Jan 29, 2020
438 posts
424 upvotes
I installed these about 3 years ago. This August, the smoke detector on one of them started going off around 4:00 in the morning, about every third day. I replace batteries every year on my birthday, put a fresh one in anyway - no joy.

Not eager to replace them with the same type. It is not fun to go to the garage, haul a ladder upstairs, and climb it while still half asleep.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1108 posts
959 upvotes
Cashforlife wrote: I installed these about 3 years ago. This August, the smoke detector on one of them started going off around 4:00 in the morning, about every third day. I replace batteries every year on my birthday, put a fresh one in anyway - no joy.

Not eager to replace them with the same type. It is not fun to go to the garage, haul a ladder upstairs, and climb it while still half asleep.
These units are supposed to have a sealed 10 year battery, are you sure it's the same model?
Jan 29, 2020
438 posts
424 upvotes
Tapout123 wrote: These units are supposed to have a sealed 10 year battery, are you sure it's the same model?
Nice catch. Mine are "talking" hardwired Kidde models that were sold by Costco but they take 9V batteries.

The thing is, it's safety-of-life equipment that's protecting my family. I was aware of the failure because of the spurious alarm. But it could also have failed silently, and I would have never known. I'm looking for something like "< 10^-9 critical failures per hour."

If you look at the comments on the Costco product page, it's about evenly split between "five stars" and "one star." At least one other person is reporting the failure I experienced.
2021-01-01_10-49-36.png
Last edited by Cashforlife on Jan 1st, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 21, 2008
530 posts
32 upvotes
Montreal
I'm renovating a house right now. Good timing. I picked 9 to cover the house correctly. In QC, it's like one per room per code now :/
Jul 30, 2010
600 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
My existing wired alarms have a 3 port outlet plug. Anybody know if this would fit ? All i see on the picture are 3 expose wires and not in a enclosed port
Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1418 posts
1419 upvotes
GTA
hyperzore wrote: My existing wired alarms have a 3 port outlet plug. Anybody know if this would fit ? All i see on the picture are 3 expose wires and not in a enclosed port
Thanks
It depends on the age of your existing wire connector along with the brand you’re replacing. When I moved into my current place, it was going on 27 years and had different connectors. I believe Kidde provides connectors for you to replace existing ones if this is the case, inside the package. I shut off the breaker and swapped out the wire connector before installing the Kidde combo alarm. I honestly can’t remember what brand I swapped them from and where I got the Kidde alarms, but I definitely needed to replace the connectors.

I believe my case is rare, I’ve replaced many alarms for family members and the connectors always end up being compatible.

EDIT: I didn’t answer the question properly. Yes, the alarm comes with a connector already installed on the end of the wires coming from the unit itself.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11325 posts
2783 upvotes
Kingston
Note that these are Ionization smoke alarms

From Consumer Reports:
Fires burn differently: Some flare, some smolder. You’ll find three types of smoke detectors on the market, but only one is effective against both types of fire.

Ionization Smoke Detectors are best at detecting the small particles typical of fast, flaming fires. But in our tests, all tested poorly for detecting smoky, smoldering fires. Ionization units are prone to false alarms from burnt food and steam, so don't mount them near a kitchen or bathroom.

Photoelectric Smoke Detectors are best at detecting the large particles typical of smoky, smoldering fires but poor at detecting fast, flaming fires. Photoelectric units are less prone to false alarms from burnt food, so they may be a better fit in kitchen areas.

Dual-Sensor Smoke Detectors combine ionization and photoelectric technology to detect both flaming and smoldering fires, offering you the best protection and saving you the hassle of installing two separate smoke detectors. But you may still need to install carbon monoxide detectors, if appropriate for your home.

It doesn't say it here but elsewhere I've read that Ionization are 30-90 seconds faster for fast flaming fires. Photoelectric are many minutes faster for smoldering fires.
Dec 11, 2020
5 posts
All dwellings must have at least one smoke alarm per floor, including the basement.

However, in residential buildings that were built after June 2015, a smoke alarm must also be installed in each room where people sleep, as well as between rooms where people sleep and the rest of the floor.

If the building is home to people who need assistance to evacuate, a smoke alarm must be installed between each room, living area or common spaces, no matter the building's year of construction.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
1150 posts
164 upvotes
Mojojojo2069 wrote: All dwellings must have at least one smoke alarm per floor, including the basement.

However, in residential buildings that were built after June 2015, a smoke alarm must also be installed in each room where people sleep, as well as between rooms where people sleep and the rest of the floor.

If the building is home to people who need assistance to evacuate, a smoke alarm must be installed between each room, living area or common spaces, no matter the building's year of construction.
What are the requirements for carbon monoxide detectors?
Nov 26, 2008
866 posts
510 upvotes
GTA
So if I had a spot where there is no AC- would this battery hold up or is the AC used to trickle charge the battery?

I have two spots with AC and one without.
Jul 30, 2010
600 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
It says talking alarm. Does it also beep in between? I'm wondering if talking alarm has same effect as a loud beeping one?
Jan 29, 2020
438 posts
424 upvotes
bostonontario wrote: So if I had a spot where there is no AC- would this battery hold up or is the AC used to trickle charge the battery?

You need a straight battery-powered one, can't use these ones to do what you want.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4669 posts
2021 upvotes
GTA
bostonontario wrote: So if I had a spot where there is no AC- would this battery hold up or is the AC used to trickle charge the battery?

That's weird because I think the code is that if you have hardwired detectors, all your detectors should be hardwired so that if one is tripped, the others will go off as well
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1418 posts
1419 upvotes
GTA
engmsf wrote: What are the requirements for carbon monoxide detectors?
One unit per level that has bedrooms.

For example, I only need 1 CO alarm if I live in a bungalow where bedrooms are located on the main floor. If I had an additional bedroom in the basement I would need 2.
Dec 31, 2020
1 posts
1 upvote
Take this for whatever it's worth but I purchased a bunch of these (9 in total) from Costco online last year while upgrading my electrical. They work fine I guess but when I discovered I needed 3 more quickly it wasn't as simple as ordering online. They vanished from the website and the models sold in store were NOT the same. Eventually I found some at Home Hardware (and Home Depot also seemed to have them) but unbeknown to me smoke/co detector brands are one of those brand things and aren't necessarily interchangeable.

Glad to see them back on the site but FWIW wire your home with something you can know finding replacements won't be an issue. Now I wonder if Costco price matches things they sold a couple months back, hmm...
Dec 13, 2005
301 posts
175 upvotes
Switched from Kidde to first alert and much happier. Kidde had weird failure to receive hardwire power within 10 years and then was given the runaround on the warranty. Also no more false alarms with first alert.
Jan 29, 2020
438 posts
424 upvotes
adavidso wrote: Switched from Kidde to first alert and much happier. Kidde had weird failure to receive hardwire power within 10 years and then was given the runaround on the warranty. Also no more false alarms with first alert.
Yep. I pity the fool who buys these.
Sep 24, 2007
67 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I have 4 hardwired Kidde with 9v battery throughout my home which were pre-existing when the house was purchased 2 years ago. Last night my wife and I were having a raclette when the detectors went off with a high shrieking beeping with a voice warning of a fire mixed in. All the detectors in the home including the one in the basement were going off.
This was the first time the detectors have gone off so it was a bit startling.
Last edited by Barru on Jan 1st, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1815 posts
1003 upvotes
Durham
Thanks OP need to replace mine this year. Was about to buy the Lowes one then realized they are not hardwired and interconnected.