Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Kinda Hot? Globe LED A19 Wi-Fi Smart Bulb multicolor, 3-pack. $14.97* YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2020 10:05 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 14, 2010
46 posts
78 upvotes
Ottawa

[Costco] Kinda Hot? Globe LED A19 Wi-Fi Smart Bulb multicolor, 3-pack. $14.97* YMMV

Here I go for my second post.

I spotted this at Costco on Merivale in Nepean. I'm sure it'll be the same elsewhere but definitely a ymmv. They're typically around $30 in store but they sell for $32.99 online. They're RGB and tunable white.

Item: 1408054 
Model: 37784

It has a rating of 2.9 * on Costco's website but that's because people are having a hard time setting them up. It took me all of 2 minutes to get it going. I've set up about a dozen for friends and family so that may be why it was so quick.

Here's a photo and there seem to be about 50+.
Images
  • upload.jpg
I like stuff
77 replies
Mar 7, 2011
103 posts
101 upvotes
Does anyone know if I could put these lightbulbs into my ceiling fan so that it becomes voice activated? Or do the bulbs have to go into an "already smart" device to work?
Dec 9, 2001
308 posts
64 upvotes
Oakville (Greater To…
fatpandasneezes wrote: Does anyone know if I could put these lightbulbs into my ceiling fan so that it becomes voice activated? Or do the bulbs have to go into an "already smart" device to work?
These are smart light bulbs, and do not require any other device to become "smart". You will need your phone or Alexa/google-speaker to voice control them.
Last edited by Quant on Aug 6th, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2010
46 posts
78 upvotes
Ottawa
These are compatible on your Wi-Fi and their own Globe Suite app on Android or Apple. They will also work well with Google home, Alexa and Apple homekit.
I like stuff
Jul 17, 2007
417 posts
598 upvotes
Montreal
These were 29 at laird Mississauga tonight... 14 is a great price
THE HARDEST THING ABOUT SALES,IS KNOWING WHERE NOT TO WASTE TIME
Sep 3, 2007
631 posts
58 upvotes
Aurora
Buddy of mine bought these the last time they were on sale and mentioned that he was not happy because:
  • They were not as bright, specially in color mode
  • They burn quite hot, compare to other LEDs in his house.
Aug 18, 2019
22 posts
34 upvotes
Buyer beware. These lights are rubbish, returned mine next day. They constantly drop connection and as soon as you change the color of the bulb is about half the brightness of the normal white color. The app is also glitchy and laggy.
Aug 18, 2019
22 posts
34 upvotes
joejack wrote: Buddy of mine bought these the last time they were on sale and mentioned that he was not happy because:
  • They were not as bright, specially in color mode
  • They burn quite hot, compare to other LEDs in his house.
Your buddy is correct, they are terrible lights tbh.
May 7, 2017
32 posts
12 upvotes
fatpandasneezes wrote: Does anyone know if I could put these lightbulbs into my ceiling fan so that it becomes voice activated? Or do the bulbs have to go into an "already smart" device to work?
You can put the lightbulb into any fixture and make it smart, as the bulb itself has that part built-in. You'll need to keep the lightswitch on for the bulb to work, even when it's off so that it can draw power to stay connected to the wifi. Putting the lightbulb in the ceiling fan won't let you control the fan, though.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2009
3478 posts
1519 upvotes
'Shwallywood
It's a standard bulb socket, doesn't need to be plugged into a smart device.
I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3052 posts
1005 upvotes
Ottawa
So what's a good bulb?

I just spent stupid money ordering a tplink from the USA. Seems they're no longer available here for Tunable color changing wifi bulbs.. And I wanted to add one to bedroom.
Jan 17, 2007
21 posts
13 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
While in colour mode, these may not be the brightest, I have been using them for a year now in my outdoor soffits, and the colour brightness is quite fine in that application, for my taste. Like the OP mentioned, setup is a breeze once you get the hang of it. I read some articles and watched a couple of videos, and now use a table lamp in the garage to set up all my bulbs, and then install them where they will go. I also made sure I have reasonable 2.4ghz wifi strength where ever one of these bulbs is installed, and ensure that 5ghz is turned down or off when setting them up. I have been more than happy for the price, for my applications.

I also use Smart Life app instead of the Globe one, as these bulbs are compatible with it, and the rest of my wifi wall plugs use that app as well. I use Smart Life for my routines and scheduling, and Google Home for moment to moment requests, and for bed and morning routines.
Last edited by santoku on Aug 6th, 2020 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4675 posts
1525 upvotes
Kingston
I couldn't use smart bulbs in my ceiling fan because the bulbs were too big. I bought these instead. Connected one to the light wiring inside the fan so now I can control it through the app or voice with Google assistant. If I wanted to I could also put one in to control the fan part of it too but I thought that was unnecessary because we just keep it on all the time

You can also put them in regular light switches to control a light fixture. Smart Bulbs have to have the light switch on all the time to work. These things the light switch can be on or off and you can still control the light.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07TRSWY23