Hot Deals

[Costco] King's Pastry Full Moon Mooncakes $12.88 (double yoke and assorted)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 9:42 pm
Dec 17, 2010
376 posts
144 upvotes
What's the difference between these one made in china and the one made locally? Don't they use ingredients that are made in china as well - except for maybe the egg?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2015
1890 posts
1247 upvotes
Toronto, ON
stephroll wrote: 780 calories per cake .... I like that
Kill the deal immediately for me...
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
11990 posts
15188 upvotes
supremePug wrote: Why don't people just buy it from the local asian bakery and support local businesses instead?
Because they are more expensive. You can see the picture of prices on the last page and you see something similar (the double yolk) selling for $28.88 a box or $7.25 each vs $12.88 at Costco.

This is RFD after all, where people hunt for deals.
Have a nice day!

Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6723 posts
3133 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
supremePug wrote: Why don't people just buy it from the local asian bakery and support local businesses instead?
LonesomeDove wrote: Because they are more expensive. You can see the picture of prices on the last page and you see something similar (the double yolk) selling for $28.88 a box or $7.25 each vs $12.88 at Costco.

This is RFD after all, where people hunt for deals.
Because when we prioritize, local or not is at the very bottom. Otherwise, everyone will only buy at farmer's market and not trying to use the No Frills 5000 points for each $20 coupon as many times as possible.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
11990 posts
15188 upvotes
MangoFruit wrote: What's the difference between these one made in china and the one made locally? Don't they use ingredients that are made in china as well - except for maybe the egg?
The main ingredients come from China, especially the egg because it is not regular egg, they are salted duck eggs and they are not produced in Canada. Those yolks come from Asia; from China, maybe Vietnam.
The lotus paste come from China or another Asian country. The only local ingredient is probably flour and oil.
Have a nice day!

Dec 17, 2010
376 posts
144 upvotes
LonesomeDove wrote: The main ingredients come from China, especially the egg because it is not regular egg, they are salted duck eggs and they are not produced in Canada. Those yolks come from Asia; from China, maybe Vietnam.
The lotus paste come from China or another Asian country. The only local ingredient is probably flour and oil.
Is there a difference in taste for the flours and oils that we use locally compared to the one made form China? Sorry, i'm a noob at eating mooncake.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
11990 posts
15188 upvotes
MangoFruit wrote: Is there a difference in taste for the flours and oils that we use locally compared to the one made form China? Sorry, i'm a noob at eating mooncake.
I don't know. Probably not.
Have a nice day!

Aug 27, 2006
345 posts
717 upvotes
GTA

Why are you on Redflagdeals?
I don't remember seeing any deal posted for my local bakery here.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3537 posts
770 upvotes
I prefer the snow skin Mooncakes even though they're not traditional.
Images
  • IMG_20200914_191758.jpg
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9081 posts
10292 upvotes
superscoots wrote: Any at Costco in Burlington?
The Product SKU is 1166718. You can probably call your closest Costco and inquire which locations near you have inventory.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1411 posts
291 upvotes
Ottawa
This is a seasonal product, and I wonder how do Costco dispose unsold leftover Moon Cakes?

Do they ship them them to importer?
or
Donate them to food banks?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1986 posts
1674 upvotes
cf7777 wrote: This is a seasonal product, and I wonder how do Costco dispose unsold leftover Moon Cakes?

or
If you ever worked for retail grocery chain you would know a lot of food is wasted...
Jul 29, 2019
236 posts
179 upvotes
cf7777 wrote: This is a seasonal product, and I wonder how do Costco dispose unsold leftover Moon Cakes?

or
The best before date on seems to be around November 30th of this year. I suggest they will likely discount it and any leftover will stay somewhere on the floor for final sales before they are gone. Any leftover is likely garbage. Due to regulations despite the best before date not be the same as an expiry date, if someone gets sick from eating Costco donated mooncakes that is passed it's best before date, you know someone will sue them.