Kirkland Full Synthetic 5W-30/0W-20 Motor Oil (2 Pack) $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2021 11:57 am
Jun 27, 2006
539 posts
183 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Ethanz wrote: Is 0W20 same as 5W20?
Nope, 5W20 is almost universally used by fords. 0W20 is very common on honda, Toyota and others. Stick with what is says on the oil filler cap
Nov 12, 2017
408 posts
587 upvotes
Saint John, NB
Dhanushan wrote: 4.73L is close to 5 US quarts

These jugs are from a USA manufacturer Warren Distribution

Kirkland Signature 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5-quart, 2-pack
https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signatu ... 27865.html

Features:
  • 2-5 Quart (4.73L) Bottles
  • Advanced Wear Protection
  • For Extended Engine Life
  • Controls Thermal Breakdown

Kirkland Signature 5W30 Full Synthetic Oil for Automobile, 2-pack
https://www.costco.ca/kirkland-signatur ... 72103.html

Features:
  • 2 x 4.73 L
  • Fights power-robbing particles better than conventional oil
  • Superior protection against corrosion versus conventional and synthetic blend oils
  • Better performance and protection in high and low temperatures than conventional oils
  • For use in gasoline, ex-fuel or gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles requiring SAE 0W20
  • Meets or exceeds SAE 5W30 API SN PLUS, SN, SL and ILSAC GF-5, GF-4 or previous standards
  • Approved for use in all GM gasoline engines requiring dexos1™ GEN 2 5W30
Politics aside: is it a typo that the 5w30 says "For use in gasoline, ex-fuel or gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles requiring SAE 0W20" or is this correct?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5914 posts
3612 upvotes
Toronto
CanAm wrote: Nope, 5W20 is almost universally used by fords. 0W20 is very common on honda, Toyota and others. Stick with what is says on the oil filler cap
Everything else being equal (meeting manufactures specs) there's no problem using 0w20 if 5w20 is spec'd.

There are plenty of Honda's, Toyota's, Hyundai's, etc that call for 5w20 on the cap not just Ford's.

The industry as a whole basically went 5w30 -> 5w20 -> 0w20 to meet CAFE requirements.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2071 posts
2120 upvotes
check your owners manual or the oil cap
Jun 27, 2006
539 posts
183 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
BeaverLiquor wrote: Everything else being equal (meeting manufactures specs) there's no problem using 0w20 if 5w20 is spec'd.

There are plenty of Honda's, Toyota's, Hyundai's, etc that call for 5w20 on the cap not just Ford's.

The industry as a whole basically went 5w30 -> 5w20 -> 0w20 to meet CAFE requirements.
Yes, that's where the almost comes in. But these oil discussions always get a little hot. So I say put in what is on the cap and be happy.
Nov 9, 2020
149 posts
323 upvotes
Maple
scotsum wrote: '12 Si.
Si has a bigger engine than a regular Civic.
That should explain the difference.
Do you need it or do you want it?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5914 posts
3612 upvotes
Toronto
CanAm wrote: Yes, that's where the almost comes in. But these oil discussions always get a little hot. So I say put in what is on the cap and be happy.
You can't say that either, just because the numbers match on the cap and bottle, doesn't mean the oil has been tested to meet manufactures standards.
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12508 posts
1199 upvotes
Toronto
jay395 wrote: Si has a bigger engine than a regular Civic.
That should explain the difference.
Not necessarily. The K-series motor in the Civic Si is a high-performance variant, compared to the standard Civic. Different oiling and pressure requirements, not just displacement alone.
Deal with it.
Mar 4, 2013
596 posts
420 upvotes
Newer Hondas and Toyotas use 0w16. I know what you're thinking, but don't put 0w20 because these engines use computer controlled oil pumps which tightly control the oil pressure for efficiency. If you put in a wrong weight oil, it won't be good long term.
Jun 27, 2006
539 posts
183 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
BeaverLiquor wrote: You can't say that either, just because the numbers match on the cap and bottle, doesn't mean the oil has been tested to meet manufactures standards.
most oils in the grade specified will meet the standards. The main exception is Euro oils like 229.52, etc

But this is not an BITOG thread, so I will leave it at that
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1304 posts
1121 upvotes
Airdrie
I'm no vehicle engineer or whoever it is that designs engines and decides what oils to use.

Im just a common man who spends a lot of time on the internet, but from what I've learned on Bob is the oil guy if your vehicle calls for 5w20 then 0w20 will be more than sufficient. 0w20 is considered higher quality than 5w20 as it takes higher quality base stocks to reach that 0w start viscosity than the 5w.

There are plenty of threads on the two being interchangeable, but the 0w20 being superior especially in cold climates:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threa ... st-2576123
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5914 posts
3612 upvotes
Toronto
CanAm wrote: most oils in the grade specified will meet the standards. The main exception is Euro oils like 229.52, etc

But this is not an BITOG thread, so I will leave it at that
It wasn’t tested to meet Ford’s WSS-M2C947-B1 for 0w20 as one other example.
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2009
2022 posts
387 upvotes
Toronto
How does the quality of Kirkland branded compare to the big boys ie castrol, mobil1?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
2871 posts
1875 upvotes
Funny that everyone complains about price but I remember when $20/jug for synthetic was cheap. And it wasn't that long ago lol
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1024 posts
1046 upvotes
Surrey
Bit of an increase in price. Ah well...I debated stocking up the last sale. Still cheap at reg price. I use 8 to 8.5L in my truck.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
30505 posts
11355 upvotes
scotsum wrote: Good deal for sure but I hate this 4.79L format. My Civic takes 5L (exactly) per change & this will make me buy an extra quart. I thought all newer oil are now in 5L jugs.
Your engine is not going to explode if it's down ~200mL of oil. That's about 1/5th the distance from "full" and "add" on the dipstick and for 98% of cars out there this is of no concern whatsoever. (Of course if a car burns/consumes oil, I can see you might want to have it at full so as to reduce the frequency of having to add oil as it consumes it.)

But really, worry about something trivial like this when you're driving a Ferrari, not a Civic.
Jun 5, 2007
301 posts
259 upvotes
Shangri-La
scotsum wrote: '12 Si. Takes 5L every single time (at least to get close to max mark on dipstick). I usually get mine at Crappy Tire's sale of 5L Pennzoil Plat. Works out to ~$20 or so with rebate. Wouldn't trying out this Kirkland stuff if it was in the 5L format.
The specification I have found a 2012 Civic SI is a sump capacity of 4.4 liters.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3640 posts
2384 upvotes
Calgary
ES_Revenge wrote: But really, worry about something trivial like this when you're driving a Ferrari, not a Civic.
Wot? Are you saying my Civic isn't like a Ferrari?? But but but its an Si. It revs like a Ferrari & is faster than regular Civics & Corollas & Sentras...Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

Seriously though, 5L fills up the the engine & I don't gotta worry about it. If I put in a 1/4 L less, I think it would gnaw at me & then I'd have to check the oil often & be OCD for nothing. 5L works for me & it is the modern standard, at least in Canada.

5L of oil & not only do I not worry, I fuhgitabout it. 4.73L & I'll likely get OCD & will need therapy which will then be a drag on our health care. For the sake of our already overworked overtaxed health care system, I can't be selfish & so, I better stick to the 5L jug.

Kiddin' ofcos but you get where I going.