Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Kirkland Outdoor Merino Wool Socks $9.97

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 3:27 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2009
1213 posts
774 upvotes
gwn wrote: My socks blow out in the heel first too. It's a shame to toss good socks because of one bad spot.

So I started to darn the holes the old fashioned way using needle and thread. It extends the life maybe 3-5 months but will wear out. Then I cut up one sock into many pieces and used them to patch the heel. They hold up very well and the extra padding is not noticeable.

Not hard to do and doubles the life even for a guy like me. Something you can do while watching the game.

IMG_20210819_080216.jpg
Your commitment to reducing waste and saving money is commendable! I've been working from home since last March and have not bought a single item of clothing since. Most of my casual clothing is threadbare, but I have no intention of replacing them any time soon.

I just have to be sure not to gain weight while at home, so that I can fit into my work clothes once I do have to return to the office.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2789 posts
531 upvotes
North Vancouver
anthony9 wrote: The GM/Chrysler of socks.

Assuming you don't lose socks, get a Lexus-like Darn Tough. Not cheap, but little time in the shop.
Where to buy this Darn Tough?
Dec 15, 2017
884 posts
1034 upvotes

Assuming you don't lose socks, get a Lexus-like Darn Tough. Not cheap, but little time in the shop.
whenever a company markets a product like this, I find it hard to believe and usually the experience is underwhelming.

How do you make a sock that doesn't wear out?

And for $30 for one pair of those socks plus $20 to ship them back for a warranty claim, that buys 25 pairs of these costco socks. Will the darn tough socks be just as comfortable, not have holes, not wear down the material by the time you switch to your 25th new pair of socks?

Similarly I've been burned by ex-officio, saxx, icebreaker, all overpriced marketing.
Sep 11, 2006
946 posts
388 upvotes
ChillbroSwaggins wrote: I have several pairs of these and honestly they have not lived up to their namesake. Almost all of them have developed holes within 1-2 years.

Ya sure they'll replace them but you still have to ship them out to Vancouver which costs money. Not worth it IMO considering they're like $20 a pair.
miningminer wrote: whenever a company markets a product like this, I find it hard to believe and usually the experience is underwhelming.

How do you make a sock that doesn't wear out?

And for $30 for one pair of those socks plus $20 to ship them back for a warranty claim, that buys 25 pairs of these costco socks. Will the darn tough socks be just as comfortable, not have holes, not wear down the material by the time you switch to your 25th new pair of socks?

Similarly I've been burned by ex-officio, saxx, icebreaker, all overpriced marketing.
You guys are not doing it the Redflagdeals way for returning your defective Darn Tough, IceBreakers, etc lol For the past few years, Canada Post offered free shipping within Canada every Tuesday in October (this is last year thread: free-shipping-tuesday-small-business-oc ... 0-2405071/). And this is when you should apply for RMA and send items back for free lol Good luck!
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2011
11227 posts
21552 upvotes
virtuman1980 wrote: You guys are not doing it the Redflagdeals way for returning your defective Darn Tough, IceBreakers, etc lol For the past few years, Canada Post offered free shipping within Canada every Tuesday in October (this is last year thread: free-shipping-tuesday-small-business-oc ... 0-2405071/). And this is when you should apply for RMA and send items back for free lol Good luck!
Priceless... Literally! ;)
Dec 8, 2009
97 posts
102 upvotes
Montreal
Something happened in recent years. I think I bought new ones the past 2 years and they didn't hold up. They weren't as comfy; they felt... fake? Plasticky? I don't have better words to describe them.

They wear real quick and the fit is different. The feet are big but the ankle/calf area is super tight.

I used to swear by these back in the day. I didn't even need winter boots in the Montreal winters. I would wear these with whatever shoes I had back then and I'd be golden.
Dec 15, 2017
884 posts
1034 upvotes
I noticed they cut corners on their yellow microfiber towels too. They used to be very high quality on the fluffy side, now for the same price they've changed the microfiber material to something really cheap.
Nov 20, 2018
48 posts
14 upvotes
Not bad for around the house but like a few others have said, when hiking they don't breathe well and my feet get sweaty. Darn tough are a luxury. Firstlite makes the best pair I've ever worn.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2012
1249 posts
995 upvotes
Toronto
gwn wrote: Spotted at Brampton location, a 5 pack for $9.97. Wool percentage down to 72% but still comfy. Better than $14.97 earlier this year.

Bonus - Mens Buffalo jeans sign shows $14.97 but rang in at $9.97.
Great socks, pretty much the only socks I wear all year round. Best socks I've ever used for construction work, they keep your feet dry and cool in the summer and dry and warm in the winter. Never felt the need to double up socks using these during the winter. The only downside is that they are rather thick, but buying and half size bigger on your footwear solves that. At this price, we'll worth to get a few more. Also, they hold up really well over the years. I don't think I've worn out a pair yet. They hold their fit really great, unlike some generic wool socks from mark's or other places.

Edit: someone downvoted for "poor merchant reputation"? Unhappy with costco customer service, guess there's a first for everything.
[OP]
May 6, 2006
357 posts
424 upvotes
Brampton
Way back in my army days, we wore wool socks even in the hot summer. They kept my feet dry and was not ichy for me. Merino wool socks are even softer and most find them ich-less.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9294 posts
1647 upvotes
TO
Thundercloud wrote: You don't wear them in the summer? The wool keeps my feet nice and dry.
I was going to ask how these are in summer or during warm weather and for runs or walking?
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Nov 9, 2014
773 posts
778 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

I bought one the expensive sets of wool socks once. Went hiking through brambles and burrs while hunting and completely destroyed them. They aren't worth it if you use them hard. The Costco socks are just about as good and you don't feel like you're throwing away $25-$30 when you step into the bush.
Oct 17, 2003
515 posts
149 upvotes
Fredericton
ecgz88 wrote: Where to buy this Darn Tough?
Local outdoorsy store? Amazon has some as well. Just have deep pockets because brands like Smartwool & Darn Tough are $20-25+ per pair.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
5330 posts
2166 upvotes
Kitchener
TorontoEh wrote: I was going to ask how these are in summer or during warm weather and for runs or walking?
I don't know about runs, but they're nice for walking/hiking as they wick moisture very very well so my feet stay dry. They also breath well so as long as your shoes do too, they don't feel hot.
This space is intentionally left blank.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)