• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2021 4:34 pm
[OP]
Jul 17, 2008
66 posts
145 upvotes
GTA

[Costco] Kirkland Protein Bars 20ct - $23 online - $19.5 instore - $5 off

If you've had them you know how good they are, worth it even at full price but now $5 off online. I've been itching to order more hoping a sale was going to pop up.

Not sure what the warehouse price may be right now, usually they sell for $25 in warehouse last I saw. EDIT: Another poster has pointed out that they are $19.49 in store which would reflect $5 off the reg price I've seen before of $24.49

Last edited by sevsev on Feb 1st, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
53 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
3199 posts
296 upvotes
So there are the updated ones without the inulin? Haven't seen them locally. Wondering if people still have issues with them...
Nov 4, 2008
493 posts
947 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone have experience with these and Quest bars? I've only ever had Quest, but I'd be interested in checking these Kirkland ones out too.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11666 posts
3058 upvotes
Nice, even sugars are not bad at all, anyone comment on the texture and taste?
Has anyone found these in the warehouse? $3 surcharge on Costco grocery, nearly kills the $5 savings.
Don't think I need $75 worth of groceries from Costco at the moment
Last edited by jackass_ca on Feb 1st, 2021 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Jun 2, 2011
21 posts
16 upvotes
movieking wrote: So there are the updated ones without the inulin? Haven't seen them locally. Wondering if people still have issues with them...

Yes these are the updated ones without Inulin. I used to get absolutely devastated by the old Inulin recipe. No problem with these ones.
Jul 19, 2015
551 posts
538 upvotes
London, ON
The new recipe while didn't have the horrible effects previously discussed, is also missing half the fibre of previous bars and not close to most quest bars, if looking for higher fibre levels, these are no longer it, too bad.
Nov 13, 2019
190 posts
309 upvotes
easy-e wrote: Anyone have experience with these and Quest bars? I've only ever had Quest, but I'd be interested in checking these Kirkland ones out too.
These were made to be Quest knock offs. Quest pretty much started this trend in high-fibre, satiating, 'healthy' protein bars by using the ingredient Isomaltooligosaccharide (IMO). Competitors started copying Quest. Costco introduced their own Kirkland brand to copy Quest but at a significantly reduced price. They tasted similar, not quite as good as Quest, but close enough and much better value. Then they mysteriously left the shelves for a long time, close to a year if I remember correctly. There was talk about it being packaging errors, but who knows. When they reintroduced the Kirkland bars, they swapped the IMO for inulin instead. No bueno. Caused a lot of digestion/stomach issues for people, myself included. I stopped eating them. Soon enough they left the shelves again. While they were gone, Costco then started stocking Quest itself. Now it looks like they've reintroduced the Kirkland brand for a third time, without the inulin. I haven't tried these yet though so I can't comment on them. But from day 1 Quest has always been the best, they've just been more expensive... so it depends if you can justify the price or not.
Dec 10, 2007
621 posts
445 upvotes
Arviat
Perfect I think this is the first time they have discounted these bars ever.
Remember when you liked what you currently have
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11666 posts
3058 upvotes
bigtuna99 wrote: These were made to be Quest knock offs. Quest pretty much started this trend in high-fibre, satiating, 'healthy' protein bars by using the ingredient Isomaltooligosaccharide (IMO). Competitors started copying Quest. Costco introduced their own Kirkland brand to copy Quest but at a significantly reduced price. They tasted similar, not quite as good as Quest, but close enough and much better value. Then they mysteriously left the shelves for a long time, close to a year if I remember correctly. There was talk about it being packaging errors, but who knows. When they reintroduced the Kirkland bars, they swapped the IMO for inulin instead. No bueno. Caused a lot of digestion/stomach issues for people, myself included. I stopped eating them. Soon enough they left the shelves again. While they were gone, Costco then started stocking Quest itself. Now it looks like they've reintroduced the Kirkland brand for a third time, without the inulin. I haven't tried these yet though so I can't comment on them. But from day 1 Quest has always been the best, they've just been more expensive... so it depends if you can justify the price or not.
I thought so, I had some of the older Kirkland bars and they were pretty good at half the price of Quest.
I had wondered where they went, hoping to find these new ones in store tonight.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2003
1065 posts
415 upvotes
These are no longer Quest equivalents ingredient wise. Just another protein bar
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3440 posts
802 upvotes
Toronto
i find the new ones taste better than the older ones - and of course without the horrible side effects !!

still better value than quest even if it has a little less fiber
Apr 21, 2013
46 posts
15 upvotes
These ones passed the... test. Old ones did not, at all.
Sep 25, 2018
655 posts
1199 upvotes
I don't like the taste at all. They are very hard and dry,. The brownie flavor tastes okay but a bit bland. The cookie dough tastes a bit sour. I've never had raw cookie dough but the bar itself doesn't taste like cooked cookie to me at all. The pure protein branded bars taste much better.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1197 posts
336 upvotes
These are good, wish I could get a chocolate only box, the cookies and creme one taste too much like candy to me and feel less filling as a result. No issues so far, maybe if you eat two a day for a couple of days
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
1334 posts
281 upvotes
Oakville
Fibre content down = Net carbs up. Angry Face
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2003
1065 posts
415 upvotes
T-DOT wrote: Fibre content down = Net carbs up. Angry Face
Honestly I would rather be farting all day with less net carbs and more fibre
May 1, 2020
6 posts
10 upvotes
these things are the worst. returned after trying one.