Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] KN95 Disposable 5-layer Face Mask, 20-pack - $64.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2020 11:54 pm
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41458 posts
6506 upvotes
Any recommended masks to avoid glasses being fogged up and to allow proper breathing? Especially for people over 60 years of age? Thanks.
Proud to be an Indian.
Dec 10, 2004
6088 posts
1956 upvotes
Thornhill
Takada wrote: What a useless comment. Practically all surgical masks and KN95 masks are made in China. Good luck finding N95 masks now. As a HCP, it's hard as heck to find any unless you work in a hospital. We were rationed a few N95 masks as well several months ago. Guess where they were made? China. From my experience - N95>KN95>>Surgical Masks>Cloth masks. Costco typically doesn't sell garbage either and these look exactly like the ones we use.
Read your comment and then read mine. You make no sense and arguing with something I never wrote. So next time, you want to argue and tell someone has a useless comment, do take 1 more second to READ.
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6088 posts
1956 upvotes
Thornhill
djemzine wrote: Any recommended masks to avoid glasses being fogged up and to allow proper breathing? Especially for people over 60 years of age? Thanks.
Get masks with a metal clip at the nose( all N-type masks have those) then press hard against and you should be good. Your glasses fog up because there's no seal at the top(eg surgical/cloth type masks).
Mar 16, 2008
195 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
pallfy wrote: I got the filters from Motion industries around March 18, and the half mask from Grainger. Amazon was sold out of both by that time, and later they had the full mask back in stock.

These work and safety equipment suppliers must of seen increased business pretty quickly, cuz by early april they were oos of almost everything. At the time I thought it strange that N95 masks were sold out much earlier than gas masks, cuz those are not reusable, like the 6 pairs of filters for $75 is more than enough to last me years.
Apparently many N95 worldwide were shipped to China in January & February leaving supplies here empty. Once WHO finally officially declare pandemic in mid-March prices of N95 started rocketing upward - if you can find them! Then China/Chinese companies was selling N95 back at inflated prices - by late March - early April I watched 3M N95/KN95 prices increase from 5X to about 8X regular prices on AliExpress. It was all supply and demand. Folks were demanding N95 because that's what they were hearing in media - hospitals need disposable N95!

Meanwhile the re-useable full/half face masks and R95, R99, R100, P95, P99, P100 cartridges all remain relatively stable in prices without drastic increases - making them the much better deal! Even on AliExpress, I was finding them in kits at about half the prices they would be in-store here.

Problem with AliExpress is shipping due to Covid - out of 6 shipment only 3 arrived within a month or so, 2 have taken more than 3 months and still waiting - likely more than 4 months to deliver and with prices of N95/KN95 falling now, some of the KN95 I ordered couple months ago from AliExpress are half the price and available locally now!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6088 posts
1956 upvotes
Thornhill
Asad_A203 wrote: I got one of these for woodworking and they definitely don't fit as well as an N95 mask (not a tight seal around the nose and loops around the ear vs the back of the head). I am sure it is fine for filtering saw dust but I noticed that chemical fumes are more noticeable than with an N95 mask (although, I don't think my N95 masks are intended to completely filter that out either).
And that's the reason these mask have a FAKE Chinese rating and KN95 is a BS rating. They falsely rate them whatever they want at the factory and off they go to clueless suppliers. These are definitely not good masks. If there's no seal, they are no better than surgical/cloth masks. Mask are such money making tool, every factory is switching up and printing them for clueless consumers who pay $100s of for literally $2 worth of masks.

here's one of many sources to read up on masks:
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/usernot ... tResp.html
Mar 16, 2008
195 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: Any recommended masks to avoid glasses being fogged up and to allow proper breathing? Especially for people over 60 years of age? Thanks.
use some band-aid type tape to seal along top of face mask especially near your nose to prevent air from escaping and fogging up your glasses
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2006
2091 posts
220 upvotes
OTTAWA, Canada
Amazon also sells a pack of the self adhesive metal clips for a few bucks for the nose if needed.
Nov 26, 2013
212 posts
76 upvotes
Surrey, BC
You and me both :( I need really good masks sometime in August for a family member undergoing surgery and possibly cancer treatment. Chasing inferior masks at high prices was not on my to-do list.
Decided to pass on these KN95s.
xvp0409 wrote: FYI - these masks by Zhengzhou Wanshenshan Healthcare PPE Co are not on the authorized list of vendors that meet the criteria for emergency use.

So these do not offer 95% filtration. As Costco said, non-medical use.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/cor ... #appendixa

Guess my hunt for a reliable KN95 / N95 continues...
Sep 27, 2009
388 posts
55 upvotes
I've been getting my stuff from a local place www.staysafesupply.ca to try and help support the small guy. Hopefully the pricing comes down a little between now and when I run out lol
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41458 posts
6506 upvotes
dazz wrote: Get masks with a metal clip at the nose( all N-type masks have those) then press hard against and you should be good. Your glasses fog up because there's no seal at the top(eg surgical/cloth type masks).
So get the N type with the metal clip and the glasses won't fog up? Just find it a bit annoying when breathing and the glasses fog up haha. Then I can't see anything for a bit.
Proud to be an Indian.
Sep 19, 2002
3397 posts
2074 upvotes
Vancouver
3M Aura series of respirators. Preferably with exhalation valve.

The Aura has an embossed top panel which reduces air from going out the top panel.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1598 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
Funny seeing everybody all worked up over some certification.
Certified or not (or even fake) they will still protect you and others around you to varying degree.
Certified mask doesn't mean you won't get infected, nothing is 100%.
The certification weren't even tested to protect you against Covid19 virus specifically anyways, so the 95% doesn't technically apply. (I'm not saying n95 is useless against Covid19, it is probably the best that we have against it, but focusing too hard on the "95" is a waste of time)
Similar to how there are no scientific number against how effect are cloth masks and DIY masks.
The point is, they ALL help.
Heck, unless the fake n95 has a big hole in it, it'll probably still work better than a medical mask.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
1394 posts
501 upvotes
If anyone in the GTA wants to try out these KN95 masks without spending $65 at Costco, these can be bought at most Chinese malls in the GTA. I saw some today for $5 (2 pack) at Denison/Kennedy. I bet you can get these at a similar price elsewhere.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41458 posts
6506 upvotes
Spinner wrote: 3M Aura series of respirators. Preferably with exhalation valve.

The Aura has an embossed top panel which reduces air from going out the top panel.
Hmmm one person said not to get ones with a breather valve or exhalation valve. As that could increase chances of spreading...

I am confused now.

This person said so below:
chatbox wrote: Valves are bad for spread-prevention.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mask-tips-vancouv ... -1.4953729
@chatbox The above person said to get an exhalation valve based mask to avoid fogging.
Proud to be an Indian.
Sep 19, 2002
3397 posts
2074 upvotes
Vancouver
djemzine wrote: Hmmm one person said not to get ones with a breather valve or exhalation valve. As that could increase chances of spreading...

I am confused now.

This person said so below:

@chatbox The above person said to get an exhalation valve based mask to avoid fogging.
N95 respirators already collect moist droplets from breathing and talking. Most respirators with exhalation valves point downward which reduces the spread (if you're infected).

If you want to reduce the likelihood of fogging, get the 9210+ because it has an embossed top panel. The 9211+ has an embossed top panel and exhalation valve which further reduces fogging.