[Costco] KN95 Disposable 5-layer Face Mask, 20-pack - $64.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2020 11:54 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3397 posts
2074 upvotes
Vancouver
jasonchewy wrote: Funny seeing everybody all worked up over some certification.
Certified or not (or even fake) they will still protect you and others around you to varying degree.
Certified mask doesn't mean you won't get infected, nothing is 100%.
The certification weren't even tested to protect you against Covid19 virus specifically anyways, so the 95% doesn't technically apply. (I'm not saying n95 is useless against Covid19, it is probably the best that we have against it, but focusing too hard on the "95" is a waste of time)
Similar to how there are no scientific number against how effect are cloth masks and DIY masks.
The point is, they ALL help.
Heck, unless the fake n95 has a big hole in it, it'll probably still work better than a medical mask.
Agreed.

The NPPTL lab results show 1 out of 30 respirators with an 89% filtration efficiency. The remaining 29 respirators performed between 96-99%. That a heck of a lot better than any surgical mask.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41458 posts
6506 upvotes
Spinner wrote: N95 respirators already collect moist droplets from breathing and talking. Most respirators with exhalation valves point downward which reduces the spread (if you're infected).

If you want to reduce the likelihood of fogging, get the 9210+ because it has an embossed top panel. The 9211+ has an embossed top panel and exhalation valve which further reduces fogging.
Thanks! I was looking into getting these:

https://plusguardiancanada.ca/
Proud to be an Indian.
1598 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
Spinner wrote: Agreed.

The NPPTL lab results show 1 out of 30 respirators with an 89% filtration efficiency. The remaining 29 respirators performed between 96-99%. That a heck of a lot better than any surgical mask.
Exactly, just use common sense.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13209 posts
6976 upvotes
Southern Ontario
These are labeled non-medical use meaning they will likely fail a personal fit test due to gaps, and filter penetration isn't guaranteed. However they'll be better than a face covering or a cheap procedure mask, just don't count on it for high personal protection like a fit tested 3M N95 or F2100-11 Level 3 mask that wraps tightly around your face.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3397 posts
2074 upvotes
Vancouver
djemzine wrote: Thanks! I was looking into getting these:

https://plusguardiancanada.ca/
Those masks have a filter efficiency of 5-10%, assuming a perfect fit.

The KN95 respirators in this thread are 89-99%. It's a completely different product.
Oct 31, 2009
382 posts
137 upvotes
Vancouver
Spinner wrote: Those masks have a filter efficiency of 5-10%, assuming a perfect fit.

The KN95 respirators in this thread are 89-99%. It's a completely different product.
KN95 have, as the name suggest, a 95% filter efficiency, and only if properly mask fitted. We are using these and they have extremely poor quality control.
Jun 14, 2019
141 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: Hmmm one person said not to get ones with a breather valve or exhalation valve. As that could increase chances of spreading...

I am confused now.

This person said so below:

@chatbox The above person said to get an exhalation valve based mask to avoid fogging.
I never had fogging issues with any of the 3M n95s im fitted for including the Aura. The only fogging issues I have are with the normal blue face masks made from China due to the wire being not as wide.

The vent is for easier breathing if you need it for the elderly to be more comfortable.
Nov 14, 2008
263 posts
81 upvotes
Damn those prices are 4x what they were for those filters in March.

I would reccomend the cartridge filters over the round ones, cuz the the filter are exposed and will clog up faster.
Nov 4, 2015
976 posts
803 upvotes
Ontario
Spinner wrote: It could, but it also makes going out with your wife or girlfriend much less pleasant.
My wife and girlfriend are fine with interacting with each other instead.
Oct 19, 2009
281 posts
164 upvotes
N95 means 95% of the people who wears one dont wear it right
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3885 posts
3105 upvotes
Sanlitun wrote: I would ask questions when buying these as there is evidence some of the new production PPE coming from China is being made with Uyghur slave labour.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/19/worl ... labor.html
Meh...no big deal or any different than buying Nikes or Hugo Boss or buying stuff from Cambodia or Bangladesh etc

Here's Indian slave labour for Hugo boss amognst other cheaper brands

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... -hugo-boss