[Costco] KN95 Disposable 5-layer Face Mask, 20-pack - $64.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2020 11:54 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1872 upvotes
Ontario
Spinner wrote: 3M Aura series of respirators. Preferably with exhalation valve.

The Aura has an embossed top panel which reduces air from going out the top panel.
If you’re using a mask with an exhalation valve, you need to cover that or you’re only protecting yourself. In an environment where no one gives a shit and you’re the only one wearing PPE, no worries. But if you’re in close quarters or indoors you can actually see the exhalation, and you should double it up with a surgical mask over it (as often seen with nurses and physicians).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1872 upvotes
Ontario
If you’re hard pressed to find a mask that fits well and want to get whatever you can find, try using tape for sensitive skin and tape over the gaps created. Works well to prevent glass fogging as well.

There is also a method of increasing the efficacy of a standard surgical mask using 3 rubber bands to create a more secure seal: https://www.fixthemask.com/make-it

Honestly anything to create a tighter seal is going to increase the effectiveness. We’re not exactly in a situation where we have the luxury of only buying masks that have a perfect fit (nor has most of us even performed a proper fit test to see which models do fit outside of healthcare workers).
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41505 posts
6515 upvotes
Spinner wrote: Those masks have a filter efficiency of 5-10%, assuming a perfect fit.

The KN95 respirators in this thread are 89-99%. It's a completely different product.
So buy the one from Costco that is advertised here?
YPfailsSW2 wrote: I never had fogging issues with any of the 3M n95s im fitted for including the Aura. The only fogging issues I have are with the normal blue face masks made from China due to the wire being not as wide.

The vent is for easier breathing if you need it for the elderly to be more comfortable.
Link for this 3M?

Off topic, thoughts on these guys?

Proud to be an Indian.
Sep 19, 2002
3398 posts
2091 upvotes
Vancouver
onlineharvest wrote: If you’re using a mask with an exhalation valve, you need to cover that or you’re only protecting yourself. In an environment where no one gives a shit and you’re the only one wearing PPE, no worries. But if you’re in close quarters or indoors you can actually see the exhalation, and you should double it up with a surgical mask over it (as often seen with nurses and physicians).
Doctors and nurses wear a surgical mask over their respirator to protect their N95, not because of the valve.

The likelihood of the wearer spreading COVID with a valve is pretty low given the valve is pointed downwards.

May 19, 2009
671 posts
901 upvotes
Vancouver
ilovevideogames wrote: You and me both :( I need really good masks sometime in August for a family member undergoing surgery and possibly cancer treatment. Chasing inferior masks at high prices was not on my to-do list.
I'm glad you're conscious about protecting your family. Where I work (immuno-compromised patients) almost 80-90% of the family caregivers don't wear a mask. Or they wear a mask while they are commuting to the hospital, then once they arrived at their family's room they take off the mask...
Sep 25, 2019
310 posts
353 upvotes
There are good and not good for mask with valve. In trades, we are afraid of valve failure. This is true with things you not see/smell/taste.

When possible, we just use non-valve masks.

If we need valve, we go reuse respirators. They are more reliable for long use.
Dec 26, 2017
400 posts
248 upvotes
MikuGirl wrote: There are good and not good for mask with valve. In trades, we are afraid of valve failure. This is true with things you not see/smell/taste.

When possible, we just use non-valve masks.

If we need valve, we go reuse respirators. They are more reliable for long use.
i never thought of the valve failure

you mean as it might stay open ? which will make the mask very very useless
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6148 posts
1995 upvotes
Thornhill
djemzine wrote: So get the N type with the metal clip and the glasses won't fog up? Just find it a bit annoying when breathing and the glasses fog up haha. Then I can't see anything for a bit.
Yes, it's the air that escapes from the top that causes it and clips along with the proper fit helps with that. I wear glasses once in a while and have no issues when I fit the mask properly. It always fogs up when I use a surgical. But if you are set on surgicals then you can buy reusable clips for those, if needed.
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6148 posts
1995 upvotes
Thornhill
jasonchewy wrote: Funny seeing everybody all worked up over some certification.
Certified or not (or even fake) they will still protect you and others around you to varying degree.
Certified mask doesn't mean you won't get infected, nothing is 100%.
The certification weren't even tested to protect you against Covid19 virus specifically anyways, so the 95% doesn't technically apply. (I'm not saying n95 is useless against Covid19, it is probably the best that we have against it, but focusing too hard on the "95" is a waste of time)
Similar to how there are no scientific number against how effect are cloth masks and DIY masks.
The point is, they ALL help.
Heck, unless the fake n95 has a big hole in it, it'll probably still work better than a medical mask.
You are incorrect on a few points, including studies of effectiveness of various masks, shields,etc and there have been A LOT of studies from dozens of countries Worldwide. They are not all about Covid, but there are a lot of studies about SARS, flu, influenza,etc. With a bit of Googling, you can find studies outlining differences between various PPEs and their effectiveness. You shouldn't wait until you are spoon-fed the studies but do the work yourself.
Certainly N95 does NOT guarantee 100% effectiveness. That's correct. No to mention in hospitals they do fit tests to make sure there's a proper seal. That's with training. Consumers have no training nor do most people test or try to make sure there's a seal. Just a quick look around a grocery store of people wearing KN,Ns clearly shows people just wear them for the sake of wearing as most do not have proper seal, making them no more effective than a surgical mask. People buy them then realize they have to take more breaths, it's hot and not comfortable, so they adjust the mask to have small holes, making them non effective and thus wasting the premiums they paid for the N95 rating. That's the truth.

You are right about the fact even a fake KN95 is better than surgical( again only if it's fitted properly) ,but you are currently paying a 10X premium - that's the reason of this conversation. If you are paying a premium then it would make sense to get exactly what you are paying for.
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1618 posts
682 upvotes
Toronto
dazz wrote: You are incorrect on a few points, including studies of effectiveness of various masks, shields,etc and there have been A LOT of studies from dozens of countries Worldwide. They are not all about Covid, but there are a lot of studies about SARS, flu, influenza,etc. With a bit of Googling, you can find studies outlining differences between various PPEs and their effectiveness. You shouldn't wait until you are spoon-fed the studies but do the work yourself.
Certainly N95 does NOT guarantee 100% effectiveness. That's correct. No to mention in hospitals they do fit tests to make sure there's a proper seal. That's with training. Consumers have no training nor do most people test or try to make sure there's a seal. Just a quick look around a grocery store of people wearing KN,Ns clearly shows people just wear them for the sake of wearing as most do not have proper seal, making them no more effective than a surgical mask. People buy them then realize they have to take more breaths, it's hot and not comfortable, so they adjust the mask to have small holes, making them non effective and thus wasting the premiums they paid for the N95 rating. That's the truth.

You are right about the fact even a fake KN95 is better than surgical( again only if it's fitted properly) ,but you are currently paying a 10X premium - that's the reason of this conversation. If you are paying a premium then it would make sense to get exactly what you are paying for.
You're right, I should have said there are scientific numbers on cloth masks. What I meant was from reading all those papers, none of those numbers really gives anything conclusive about it. The details and method of testing are questionable. The worse is there are conflicting results between the different tests. (one test saying cloth mask are useless, to one saying it's better than surgical mask)

The proper use of the mask is also highly questionable. I see LOTS of people with medical masks pulled down below the nose. One that irks me is the "trend" of strapping the medical mask on your arm/elbow when they're not using it *insert jackie chan WTF meme*

My current stance ranking is that cloth mask is potentially better than medical mask depending on the situation. Simply because I feel more of what goes in and out, actually goes through the cloth material, especially when the mask is those shaped ones, vs the pleated rectangle ones. Where as with medical mask, I feel more escapes and comes in through the sides.

But if I had to go anywhere with high risk, I'll put on a N95.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1872 upvotes
Ontario
Spinner wrote: Doctors and nurses wear a surgical mask over their respirator to protect their N95, not because of the valve.

The likelihood of the wearer spreading COVID with a valve is pretty low given the valve is pointed downwards.

Not necessarily true. Even the Mayo Clinic will ask you to remove your N95 mask if it has a valve: https://www.news8000.com/health-experts ... d=88280707
Sep 25, 2019
310 posts
353 upvotes
Benzat17 wrote: i never thought of the valve failure

you mean as it might stay open ? which will make the mask very very useless
Does not fully reseal after opening.

It is only a piece of plastic and it does happen with age/use.
Dec 26, 2017
400 posts
248 upvotes
MikuGirl wrote: Does not fully reseal after opening.

It is only a piece of plastic and it does happen with age/use.
ouch that makes it almost useless
anyway i can confirm the valve is closed before wearing it or closes back while i am wearing it?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)