• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2020 1:00 am
[OP]
Sep 28, 2015
652 posts
488 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

[Costco] La Crosse Wi-Fi Wind and Weather Station $49.97

Saw this at Costco today. Comes with a indoor color display unit, an outdoor wind unit and an outdoor temperature/humidity unit. It looks pretty much like this one but Costco sku is slightly different.

https://www.lacrossetechnology.com/ca80550

27 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3608 posts
3699 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a LaCrosse model that's very similar, with a combined outdoor wind and temp/humidity sensor. It's useful, even with Google Home or Alexa setting next to it where you can ask for outdoor readings. The local sensor often differs by a couple of degrees.

A few comments:
- It's more of a "colorful" display rather than color - the colors are fixed on the LCD panel and don't change.
- The indoor temp reads about one degree C high because of internal heat from the display backlight (turn off the backlight and you'll see it drop to match other thermometers)
- The wind reading isn't very accurate in true km/hr
- It doesn't show atmospheric pressure, but rather a guess at the upcoming weather based on rising/falling pressure reading plus temp and humidity
- Too many buttons to press to get the settings functions or check min/max readings.
- It takes C cells in the outdoor sensor, but I found that you can jam a pair of AA batteries in there, and good quality AA alkalines will last the better part of a year.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
1974 posts
413 upvotes
Burlington
Are you sure that is the one Costco was selling? The one they had last year didn't have an outdoor sensor and just got the weather from the internet.

I took it back.
[OP]
Sep 28, 2015
652 posts
488 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
budfrogs wrote: Are you sure that is the one Costco was selling? The one they had last year didn't have an outdoor sensor and just got the weather from the internet.

I took it back.
Yes the package clearly shows the wind sensor and temperature sensor.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
2126 posts
1076 upvotes
budfrogs wrote: Are you sure that is the one Costco was selling? The one they had last year didn't have an outdoor sensor and just got the weather from the internet.

I took it back.
They've had a few of these models. I have the older one without weather sensor, got it on clearance for $24.xx or so and it's been good as a bedroom clock. For me, I'd rather save the $25 vs this outdoor sensor version - just go to your weather app for specifics.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2660 posts
708 upvotes
Which store was this? x.97 means it's clearance. however I've never seen this before at any GTA Costco.
May 17, 2016
13 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
shutterbug wrote: Which store was this? x.97 means it's clearance. however I've never seen this before at any GTA Costco.
Saw this at Overlea Costco today
Jan 26, 2018
854 posts
460 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: A few comments:
- It's more of a "colorful" display rather than color - the colors are fixed on the LCD panel and don't change.
- The indoor temp reads about one degree C high because of internal heat from the display backlight (turn off the backlight and you'll see it drop to match other thermometers)
- It doesn't show atmospheric pressure, but rather a guess at the upcoming weather based on rising/falling pressure reading plus temp and humidity
- Too many buttons to press to get the settings functions or check min/max readings.
- It takes C cells in the outdoor sensor, but I found that you can jam a pair of AA batteries in there, and good quality AA alkalines will last the better part of a year.
local Costco has this on sale for more than a week, I was thinking it could be a good weekend project with kids.
but given the comments, I think any smart home device can do about the same (i.e. google, echo)
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3196 posts
3194 upvotes
Oakville
warmdeals wrote: Saw this at Costco today. Comes with a indoor color display unit, an outdoor wind unit and an outdoor temperature/humidity unit. It looks pretty much like this one but Costco sku is slightly different.

https://www.lacrossetechnology.com/ca80550

Scote64 wrote: I have a LaCrosse model that's very similar, with a combined outdoor wind and temp/humidity sensor. It's useful, even with Google Home or Alexa setting next to it where you can ask for outdoor readings. The local sensor often differs by a couple of degrees.

A few comments:
Side Convo: it's interesting how some Canadians spell "colour" the American English way of "color". Of course spelling with a "u" has French roots.

I wonder if it's a specific age group difference or location within Canada? In GTA from kindergarten up in the 90s they made you spell it "Colour" as a data point.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1880 posts
1562 upvotes
Toronto
zdpz wrote: Side Convo: it's interesting how some Canadians spell "colour" the American English way of "color". Of course spelling with a "u" has French roots.

I wonder if it's a specific age group difference or location within Canada? In GTA from kindergarten up in the 90s they made you spell it "Colour" as a data point.
It's French roots words, but it's actually due to the Brits

Colour is the British spell.

Same as Theatre vs Theater; Centre/Center
Defense/Defence,
Traveling/Travelling

Surprises me a bit that Canada uses Z rather than S in some words, like Utilize/Utilise, realize/realise and the worst for me, say Aluminum rather than Aluminium

edit: but im more than happy with zucchini/eggplant vs courgette/aubergine :)
Last edited by neonic on Feb 6th, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Banned
Jan 15, 2020
62 posts
21 upvotes
The wind meter only works when you position it right, like x meter away from building etc. So not really useful unless you have large farm backyard.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6528 posts
2848 upvotes
Moncton, NB
I'll look for this at costco. I have a model from a few years ago with the outdoor temp sensor. I don't think I've change batteries in it since (got it 2 christmas ago).

I also got one for my dad last year. It was a different model since costco always get a different one every year and he loves it too. It also came with an outdoor temp sensor.

I like this one with the wind sensor. I used to have a kit with a rain sensor etc.. and it was fun to have at home. It was a mini weather station and worked well.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2005
4476 posts
23315 upvotes
Montreal
FYI, It's been on clearance for a few weeks around Montreal warehouse locations
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15640 posts
4716 upvotes
London
shutterbug wrote: Which store was this? x.97 means it's clearance. however I've never seen this before at any GTA Costco.
Also on sale/ clearance at Mississauga Laird/Ridgeway

There’s an app so you can read this station remotely across the internet on a mobile device

I don’t believe this station can connect directly to weather underground

iFi Connectable
Your weather station can function as a standalone weather station OR you can download the free La Crosse View™ App for enhanced features.
Why go Connected?
Anywhere Monitoring of Station and Sensor Information via the La Crosse View™ App
View and Track History with Detailed Graphs
Customize Alerts and Receive Push Notifications of Values Outside of Your Desired Range
Share Your Weather Information
Enhanced Station Features When Connected*
AccuWeather Weather Service
6 Additional Forecast icons
Percent of Precipitation
Daily Forecasted HI/LO
7 Day Forecast
Hourly Forecast
Temperature Forecast
Wind Direction
Time and Date automatically update
View Data Stream (VDS) Technology
NWS Data based on US Zip Code location, NIST Data based on the Time Zone entered on the Device set-up/info page.
Last edited by l69norm on Feb 6th, 2020 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.