[Costco] La Crosse Wi-Fi Wind and Weather Station $49.97

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2020 8:40 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2170 posts
2082 upvotes
Vancouver
keshan wrote: local Costco has this on sale for more than a week, I was thinking it could be a good weekend project with kids.
but given the comments, I think any smart home device can do about the same (i.e. google, echo)
Actually it would be a good weekend project with the kids. You have to think about where to mount the sensors to get good readings for wind and temperature without being affected too much by the sun. Then you have to actually go out and mount them, and check the wireless connection to the base station. Check that they are working by spinning the wind sensor and warming up the temperature sensor.

Then set the max and min alarm settings on the base station, discussing what they should be. Check that the base station is recording maximums and minimums for different time periods. Discuss how it tries to predict weather from the pressure, outdoor humidity and temperature, and what the different icons mean. Check it for a few days to see what max/min readings it is recording, and how accurate the predictions are.

Compare to the announced values you get from the weather service via phone/radio/Google/Alexa, and note how they are a bit different in your exact local area.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2170 posts
2082 upvotes
Vancouver
zdpz wrote: Side Convo: it's interesting how some Canadians spell "colour" the American English way of "color". Of course spelling with a "u" has French roots.

I wonder if it's a specific age group difference or location within Canada? In GTA from kindergarten up in the 90s they made you spell it "Colour" as a data point.
Now you're making me feel guilty for being lazy about spelling. :)

Colour is definitely the correct spelling for Canada, and I usually try to use it in Canada. But sometimes I'm talking about a product that uses the U.S. spelling "Color" in its name, or I just can't be bothered to change auto-corrected spelling on devices set to U.S. English. And I always set my devices to U.S. English because sometimes they implement weird changes or restrictions if you admit that you're in Canada.
Sep 17, 2002
940 posts
392 upvotes
Why do I need this if GH, Alexia or better yet...the weather network and/or CP24 is accessible.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2170 posts
2082 upvotes
Vancouver
iwells wrote: Why do I need this if GH, Alexia or better yet...the weather network and/or CP24 is accessible.
You don't. But like a lot of people I find it a useful display panel to have in the kitchen where I can glance at it quickly to verify the time and the current outdoor conditions without having to say "Alexa/Hey Google, tell me the weather" - which I might not want to do in a quiet house early in the morning. And quite often the local outdoor temperature is a couple of degrees different from what the weather service is reporting, which can be quite important around freezing.
[OP]
Sep 28, 2015
611 posts
465 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
l69norm wrote:
I don’t believe this station can connect directly to weather underground
I think it does. The user guide seems to suggest that the wind direction on the display is from online, as the wind meter cannot measure direction.
Penalty Box
Jun 15, 2012
2347 posts
719 upvotes
Saskatoon
iwells wrote: Why do I need this if GH, Alexia or better yet...the weather network and/or CP24 is accessible.
I don’t think any of those gadgets will tell you exact environmental parameters for your specific location.
Plus this one has independent power sources (back up batteries) and doesn’t require a internet connection.
'The rich get richer and the poor get - children.'
Jan 12, 2007
248 posts
120 upvotes
I lick my finger and stick it out the window to get all this info!
Joking aside I wish this had an air quality reading otherwise it looks like a cool gadget....
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14805 posts
4075 upvotes
London
warmdeals wrote: I think it does. The user guide seems to suggest that the wind direction on the display is from online, as the wind meter cannot measure direction.
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I meant that even though the system is internet connected and receives weather data for its display, it’s not designed to send your own local weather data *to* weather underground .

You can only send it to lacrosse app which appears to be positioned as a competing service vs. weather underground
Penalty Box
Jun 15, 2012
2347 posts
719 upvotes
Saskatoon
Bought one today from Market location. Decent quality and all sensors connected, it also has barometric pressure inbuilt sensor. When I called they had 30 in stock. There were two on the shelf, rest probably were in the warehouse.
'The rich get richer and the poor get - children.'