Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Lagostina 13-piece 5-ply Stainless-steel Commercial Cookware Set $299.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2020 2:37 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2011
711 posts
1703 upvotes
ottawa

[Costco] Lagostina 13-piece 5-ply Stainless-steel Commercial Cookware Set $299.99

There is a new Lagostina 5 ply stainless cookware set at Costco for $299.99. Seems like very good deal for 13 piece set. Especially, it wins when looking at the set items and comparing to five ply Kirkland set. Lagostina pots are very useful sizes and only one frying pan (I specifically do not need one as I use non stick and die cast). Also, it seems to have lifetime warranty from manufacturer plus, Costco return policy.
I ordered this set, wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Is it a good deal?

I also ordered this Zwilling Nano set, and will try to compare and see which one I will keep:
https://www.costco.ca/zwilling-nero-10- ... 66080.html


Also, Costco’s sells Lagostina 12 piece 3 ply set similar to this one for 239.99

https://www.costco.ca/lagostina-12-piec ... 66550.html

Please, do not sidetrack, try keep on the subject of this post and do not post irrelevant opinions.
Last edited by gena_mak on Jul 15th, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
19 replies
Newbie
Jun 21, 2010
7 posts
4 upvotes
Decent price for a good set of pots/pans.
Canadian Tire puts a sale on these 13 piece sets every year right before Christmas. I got my Logostina set I believe 3 years ago for $199.99 (they list them regularly at 1800.00-2000.00 which insane, and advertise for 80% off come Christmas time) and it came with a decent stainless steel cutting knife as a bonus.
That said, I'd still recommend this set at this price. I use all of my set very frequently and they are holding up quite well.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2011
711 posts
1703 upvotes
ottawa
Jamezuh wrote: Decent price for a good set of pots/pans.
Canadian Tire puts a sale on these 13 piece sets every year right before Christmas. I got my Logostina set I believe 3 years ago for $199.99 (they list them regularly at 1800.00-2000.00 which insane, and advertise for 80% off come Christmas time) and it came with a decent stainless steel cutting knife as a bonus.
That said, I'd still recommend this set at this price. I use all of my set very frequently and they are holding up quite well.
Did you buy this 5 ply set?
I just checked and CT doesn’t sell this one. They do have 5 ply copper clad though for ridiculous $2800. For $1800 CT lists 3 ply sets.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 31, 2009
792 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
I saw the all clad 10 piece on sale for $799 with 50% off at william sonoma clearance sale which brings it down to $400. I thought about getting it as all clad is fantastic. But i have a hard time justifying 10 pieces which i will probably not use some of them lol
Last edited by cdfegab on Jul 15th, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2011
711 posts
1703 upvotes
ottawa
calvados.boualrd wrote: Is this made in China, or Itally?
All sub $500 and may be bit more are made in China. Unfortunately. Except may be formerly Paderno now Meyers made in Canada. But, they are bit more expensive and not high end either.

Edit:
I would clarify bit more what I said above, most of the multi clad (3 to 5 ply, etc) stainless sets with respectable number of items are made in China. I checked quite few of them.
Last edited by gena_mak on Jul 15th, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 13, 2008
3696 posts
5021 upvotes
Oakville
gena_mak wrote: There is a new Lagostina 5 ply stainless cookware set at Costco for $299.99. Seems like very good deal for 13 piece set. Especially, it wins when looking at the set items and comparing to five ply Kirkland set. Lagostina pots are very useful sizes and only one frying pan (I specifically do not need one as I use non stick and die cast). Also, it seems to have lifetime warranty from manufacturer plus, Costco return policy.
I ordered this set, wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Is it a good deal?

I also ordered this Zwilling Nano set, and will try to compare and see which one I will keep:
https://www.costco.ca/zwilling-nero-10- ... 66080.html


Also, Costco’s sells Lagostina 12 piece 3 ply set similar to this one for 239.99

https://www.costco.ca/lagostina-12-piec ... 66550.html

Please, do not sidetrack, try keep on the subject of this post and do not post irrelevant opinions.
OP thanks for posting, but just a comment:
Asking people to chime in and then saying you don't want "irrelevant opinions" is quite contradictory. Who decides what's relevant or not?

The reviews on Costco for this entire set are very unfavourable, pointing at staining when booking water and cooking oil despite following manufacturer instructions.

Also, the lid handle was mentioned to been hot and can't use with bare fingers while boiling.

Lastly, the lids rest right ontop, I can't see if it has a perimeter book to prevent condensation from leaking out. Other higher quality sets have the kid rest into the pot to prevent this from happening.

I copied @Nikhilvoid to comment as he is quite well versed in cookware.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 31, 2009
792 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
the zwilling nanoset is a direct copy of Hestan Nanobond thats made in italy, not sure where zwilling one is made
Sr. Member
Sep 22, 2010
859 posts
1190 upvotes
Victoria
gena_mak wrote: All sub $500 and may be bit more are made in China. Unfortunately. Except may be formerly Paderno now Meyers made in Canada. But, they are bit more expensive and not high end either.
Not entirely true. I picked up a set of Italian made Lagostina a while back that was in the $300 range. Hence why I am seeking clarification about this specific set.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2011
711 posts
1703 upvotes
ottawa
zdpz wrote: OP thanks for posting, but just a comment:
Asking people to chime in and then saying you don't want "irrelevant opinions" is quite contradictory. Who decides what's relevant or not?

The reviews on Costco for this entire set are very unfavourable, pointing at staining when booking water and cooking oil despite following manufacturer instructions.

Also, the lid handle was mentioned to been hot and can't use with bare fingers while boiling.

Lastly, the lids rest right ontop, I can't see if it has a perimeter book to prevent condensation from leaking out. Other higher quality sets have the kid rest into the pot to prevent this from happening.

I copied @Nikhilvoid to comment as he is quite well versed in cookware.
Posting an ad for a hummer and sidetracking the discussion to a torque wrench I would consider irrelevant and unhelpful as one can find a lot of topics with torque wrenches. Even though they are tools.

As far as reviews, there are only 7 reviews and most of them are favourable and it’s not enough to make a judgment. But, there simply no reviews for this set out there. This is one of the the reasonS I am posting. Also, I think it’s a good deal.

However, I find your comments to the set’s function helpful.

Just wanted to digress and to chime in about reviews and quality of reviews. Recently I bought Miele coffee machine. And, before buying I was looking at reviews. One of the reviewers was saying as how terrible that machine and she or he has to press so hard to turn it on and off, buttons are terrible. What the user failed to understand that buttons are censors and it is enough to touch a button and hold for two seconds and voila. After such review someone made incorrect assumption about the product.
Last edited by gena_mak on Jul 15th, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2011
711 posts
1703 upvotes
ottawa
calvados.boualrd wrote: Not entirely true. I picked up a set of Italian made Lagostina a while back that was in the $300 range. Hence why I am seeking clarification about this specific set.
Well, I am generalizing. Thank you for pointing this out.

I would add most of the multi clad (3 to 5 ply, etc) stainless sets with respectable number of items.
Last edited by gena_mak on Jul 15th, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie
Apr 30, 2017
47 posts
45 upvotes
Edmonton
Great deal. I love that the frying pan comes with a lid.
I’d buy this if I didn’t have set already... been using for 25 years now.
In a world where you can be anything...
Be Kind.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2011
711 posts
1703 upvotes
ottawa
cdfegab wrote: the zwilling nanoset is a direct copy of Hestan Nanobond thats made in italy, not sure where zwilling one is made
Zwilling made in China as well.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 30, 2013
935 posts
834 upvotes
GTA
gena_mak wrote: Well, I am generalizing. Thank you for pointing this out.

I would add most of the multi clad (3 to 5 ply, etc) stainless sets with respectable number of items.
I picked up a 7-piece set of All-Clad D3's for under $400, made in the USA. I guess it may not be a "respectable number of items"?
Tech Arsenal ASUS G11CD | Samsung Galaxy S22+ | Nikon D5200 | Sennheiser HD 6XX
Newbie
Jun 21, 2010
7 posts
4 upvotes
gena_mak wrote: Did you buy this 5 ply set?
I just checked and CT doesn’t sell this one. They do have 5 ply copper clad though for ridiculous $2800. For $1800 CT lists 3 ply sets.
It was a 5 ply set but like I said it was a few years back and I had noticed their big sale every year right before Christmas. It's entirely possible they've reduced stock to just the 3 ply sets.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1160 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto
What makes this "commercial"?
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2011
711 posts
1703 upvotes
ottawa
techkid wrote: I picked up a 7-piece set of All-Clad D3's for under $400, made in the USA. I guess it may not be a "respectable number of items"?
I get the irony... I did not say all, I said most. You got lucky and caught a nice and very rare sale.
Also, 7 pieces may not be most useful in terms of universality or usefulness of sizes and shapes of pots and pans. I guess it’s 3 pots, 3 lids and frying pan. However, All Clad....

For example Costco warehouse has All Clad set for around $700 or, so. We checked it and decided against it. Because for the price for us there was only 2 useful pieces. I guess it all depends on the use case.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 16, 2011
5189 posts
7593 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
zdpz wrote: @Nikhilvoid , please can you chime in?
Costco has really good prices for cookware, so this isn't a bad deal. The skillet is 9.4", which is considerably smaller than a full 12" one

I'm more tempted by the Kirkland 5-ply with a copper-core: https://www.costco.ca/kirkland-signatur ... 29551.html


costco-kirkland-signature-10-piece-5-pl ... #p31843598

The problem with the copper-core might be layer separation, but Costco has a good return policy.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2011
711 posts
1703 upvotes
ottawa
Just got our Lagostina set delivered. Must say it feels solid and hefty. I would say feels better than Kirkland in hand. I wanted to buy the Kirkland set from warehouse but, it did not make sense for us because few pieces were not useful (for us).
With this Lagostina set, we dont not care for lid handles though. We like knobs types more but... the number of pieces, usefulness and size of pieces, 5 ply clad tech, quality at least appearance of it for $300 really outweigh the negatives.
The first impression is very good. Will see how it is in daily use.
Images
  • 9EAB96AC-4550-414A-A5B1-AA850031EAD3.jpeg
  • 5D7EC319-6E28-4BA3-A1EA-AEDBB1D408B9.jpeg
  • 79C1C2EF-909F-4088-AB34-4B708708341F.jpeg

Top