• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2021 2:50 pm
[OP]
Dec 6, 2009
274 posts
146 upvotes
Montreal

Costco Laptop bilingual keyboards

Looking to get a laptop for school at Costco, but they all say bilingual keyboard when i look online. Is there a way to get US english keyboards?
32 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29039 posts
14586 upvotes
Only way is to:
1) Buy a bilingual and swap it yourself
2) Buy a brand that doesn't have this nonsense
3) Buy it from Costco US (which especially today is easier said than done)
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6918 posts
4654 upvotes
SW ON
I don't have any bilingual keyboards. Are they not QWERTY for English? Are any English keys in different positions? If not, French can be just ignored then.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7173 posts
9144 upvotes
The NORTH
moomoosaurus wrote: Looking to get a laptop for school at Costco, but they all say bilingual keyboard when i look online. Is there a way to get US english keyboards?
I bought an Asus Vivobook from Costco that has a standard keyboard, not a bilingual keyboard so not every laptop from Costco has a bilingual keyboard.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21155 posts
7536 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: I don't have any bilingual keyboards. Are they not QWERTY for English? Are any English keys in different positions? If not, French can be just ignored then.
No. The problem is not the main letter keys. It's other keys such as the shift keys or return key. The multilingual keyboards and the French keyboards generally suck. For example, look at the return keys in this comparison:

CDNV4OCNVNBRDBPPMWOSWVQP6Y.jpeg

US English on left. Multilingual on right.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6918 posts
4654 upvotes
SW ON
EugW wrote: No. The problem is not the main letter keys. It's other keys such as the shift keys or return key. The multilingual keyboards and the French keyboards generally suck. For example, look at the return keys in this comparison:

US English on left. Multilingual on right.
Is the Enter key on bilingual keyboards always like this? I've seen Enter keys like this on English keyboards. It looks "old style" to me.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2009
274 posts
146 upvotes
Montreal
kr0zet wrote: I bought an Asus Vivobook from Costco that has a standard keyboard, not a bilingual keyboard so not every laptop from Costco has a bilingual keyboard.
That severely limites my choices at Costco. I thought maybe it’s only in QC that they mandate this, but when i changed the store to Ontario, same thing for the laptops that interest me. Not the end of the world, but it’s a pain to have to adapt to it everytime since I use several devices daily.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21155 posts
7536 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: Is the Enter key on bilingual keyboards always like this?
Not always, but usually.
I've seen Enter keys like this on English keyboards. It looks "old style" to me.
There are several different types of "English" keyboards. The one people in Canada and the US generally want though is specifically US English because it always has the wide enter key and wide shift keys. (Multi-lingual keyboards often make the left shift key narrow, and then stuff another key beside the Z key.) And no, the other keyboard with the narrow return key is not an "old style" keyboard, since even US English typewriters from decades ago have a similarly wide enter key (although they may also be tall too).

When you stray away from the US English layout, you get setups that people in English North America often find really annoying. This includes the problem of the narrow enter and/or shift keys, but also other keys in unexpected locations. This is true for many symbol keys.

In general, I've noticed that the budget laptops mostly come with multilingual keyboards. It's the mid-range and higher end laptops that come with the choice of US English vs. other. However, I've also noticed that occasionally budget laptops are advertised with multi-lingual keyboards but actually ship with US English ones, but also that there is no consistency. For example, there was a thread a while back for a cheap Chromebook from one of the big retailers. A few people got US English models, whereas later on they only shipped multi-lingual models, but nowhere in the ordering process were people allowed to choose the keyboard.
Mar 2, 2017
287 posts
294 upvotes
alpovs wrote: Is the Enter key on bilingual keyboards always like this? I've seen Enter keys like this on English keyboards. It looks "old style" to me.
They keyboard layout most North American English speakers are used to is called the ANSI layout. This one has the straight enter key with the backslash above it.

The other major layout is ISO. This has the "Big Ass Enter" key, the backslash beside it on home row, a shorter left shift and an extra key to the right of the left shift.

Those layouts get further broken down into regional layouts with various customizations. In general, ANSI is more of a North American thing while ISO is more of a rest of the world thing, but you can get any language in any layout if you try hard enough. It's more about tradition.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2760 posts
1313 upvotes
Toronto
moomoosaurus wrote: Looking to get a laptop for school at Costco, but they all say bilingual keyboard when i look online. Is there a way to get US english keyboards?
Dell laptops are shipped out from the US. Every Dell laptop that I've ordered has English only keyboards. That's why I order all of my laptops from Dell.

You used to be able to change out the Dell keyboards on their Inspiron line. They don't do that anymore for some reason.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7173 posts
9144 upvotes
The NORTH
moomoosaurus wrote: That severely limites my choices at Costco. I thought maybe it’s only in QC that they mandate this, but when i changed the store to Ontario, same thing for the laptops that interest me. Not the end of the world, but it’s a pain to have to adapt to it everytime since I use several devices daily.
Not trying to limit your choices, just pointing out that not ALL of them have funky keyboards.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6918 posts
4654 upvotes
SW ON
ddot98 wrote: They keyboard layout most North American English speakers are used to is called the ANSI layout. This one has the straight enter key with the backslash above it.

The other major layout is ISO. This has the "Big Ass Enter" key, the backslash beside it on home row, a shorter left shift and an extra key to the right of the left shift.

Those layouts get further broken down into regional layouts with various customizations. In general, ANSI is more of a North American thing while ISO is more of a rest of the world thing, but you can get any language in any layout if you try hard enough. It's more about tradition.
I've seen both over the years in US English keyboards. That's why I thought that tall but also wide, not narrow (like you properly described it "Big Ass") Enter key is not that uncommon. But I think it was on older keyboards.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8563 posts
897 upvotes
Scarborough
After reading this thread, I looked at all the laptops I have at home, they all have US keyboard. I probably have never owned a bilingual keyboard and can not really understand the experience. Thank you all for educating me on this topic.

Edit: at work we use Dell Latitude and IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad, they have US Keyboard.
Last edited by Menace on Aug 12th, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2007
2098 posts
683 upvotes
Whatever you decide to buy, don’t buy a bilingual version. I have been kicking myself for the past two years as I thought the deal was too good to pass and I convinced myself that I get used to it. No No No. Anyway, don’t limit yourself to Costco. You will often find incredible deals from Lenovo or Dell directly. Follow the guy here called @RedFlagDealGuy. He post good deals with tons of information to support.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2009
274 posts
146 upvotes
Montreal
simplylgg wrote: Whatever you decide to buy, don’t buy a bilingual version. I have been kicking myself for the past two years as I thought the deal was too good to pass and I convinced myself that I get used to it. No No No. Anyway, don’t limit yourself to Costco. You will often find incredible deals from Lenovo or Dell directly. Follow the guy here called @RedFlagDealGuy. He post good deals with tons of information to support.
Bilingual KBs are the worst idea in history. Even my Francophone friends hate it here in QC lol
[OP]
Dec 6, 2009
274 posts
146 upvotes
Montreal
kr0zet wrote: Not trying to limit your choices, just pointing out that not ALL of them have funky keyboards.
I didn’t take it that you were limiting my choices at all. I was just lamenting that Costco seems to only stock majority bilingual KBs, limiting my choice as to what I’m willing to buy from them.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2009
274 posts
146 upvotes
Montreal
ds2chan wrote: Dell laptops are shipped out from the US. Every Dell laptop that I've ordered has English only keyboards. That's why I order all of my laptops from Dell.

You used to be able to change out the Dell keyboards on their Inspiron line. They don't do that anymore for some reason.
I had a fairly bad experience with Dell when i got the XPS15 a few years ago. And youtube reviews have consistently shown trackpad problems in the XPS line last year and this year. I’m not going there. Besides, Dell has not used Ryzen chips yet, i won’t buy Intel as punishment for them being dicks over the last decade when they had a near monopoly.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19032 posts
6404 upvotes
Toronto
Costco sells MacBooks and they are English-only from what I saw in-store.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7467 posts
4090 upvotes
Debtario
It's not the end of the world, but for heavy touch typists it could be problematic.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
5835 posts
6790 upvotes
Richmond Hill
moomoosaurus wrote: Besides, Dell has not used Ryzen chips yet, i won’t buy Intel as punishment for them being dicks over the last decade when they had a near monopoly.
Dell most certainly does have Ryzen chips. There's a long-running thread of a Ryzen Dell laptop deal that comes and goes: dell-new-inspiron-15-amd-5700u-16gb-512gb-810-2463430/

Is there any reason why you want Costco in particular? They limited their satisfaction guarantee to 90 days for computers, so it's not the peace of mind it used to be.