Costco Laptop bilingual keyboards

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2021 2:50 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2794 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
moomoosaurus wrote: I had a fairly bad experience with Dell when i got the XPS15 a few years ago. And youtube reviews have consistently shown trackpad problems in the XPS line last year and this year. I’m not going there. Besides, Dell has not used Ryzen chips yet, i won’t buy Intel as punishment for them being dicks over the last decade when they had a near monopoly.
That sucks. There was another person on RFD that had a bad experience with Dell before. I haven't had any issues so I'm still good with them. As somebody else already mentioned, Dell is using AMD chips in their laptops. I remember seeing a few.

I feel like you're looking for a needle in a Canadian haystack. Good luck. I believe there are a few around (I swear I've seen a couple at Best Buy and/or Costco before) but they're hard to find because of that law about keyboards having to have French characters on them.

Keep us updated. I'm curious where you might find them too.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
May 24, 2006
2086 posts
657 upvotes
What's your budget? You can get Surface Pros with English keyboard, even shipping to QC. The MSI one is also English only.

Personally, I only buy ThinkPads, so I always order from Lenovo using EPP and I always get US keyboard.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2009
282 posts
155 upvotes
Montreal
rugerty100 wrote: Dell most certainly does have Ryzen chips. There's a long-running thread of a Ryzen Dell laptop deal that comes and goes: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/dell-ne ... 0-2463430/

Is there any reason why you want Costco in particular? They limited their satisfaction guarantee to 90 days for computers, so it's not the peace of mind it used to be.
I didnt’ know costco only has 90 days on laptops. I wanted costco for the warranty, guess i won’t be buying there then haha. I;ll look at the Dell Ryzen ones to compare, but again like I mentioned, once bitten twice shy with Dell. At the moment, Lenovo and HP are in my sights for a $1000 laptop, good performance and pricing on the Pavillion and Ideapad lines.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2009
282 posts
155 upvotes
Montreal
br0pbr0p wrote: What's your budget? You can get Surface Pros with English keyboard, even shipping to QC. The MSI one is also English only.

Personally, I only buy ThinkPads, so I always order from Lenovo using EPP and I always get US keyboard.
My budget is $1000, thinkpads are too high end. I’m looking at the Ideapad line and the Pavillion lines from HP (whose store is a mess lol). MS Surface stuff is too expensive for the performance they provide,
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9195 upvotes
The NORTH
moomoosaurus wrote: I didnt’ know costco only has 90 days on laptops. I wanted costco for the warranty, guess i won’t be buying there then haha. I;ll look at the Dell Ryzen ones to compare, but again like I mentioned, once bitten twice shy with Dell. At the moment, Lenovo and HP are in my sights for a $1000 laptop, good performance and pricing on the Pavillion and Ideapad lines.
You're confusing the warranty with the return period. You have 90 days to return a laptop, no questions asked. As for the warranty, Costco extends the manufacturer's warranty on computers (excluding tablets) to 2 years from the date of purchase if the manufacturer's warranty is less than 2 years.

So in reality you get a better warranty from Costco as its 2 years vs most manufactures 1 year warranty.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2009
282 posts
155 upvotes
Montreal
kr0zet wrote: You're confusing the warranty with the return period. You have 90 days to return a laptop, no questions asked. As for the warranty, Costco extends the manufacturer's warranty on computers (excluding tablets) to 2 years from the date of purchase if the manufacturer's warranty is less than 2 years.

So in reality you get a better warranty from Costco as its 2 years vs most manufactures 1 year warranty.
Damn, now i want costco lol. Thanks for clarifying, an xtra year warranty u can’t go wrong with that. It’s rare that I return stuff, usually only buy stuff I’m very sure of after alot of research.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
6278 posts
7452 upvotes
Richmond Hill
moomoosaurus wrote: Damn, now i want costco lol. Thanks for clarifying, an xtra year warranty u can’t go wrong with that. It’s rare that I return stuff, usually only buy stuff I’m very sure of after alot of research.
Do you find yourself claiming warranty often?

Most decent credit cards have a similar warranty extension feature that stretches the warranty to two years as well. It definitely won't be as smooth and hassle-free as the Costco warranty if you have to make a claim, but personally it's not high up in my list of priorities.

What features are you looking for in a laptop? Size, weight, processor performance, graphics performance, touchscreen, colour accuracy, screen brightness, 2-in-1, stylus, fingerprint, battery life, thunderbolt, USB-C charging, etc?
Deal Addict
May 24, 2006
2086 posts
657 upvotes
moomoosaurus wrote: My budget is $1000, thinkpads are too high end. I’m looking at the Ideapad line and the Pavillion lines from HP (whose store is a mess lol). MS Surface stuff is too expensive for the performance they provide,
X-series starts from $850 right now on EPP site. (code: FNDEPP)
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/ibmeppfrie ... TO1WWENCA0

Or T-series for $975
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/ibmeppfrie ... TO1WWENCA0
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1458 posts
1065 upvotes
Mississauga
moomoosaurus wrote: Damn, now i want costco lol. Thanks for clarifying, an xtra year warranty u can’t go wrong with that. It’s rare that I return stuff, usually only buy stuff I’m very sure of after alot of research.
your best and only bet is Mac at Costco or if you have someone in the us that can buy it for you and ship it

some other options

standalone keyboard
swap out keyboard
get used to the bilingual one :(
[OP]
Dec 6, 2009
282 posts
155 upvotes
Montreal
rugerty100 wrote: Do you find yourself claiming warranty often?

Most decent credit cards have a similar warranty extension feature that stretches the warranty to two years as well. It definitely won't be as smooth and hassle-free as the Costco warranty if you have to make a claim, but personally it's not high up in my list of priorities.

What features are you looking for in a laptop? Size, weight, processor performance, graphics performance, touchscreen, colour accuracy, screen brightness, 2-in-1, stylus, fingerprint, battery life, thunderbolt, USB-C charging, etc?
Unsure since i have to check with the school if they have any requirements, but i suspect just the normal ultrabook would be good enough. I have more or less narrowed it down to the Ideapad 5, HP Pavillion or even Yoga line. 14” to 15” screen, Ryzen 6 core, 16GB RAM, good screen are my preferences, The Acer Swift X that just came out is pretty hot too, but can’t get that in Canada just yet.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
6278 posts
7452 upvotes
Richmond Hill
moomoosaurus wrote: Unsure since i have to check with the school if they have any requirements, but i suspect just the normal ultrabook would be good enough. I have more or less narrowed it down to the Ideapad 5, HP Pavillion or even Yoga line. 14” to 15” screen, Ryzen 6 core, 16GB RAM, good screen are my preferences, The Acer Swift X that just came out is pretty hot too, but can’t get that in Canada just yet.
Keep an eye on this laptop: lenovo-canada-ideapad-5-14-fhd-laptop-r ... e-2480583/

On the partner portals (SPC/Lenovo SMB/Perkopolis), the price is ~$680 or so starting today with coupon code IDEA5SUPRISE1.

However, the code doesn't seem to be active on the main site (yet)? If it does become available, you can then stack with 10% off student discount, 7% rakuten, and the $50 Uber (Eats) credit.

I just purchased this last week for $609.99, 12% Rakuten, and hopefully the $50 Uber.
Images
  • idea5.PNG
[OP]
Dec 6, 2009
282 posts
155 upvotes
Montreal
rugerty100 wrote: Keep an eye on this laptop: lenovo-canada-ideapad-5-14-fhd-laptop-r ... e-2480583/

On the partner portals (SPC/Lenovo SMB/Perkopolis), the price is ~$680 or so starting today with coupon code IDEA5SUPRISE1.

However, the code doesn't seem to be active on the main site (yet)? If it does become available, you can then stack with 10% off student discount, 7% rakuten, and the $50 Uber (Eats) credit.

I just purchased this last week for $609.99, 12% Rakuten, and hopefully the $50 Uber.
That one looks like a great deal too. I can’t really buy it yet till i get the requirements from the school. There are so many good choices these days, first world problems lol. For student discounts, does Lenovo (or HP) just ask for student number? How do they verify?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29374 posts
14883 upvotes
alpovs wrote: I don't have any bilingual keyboards. Are they not QWERTY for English? Are any English keys in different positions? If not, French can be just ignored then.
I think Acer is just printing French stuff on their keyboards keeping the Enter key "normal".
But other manufacturers (ie Lenovo) have gone full pants on head stupid with their bilingual enter/shift keys.

That's what's funny. I don't care what's printed on my keys. Keep the damn keys in the same place.
I don't need a neutered shift/enter key.
audit13 wrote: Costco sells MacBooks and they are English-only from what I saw in-store.
Some manufacturers including Apple only have US English keyboards.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.