AB
i don't think i've ever seen this at beacon hill
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4806 posts
783 upvotes
ryokoseigo wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2019 8:47 pm
Effective isn't really what matters, the added weight has tangible benefits. Your blankets stay in place way better due to the weight. I genuinely find the added weight to feel great as it just makes the entire sleeping experience feel better. And It likely has similar effects as hugging pillows, in that it provides a feeling of being embraced due to the added weight, which does have positive benefits in and of itself. I don't have mental health issues, but I love my 20lb blanket, and honestly want a heavier one.
If "feeling" matters and "effective" doesn't, that's the very definition of a placebo. Again, there's no scientific evidence that proves these weighed blankets help you sleep better.
Last edited by JustBob on Sep 3rd, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 1, 2017
178 posts
155 upvotes
Hence why I edited it to say "magical health benefits" instead of effective, as I didn't know where my paragraph was going when I started.
Sep 23, 2007
216 posts
1003 upvotes
Vancouver
JustBob wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2019 8:40 pm
If you're not in the "special needs" category, and believe this will help you sleep, enjoy your placebo:

"In terms of good quality research proving they're effective, that's not available."

https://www.abc.net.au/life/do-weighted ... s/11073072
That is a poor extrapolation of the article.

Effectively they have no scientific proof it will help you sleep better.

It also says it can help relax you and ground you.

So, it depends on why you want to try one out.
Aug 29, 2010
333 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
JustBob wrote:
If you're not in the "special needs" category, and believe this will help you sleep, enjoy your placebo:

"In terms of good quality research proving they're effective, that's not available."

I mean...$20 for a blanket is still a solid deal. Thanks for your help though?
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4806 posts
783 upvotes
Hey, people can spend their money as they wish, I just thought savvy shoppers would appreciate more info and not just fall for the fad du jour. After that... not my problem. ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2420 posts
932 upvotes
Toronto
JustBob wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2019 8:54 pm
If "feeling" matters and "effective" doesn't, that's the very definition of a placebo. Again, there's no scientific evidence that proves these weighed blankets help you sleep better.
This is because there is no universal sleeping style.
For some people, the blanket will help - for others it won't.
Yeah - very testimony based (and less evidence based), but who cares?
Even if placebo, so long as better sleep is achieved, worth it.
Best of all - this is Costco, where returns are super easy.
Jul 2, 2010
15 posts
10 upvotes
I rushed out to my Costco location but couldn't find it =(
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2420 posts
932 upvotes
Toronto
maskedrolla wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2019 8:57 pm
Effectively they have no scientific proof it will help you sleep better.
Perhaps no proof as a universal aid, but certainly there must be documented early development clinical studies with autistic children.
Dec 24, 2018
33 posts
46 upvotes
Gregish wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2019 9:09 pm
I rushed out to my Costco location but couldn't find it =(
And your location is ??????
May 30, 2016
136 posts
168 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
JustBob wrote:

I enjoy sleeping with a nice heavy duck down duvet during winter. During summer it's too hot for me so I bought a weighted blanket with a cover that's supposed to be cooler. Sometimes it does get a bit hot despite the cover, but I prefer this over a light blanket.

If you know you like heavy duvets I think you will find that you like a weighted blanket.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7608 posts
3777 upvotes
ON
ryokoseigo wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2019 8:30 pm
Yeah, but I can't borrow the card, since the- hours from me part. Driving 5 hours- then 5 back kinda defeats the price savings lol.
Have them mail it to you, then mail it back. Cost ya 2 stamps.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4616 posts
677 upvotes
SK
Thatdealguy wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2019 8:24 pm

Blue and Grey Colours. clearance price. Costs around $100-$120 on Amazon or other retail stores.

I bought 2 at Richmond location. Should be nationwide since they are clearing out all the old inventory.
Can you please post the sku off the receipt?
shopper-X
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2420 posts
932 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah - heat is a concern for me too.
I suspect it will not work for me - I toss and turn.
I like the idea (and would give it a shot), but would not expect a miracle.

I keep thinking of how weirdly nice an xray protection cover feels when at the dentist.