Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Lean Ground Beef ~$6.6/kg

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2021 2:14 pm
Mar 23, 2018
382 posts
509 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] Lean Ground Beef ~$6.6/kg

Costco has packs of lean ground beef at $4 off their regular price. The price comes out to ~$6.6 per kg. They usually discount the big tubes by $4, but on the $21 packs of beef, that is a huge savings imo.

edit: this was at the Etobicoke location in case this is a regional or store specific deal.
Last edited by liftinpeanuts on Mar 10th, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
37 replies
Jul 14, 2012
167 posts
94 upvotes
Calgary
I do wonder. I thought the ground beef is from the US.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2715 posts
562 upvotes
I think it's made from fresh/frozen, while you can get all fresh from other grocery stores. Just so people know if it makes a difference to them.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2015
1261 posts
1416 upvotes
Toronto, ON
chiefshopper wrote: Ever wonder why its so cheap?
It's actually not that cheap compared to the discount grocery stores that sell at $2-3/lbs, which is less expensive than $6.6/kg.

I found that supermarket ground beef sometimes has a funny taste or a smell to it. Maybe its just anecdotal but it's reassuring seeing the meat get processed in the Costco facility, which looks clean to me.

I'd rather pay a small premium for Costco meats than a supermarket like freshco or no frills.
Nov 10, 2015
119 posts
99 upvotes
Calgary
FrugalConsumer wrote: It's actually not that cheap compared to the discount grocery stores that sell at $2-3/lbs, which is less expensive than $6.6/kg.

I found that supermarket ground beef sometimes has a funny taste or a smell to it. Maybe its just anecdotal but it's reassuring seeing the meat get processed in the Costco facility, which looks clean to me.

I'd rather pay a small premium for Costco meats than a supermarket like freshco or no frills.
Even Safeway/Sobeys/Co-op regularly have sales at $2.99 per pound.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
This is very much YMMV. I've been at a Costco twice in one week and once the ground beef had a rebate and later on in the week it was regular price. My guess is it's related to the supply they have in-store since they don't keep it over for the next day.

I'm out West and the ground beef was $8.99/kg this Tuesday (no rebate).
Mar 23, 2018
382 posts
509 upvotes
Toronto
ichibansan wrote: Because it is Costco, not Longos?
I hear they also grind in steak trimmings into it. I love the beef that they stock at Costco. Very good quality.
Mars2012 wrote: This is very much YMMV. I've been at a Costco twice in one week and once the ground beef had a rebate and later on in the week it was regular price. My guess is it's related to the supply they have in-store since they don't keep it over for the next day.

I'm out West and the ground beef was $8.99/kg this Tuesday (no rebate).
I added the location in case this is a store specific deal. It was at the Etobicoke (off the QEW) location.
Mar 23, 2018
382 posts
509 upvotes
Toronto
FrugalConsumer wrote: It's actually not that cheap compared to the discount grocery stores that sell at $2-3/lbs, which is less expensive than $6.6/kg.

Costco as a policy specifically stocks high quality meats. For beef I believe they only stock AA or AAA and their buyers are picky about the sub grades. High quality meat is part of Costco's strategy in attracting and retaining members (source: I looked into their stock as an equity analyst in the past).
Oct 9, 2014
375 posts
529 upvotes
YEG, YXE, YYZ
liftinpeanuts wrote: Costco as a policy specifically stocks high quality meats. For beef I believe they only stock AA or AAA and their buyers are picky about the sub grades. High quality meat is part of Costco's strategy in attracting and retaining members (source: I looked into their stock as an equity analyst in the past).
I did not know this. I just figured, Lean is Lean. Thank you for the insider knowledge.
Mar 23, 2018
382 posts
509 upvotes
Toronto
IntramuralDavid wrote: I did not know this. I just figured, Lean is Lean. Thank you for the insider knowledge.
Some more info if you are interested: their standard markup is 15% over their cost for non-Kirkland products, and 18% for Kirkland label (crazy low gross margin for retail, they get profits off of volume and memberships). Their target demographic is higher mid-income to high income households, similar to Amazon Prime.
Jun 22, 2016
495 posts
381 upvotes
Not important
ChrisT363328 wrote: Even Safeway/Sobeys/Co-op regularly have sales at $2.99 per pound.
You're totally right! I always check the Safeway flyer for that deal. I love their meat and they always have employees stocking the meat department whenever I have a question. It's great.
Nov 13, 2013
930 posts
1026 upvotes
Quebec
IntramuralDavid wrote: I did not know this. I just figured, Lean is Lean. Thank you for the insider knowledge.
I mostly buy lean ground beef, and everytime I'm buy the Costco one I'm like:this can't be lean, seems to be have more fat
Mar 23, 2018
382 posts
509 upvotes
Toronto
JP3ll3ti3r wrote: I mostly buy lean ground beef, and everytime I'm buy the Costco one I'm like:this can't be lean, seems to be have more fat
Costco ground beef is about 85-88% lean. You might be comparing it to extra lean ground beef which is common in grocery stores and is 10% or less fat %.
Jan 20, 2019
534 posts
975 upvotes
Today I learned a lot about why I like Costco ground beef. Thanks OP! That is enlightening.
Feb 18, 2013
170 posts
210 upvotes
Ottawa
Recently I had a visit and my mother told me that if the fat content of the lean beef was 17% or less, to buy her a pack. I took a look, and that day's batch didn't have labels, so I decided to ask a staffer who was looking over the meat section. I asked him what the fat content was. He told me that under Canadian law, "lean" is defined as no more than 17% fat, however, Costco store policy is no more than 15% fat. He explained that every batch they grind they record the fat content in a log book. He summoned a guy from the back to bring a label for my pack of ground beef, as well as the LOG BOOK. He then proceeded to show me a column of figures with the fat content of the days' batches (there had been two already and it was barely noon), as well as the fat content of the previous couple of days' batches recorded on the same page. The figures were hand-written, and hovered between 12% and 14.5%, never higher. Interestingly, the label says 17% fat content, but those are pre-printed labels, and I guess give the stores some leeway.

That said, if you are reading the labels, note that the left column of figures states number of grams of fat in a 100 g portion. So 17 g equates to 17% fat content. Do not make the mistake that my mother made, reading the percentage of fat in the right hand column which represents the amount of fat that a 100 g portion contains, as a percentage of the average person's recommended daily intake.

The guy seemed very knowledgeable and friendly, taking the time to show me all of this. Another reason why I love that store. Great shopping experience on all fronts.
Nov 13, 2013
930 posts
1026 upvotes
Quebec
liftinpeanuts wrote: Costco ground beef is about 85-88% lean. You might be comparing it to extra lean ground beef which is common in grocery stores and is 10% or less fat %.
No we even bought lean at grocery store once to compare, weighted an even quantity and cooked both separately in the same pan for the same time. More fat in the Costco one but I don't remember numbers
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32143 posts
15423 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Came to this thread not expecting much as $3/lb is a decent but not amazing price.
The knowledge gained has been very educational.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2018
1964 posts
3172 upvotes
Unixverse
Saw $4 OFF lean ground beef today at Markham East too, wasn’t shopping for that so didn’t pay much attention if that’s the tube or package.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)