Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Lego city Sets 29.97 (YMMV, seen at Burlington location)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2022 12:32 pm
[OP]
Nov 25, 2010
142 posts
368 upvotes
Laval

[Costco] Lego city Sets 29.97 (YMMV, seen at Burlington location)

Hopefully not posted yet, I saw these Lego Sets at the Burlington location for 29.97
PXL_20220626_174513351.jpg
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jun 27th, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added YMMV and location to title
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
4735 posts
3083 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
This HOT? Need an expert opinion. Anyone got a guy? Saw this at my local costco as well.
😱
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2728 posts
3168 upvotes
Langley
b0ne wrote: This HOT? Need an expert opinion. Anyone got a guy? Saw this at my local costco as well.
Just checking the first one with space thingy, it's $50 at Toys R us.
Dec 5, 2006
271 posts
226 upvotes
Vancouver
b0ne wrote: This HOT? Need an expert opinion. Anyone got a guy? Saw this at my local costco as well.
regular price is $50, so a good discount if those sets interest you
Mar 14, 2009
480 posts
697 upvotes
Halifax
I usually go with 10¢/piece or less. So I didn't find these sets particularly good value before and still don't now.

Like this was $60 recently: https://www.costco.ca/.product.2020797.html

Or this $49: https://www.costco.ca/.product.2231129.html

Even that I'd say good not awesome deal.
Last edited by dillybravo on Jun 26th, 2022 6:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
1408 posts
1182 upvotes
Durham Region
$50 is ridiculous for the space one

$30 for space one is 11 cents per piece pre tax which is decent
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
4495 posts
2052 upvotes
Edmonton
I'd agree these sets were ridiculously priced - $50 for 275 pieces, that prob takes less than 30 minutes to build.

And with Lego's upcoming price increases I think people are going to think twice about dropping cash on some of their sets.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17791 posts
8616 upvotes
dillybravo wrote: I usually go with 10¢/piece or less. So I didn't find these sets particularly good value before and still don't now.

Like this was $60 recently: https://www.costco.ca/.product.2020797.html

Or this $49: https://www.costco.ca/.product.2231129.html

Even that I'd say good not awesome deal.
The $0.10 price point doesn't always work when there are sets with physically larger pieces like this one. The creator sets you linked often have a bunch of smaller pieces and no figures, so they often have a higher piece count.

I think the only way to judge these sets is based on the discount off MSRP. This one is 40% off MSRP with the clearance price, so it's a pretty good deal. But I don't think it's meant to keep the attention of an adult, this one is more for younger kids.
Mar 14, 2009
480 posts
697 upvotes
Halifax
TrevorK wrote: The $0.10 price point doesn't always work when there are sets with physically larger pieces like this one. The creator sets you linked often have a bunch of smaller pieces and no figures, so they often have a higher piece count.
It's true, but I am trying to maximize build time (= how long my kid is kept busy with it), not maximum amount of material. Or interesting/unique pieces.

I assume generally the more pieces the longer it takes to build. Perhaps even better if they're small, fiddly ones heh.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7169 posts
1650 upvotes
dillybravo wrote: It's true, but I am trying to maximize build time (= how long my kid is kept busy with it), not maximum amount of material. Or interesting/unique pieces.

I assume generally the more pieces the longer it takes to build. Perhaps even better if they're small, fiddly ones heh.
Honestly, it doesn't make that much difference, like 30 mins vs 40 mins build. I buy the set based on kids' interest, not the piece count.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17791 posts
8616 upvotes
dillybravo wrote: It's true, but I am trying to maximize build time (= how long my kid is kept busy with it), not maximum amount of material. Or interesting/unique pieces.

Lol, fair enough!

I always though the Lego Creator sets were awesome for that because you can build multiple things from the one set. It seems like way more build time. Our son just never really got into them compared to the other product lines, I'm not sure why. Star Wars must be too enticing lol.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2000 posts
1468 upvotes
Vancouver

This is why I like the creator 3-in-1, because my son likes to build, break and build something else. The big sets with one build are just a pain because they really aren't designed to be taken apart all the time, and if they are too big, it's too much to go from 6 separate bags of stuff on the first build to one giant pile on subsequent re-builds. So many "I need help finding a piece!" call outs while he does that.

Other kids like to make a set and play with it, and if your kid is like that, then you want the set that will keep them interested the longest and $/piece matters way less.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)