Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] LG 32" QHD Monitor - $289.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2020 6:13 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 24, 2018
615 posts
842 upvotes
Langley BC
TheFrostOne wrote: What are the best online places to order this from? (as in, where should I be continuously checking for stock)
I am assuming that you are not close to a costco store or your store doesn't have this monitor. Costco.ca has this in stock every now and then for $300 but I always sells out fast so you should check every few days.
Koodo $35 5 Gig deal (x2)
Member
Jul 31, 2015
485 posts
250 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Can anyone chime in on how/if a monitor this large works on your work desk? Or people just using this for gaming/videos?
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1202 posts
533 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: How many monitors have you had fail within 3 years?
It depends on your definition of failure. Dead pixels can be an issue though.
iRSX2011 wrote:
I'm actually wondering the same thing. I've actually never had a single monitor fail on me although I really haven't had that many over the years. Maybe 5? Each was at least 4 years before I sold it or gave it away in order to upgrade.
DonM28020 wrote: I think that if you can get out of the first year without problems you are most likely good but it doesnt hurt to have a bit of extra warranty. One other thing to think about is costco gives a 90 day no hassle return on all electronics so this will cover black Friday and boxing day sales if a better deal shows up or if you are not happy with the monitor for any reason.
Yup. This monitor is the regular price if not mistaken at Costco, it's not on clearance. Because Costco states one year warranty without an extended warranty, I wouldn't expect them to honour it for longer.
Sr. Member
Dec 14, 2003
590 posts
77 upvotes
This is a good deal, slightly less than what I paid my HP Omen 32 with comparable specs 2 years ago (HP is VA however).
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 24, 2007
588 posts
635 upvotes
Kelowna
Went by Costco a few days ago with the intention of picking up one of these LG 32's for an upcoming arcade build and the only sample they had was broken. Tons of artifacting and pixelations when all the nearby monitors looked fine.

Likely a lemon but still made me hesitant to pick one up. Judging by that one, extended warranty might be a good thing for those looking into this one. Told the guy working that area to swap it out with a new one if they hoped to sell any.

Now considering a 43" 4K TV instead. Only thing I preferred on the LG monitor was that the screen is a lot more matte than a TV. Size wise, I'm kind of torn since this will also be a gaming computer and the extra real estate might be nice when my Sinden Lightguns come in.

If you look closely at the picture I included, the leftmost blue/purple umbrella has red pixels in it. Much clearer in person however anyone having similar problems with theirs?
Images
  • 20201016_111109.jpg
Member
Jan 12, 2012
311 posts
314 upvotes
Calgary
EP32k2 wrote: How many monitors have you had fail within 3 years?
Have a monitor still going over 12 years
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 24, 2007
588 posts
635 upvotes
Kelowna
sswilson wrote: I've been using one as a vertical pinball field (and now vertical MAME screen) without any complaints.
Always happy to hear current available in Canada devices being used in an arcade build. So much info is either US based or so old they don't even make it anymore. How do you find the picture quality when looking at it at an angle? Is your monitor permanently mounted vertical or do you have a mount to get it horizontal as well?

Building a 4 player modal arcade pedestal (with a built in desk for regular keyboard and mouse gaming) with a wall mounted screen that will flip from landscape to portrait depending on the game being played. Have every component picked up except my monitor. Next step is to start building it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 22, 2009
2939 posts
1104 upvotes
Lethbridge
calgaryholmes wrote: Have a monitor still going over 12 years
Dell U2711 FTW. The only reason I'm looking to upgrade is higher framerates, but otherwise I have yet to find a monitor as good for anywhere close to what I paid for this, IMHO.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
1158 posts
669 upvotes
turtlepower11 wrote: Can anyone chime in on how/if a monitor this large works on your work desk? Or people just using this for gaming/videos?
I plan to upgrade my dual 24” FHD to dual 32’s when these come in stock at my local store.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
6313 posts
2072 upvotes
Vancouver
EP32k2 wrote: How many monitors have you had fail within 3 years?
iRSX2011 wrote:
I'm actually wondering the same thing. I've actually never had a single monitor fail on me although I really haven't had that many over the years. Maybe 5? Each was at least 4 years before I sold it or gave it away in order to upgrade.
prohomy wrote: Lg only has a 1yr warranty on their monitors whereas asus benq acer have standard 3yr and philips, I believe, does 4yrs.
Samsung generally only has 1yr on their monitors as well.
When monitor shopping, I don't even consider samsung and lg because of this.

I own a number of monitors from different brands( 6 in total) . I had 2 LG fail on me in the last 3 years. I won't buy it again. All failed 1-2 years after purchase, just outside of the warranty. 2 of my phones also broke just 1.5years after warranty( the infamous LG G4 and the manufacturers defect).
I now buy monitors with at least 3 years warranty. If manufacturers don't trust their own brand, why should I?! LG is the cheapest out of many monitor brands and they sell their monitors are at a reduced prices in order to generate sales. Cost comes from cutting down the warranty. If you add extra warranty to match the same monitors from other brands, costs tend to even out. So, LG prays on those who rather gamble.
Member
Mar 19, 2009
253 posts
82 upvotes
ekashyap wrote: I see that there is another thread for a Staples deal on an Acer 31.5" IPS monitor with the same 75Hz refresh rate. The Acer has freesync as well.

Which monitor would be better for everyday use and occasional gaming? Both monitors are priced at $300.

LG: https://www.lg.com/ca_en/desktop-monitors/lg-32QK500-W

Acer (from Staples): https://www.staples.ca/products/2870765 ... xU0%3AP2M0
If you decide to go with the acer at staples, don't forget $25 DISCOUNTS (code: 75039) with 1.xx filler (to make the order 300+ dollar) . I purchased the Acer monitor 2 years ago and are quite happy with it.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1202 posts
533 upvotes
dazz wrote: I own a number of monitors from different brands( 6 in total) . I had 2 LG fail on me in the last 3 years. I won't buy it again. All failed 1-2 years after purchase, just outside of the warranty. 2 of my phones also broke just 1.5years after warranty( the infamous LG G4 and the manufacturers defect).
When a manufacturer has a warranty longer than the competition that to me provides reassurance the product has quality components and workmanship. I've also owned the G4 and say it has quality issues too.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
18322 posts
6524 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: How many monitors have you had fail within 3 years?
Three.
DonM28020 wrote: I think that if you can get out of the first year without problems you are most likely good but it doesnt hurt to have a bit of extra warranty. One other thing to think about is costco gives a 90 day no hassle return on all electronics so this will cover black Friday and boxing day sales if a better deal shows up or if you are not happy with the monitor for any reason.
The last one started failing maybe a year and a half iirc.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
18783 posts
6346 upvotes
Toronto
prohomy wrote: Lg only has a 1yr warranty on their monitors whereas asus benq acer have standard 3yr and philips, I believe, does 4yrs.
Samsung generally only has 1yr on their monitors as well.
When monitor shopping, I don't even consider samsung and lg because of this.
Have you experienced issues with monitors though?
I picked up some random monitor and I've had it on for 5 years lol
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2009
1743 posts
326 upvotes
Halifax
porksoda wrote: where are the nits "lovers" who are going to say its too low.
Since there is no HDR here, you can low nits in SDR all you want. Contrast and 10 bit panel matters as well
RIP E3 30% off pre order games 2011-2019 :twisted:
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 19, 2017
948 posts
747 upvotes
Moncton
Hexxed wrote: Always happy to hear current available in Canada devices being used in an arcade build. So much info is either US based or so old they don't even make it anymore. How do you find the picture quality when looking at it at an angle? Is your monitor permanently mounted vertical or do you have a mount to get it horizontal as well?

Building a 4 player modal arcade pedestal (with a built in desk for regular keyboard and mouse gaming) with a wall mounted screen that will flip from landscape to portrait depending on the game being played. Have every component picked up except my monitor. Next step is to start building it.
I built a fixed angle vertical mount with a removable controller cabinet. It's primarily built as a standing pinball cabinet (correct flipper button height and width) but I also added (just yesterday :) ) buttons for mame (primarily vertical shooters).

https://hardwarecanucks.com/forum/threa ... box.81834/

Overall Front no monitors.jpg
Overall Front both monitors.jpg
Completed front cabinet.jpg
Wide angle eye view.jpg

As far as viewing angles go. I'm at 45 deg and it looks great standing, but it's a bit overwhelming seated (eye level even with the bottom third of the panel).
Last edited by sswilson on Oct 18th, 2020 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Member
Jan 5, 2007
232 posts
499 upvotes
North York
ekashyap wrote: I see that there is another thread for a Staples deal on an Acer 31.5" IPS monitor with the same 75Hz refresh rate. The Acer has freesync as well.

Which monitor would be better for everyday use and occasional gaming? Both monitors are priced at $300.

LG: https://www.lg.com/ca_en/desktop-monitors/lg-32QK500-W

Acer (from Staples): https://www.staples.ca/products/2870765 ... xU0%3AP2M0
They are the same monitor internally. The actual panel being supplied by AU Optronics, it is not LG. This same monitor is sold under many brand names so buy the cheapest one that looks best to you housing wise (the case) and maybe warranty wise.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
3951 posts
953 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How often does the Costco one come online? Would prefer avoiding the lineups in store
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 19, 2017
948 posts
747 upvotes
Moncton
honggil wrote: How often does the Costco one come online? Would prefer avoiding the lineups in store
Seems to show up at least monthly, but you've got to be quick as it goes out of stock pretty quickly. For some reason they don't leave the listing up when it's OOS and old links to the product don't lead to the new stock so you have to check the main monitor listings to see if it's back in stock.

I'm actually surprised to see this in store. The Moncton Costco wasn't carrying it when I checked a few months ago (they had a 32" 1080p version).
rflair wrote: They are the same monitor internally. The actual panel being supplied by AU Optronics, it is not LG. This same monitor is sold under many brand names so buy the cheapest one that looks best to you housing wise (the case) and maybe warranty wise.
The panels might be the same, but the inputs are different. The LG has 2X HDMI, 1X DP, and 1X mDP, the Acer looks like it's got 1X HDMI, 1X DP, and 1X VGA.
Last edited by sswilson on Oct 18th, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Member
Jan 12, 2012
311 posts
314 upvotes
Calgary
Pauly Boy wrote: Dell U2711 FTW. The only reason I'm looking to upgrade is higher framerates, but otherwise I have yet to find a monitor as good for anywhere close to what I paid for this, IMHO.
Not saying that I am not upgrading. Old monitors I use as a secondary use for spreadsheets and such.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)