Hot Deals

[Costco] LG 32" QHD Monitor - $289.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 9:27 pm
Jan 12, 2012
281 posts
291 upvotes
Calgary
EP32k2 wrote: How many monitors have you had fail within 3 years?
Have a monitor still going over 12 years
May 24, 2007
542 posts
558 upvotes
Kelowna
sswilson wrote: I've been using one as a vertical pinball field (and now vertical MAME screen) without any complaints.
Always happy to hear current available in Canada devices being used in an arcade build. So much info is either US based or so old they don't even make it anymore. How do you find the picture quality when looking at it at an angle? Is your monitor permanently mounted vertical or do you have a mount to get it horizontal as well?

Building a 4 player modal arcade pedestal (with a built in desk for regular keyboard and mouse gaming) with a wall mounted screen that will flip from landscape to portrait depending on the game being played. Have every component picked up except my monitor. Next step is to start building it.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2838 posts
978 upvotes
Lethbridge
calgaryholmes wrote: Have a monitor still going over 12 years
Dell U2711 FTW. The only reason I'm looking to upgrade is higher framerates, but otherwise I have yet to find a monitor as good for anywhere close to what I paid for this, IMHO.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
1081 posts
561 upvotes
turtlepower11 wrote: Can anyone chime in on how/if a monitor this large works on your work desk? Or people just using this for gaming/videos?
I plan to upgrade my dual 24” FHD to dual 32’s when these come in stock at my local store.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5970 posts
1856 upvotes
Thornhill
iRSX2011 wrote:
I'm actually wondering the same thing. I've actually never had a single monitor fail on me although I really haven't had that many over the years. Maybe 5? Each was at least 4 years before I sold it or gave it away in order to upgrade.
prohomy wrote: Lg only has a 1yr warranty on their monitors whereas asus benq acer have standard 3yr and philips, I believe, does 4yrs.
Samsung generally only has 1yr on their monitors as well.
When monitor shopping, I don't even consider samsung and lg because of this.

I own a number of monitors from different brands( 6 in total) . I had 2 LG fail on me in the last 3 years. I won't buy it again. All failed 1-2 years after purchase, just outside of the warranty. 2 of my phones also broke just 1.5years after warranty( the infamous LG G4 and the manufacturers defect).
I now buy monitors with at least 3 years warranty. If manufacturers don't trust their own brand, why should I?! LG is the cheapest out of many monitor brands and they sell their monitors are at a reduced prices in order to generate sales. Cost comes from cutting down the warranty. If you add extra warranty to match the same monitors from other brands, costs tend to even out. So, LG prays on those who rather gamble.
I use voice typing and rarely read what I typed...
Mar 19, 2009
238 posts
69 upvotes
ekashyap wrote: I see that there is another thread for a Staples deal on an Acer 31.5" IPS monitor with the same 75Hz refresh rate. The Acer has freesync as well.

Which monitor would be better for everyday use and occasional gaming? Both monitors are priced at $300.

LG: https://www.lg.com/ca_en/desktop-monitors/lg-32QK500-W

Acer (from Staples): https://www.staples.ca/products/2870765 ... xU0%3AP2M0
If you decide to go with the acer at staples, don't forget $25 DISCOUNTS (code: 75039) with 1.xx filler (to make the order 300+ dollar) . I purchased the Acer monitor 2 years ago and are quite happy with it.
Aug 14, 2019
767 posts
365 upvotes
dazz wrote: I own a number of monitors from different brands( 6 in total) . I had 2 LG fail on me in the last 3 years. I won't buy it again. All failed 1-2 years after purchase, just outside of the warranty. 2 of my phones also broke just 1.5years after warranty( the infamous LG G4 and the manufacturers defect).
When a manufacturer has a warranty longer than the competition that to me provides reassurance the product has quality components and workmanship. I've also owned the G4 and say it has quality issues too.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16889 posts
6090 upvotes
Three.
DonM28020 wrote: I think that if you can get out of the first year without problems you are most likely good but it doesnt hurt to have a bit of extra warranty. One other thing to think about is costco gives a 90 day no hassle return on all electronics so this will cover black Friday and boxing day sales if a better deal shows up or if you are not happy with the monitor for any reason.
The last one started failing maybe a year and a half iirc.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
17986 posts
5327 upvotes
Toronto
prohomy wrote: Lg only has a 1yr warranty on their monitors whereas asus benq acer have standard 3yr and philips, I believe, does 4yrs.
Samsung generally only has 1yr on their monitors as well.
When monitor shopping, I don't even consider samsung and lg because of this.
Have you experienced issues with monitors though?
I picked up some random monitor and I've had it on for 5 years lol
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1664 posts
309 upvotes
Halifax
porksoda wrote: where are the nits "lovers" who are going to say its too low.
Since there is no HDR here, you can low nits in SDR all you want. Contrast and 10 bit panel matters as well
RIP E3 30% off pre order games 2011-2019 :twisted:
Sep 19, 2017
861 posts
680 upvotes
Moncton
Hexxed wrote: Always happy to hear current available in Canada devices being used in an arcade build. So much info is either US based or so old they don't even make it anymore. How do you find the picture quality when looking at it at an angle? Is your monitor permanently mounted vertical or do you have a mount to get it horizontal as well?

Building a 4 player modal arcade pedestal (with a built in desk for regular keyboard and mouse gaming) with a wall mounted screen that will flip from landscape to portrait depending on the game being played. Have every component picked up except my monitor. Next step is to start building it.
I built a fixed angle vertical mount with a removable controller cabinet. It's primarily built as a standing pinball cabinet (correct flipper button height and width) but I also added (just yesterday :) ) buttons for mame (primarily vertical shooters).

https://hardwarecanucks.com/forum/threa ... box.81834/

Overall Front no monitors.jpg
Overall Front both monitors.jpg
Completed front cabinet.jpg
Wide angle eye view.jpg

As far as viewing angles go. I'm at 45 deg and it looks great standing, but it's a bit overwhelming seated (eye level even with the bottom third of the panel).
Last edited by sswilson on Oct 18th, 2020 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Jan 5, 2007
215 posts
437 upvotes
North York
ekashyap wrote: I see that there is another thread for a Staples deal on an Acer 31.5" IPS monitor with the same 75Hz refresh rate. The Acer has freesync as well.

Which monitor would be better for everyday use and occasional gaming? Both monitors are priced at $300.

LG: https://www.lg.com/ca_en/desktop-monitors/lg-32QK500-W

Acer (from Staples): https://www.staples.ca/products/2870765 ... xU0%3AP2M0
They are the same monitor internally. The actual panel being supplied by AU Optronics, it is not LG. This same monitor is sold under many brand names so buy the cheapest one that looks best to you housing wise (the case) and maybe warranty wise.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
3877 posts
786 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How often does the Costco one come online? Would prefer avoiding the lineups in store
Sep 19, 2017
861 posts
680 upvotes
Moncton
honggil wrote: How often does the Costco one come online? Would prefer avoiding the lineups in store
Seems to show up at least monthly, but you've got to be quick as it goes out of stock pretty quickly. For some reason they don't leave the listing up when it's OOS and old links to the product don't lead to the new stock so you have to check the main monitor listings to see if it's back in stock.

I'm actually surprised to see this in store. The Moncton Costco wasn't carrying it when I checked a few months ago (they had a 32" 1080p version).
rflair wrote: They are the same monitor internally. The actual panel being supplied by AU Optronics, it is not LG. This same monitor is sold under many brand names so buy the cheapest one that looks best to you housing wise (the case) and maybe warranty wise.
The panels might be the same, but the inputs are different. The LG has 2X HDMI, 1X DP, and 1X mDP, the Acer looks like it's got 1X HDMI, 1X DP, and 1X VGA.
Last edited by sswilson on Oct 18th, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Jan 12, 2012
281 posts
291 upvotes
Calgary
Pauly Boy wrote: Dell U2711 FTW. The only reason I'm looking to upgrade is higher framerates, but otherwise I have yet to find a monitor as good for anywhere close to what I paid for this, IMHO.
Not saying that I am not upgrading. Old monitors I use as a secondary use for spreadsheets and such.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

SamuelB74638