[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2005
2004 posts
449 upvotes

[Costco] LG 43-in. Smart 4K UHD TV 43UN7300 - $447.99

https://www.costco.ca/lg-43-in.-smart-4 ... 60773.html
https://www.amazon.ca/LG-43UN7300-UHD-S ... B0875N36CZ

Can be bought at both Costco.ca and Amazon. Not sure if there's in-store stock at Costco, but (correct me if I'm wrong) a few TVs I've checked were generally not that much cheaper in-store compared to their online prices. So, taking advantage of the shipping might be worth it. It's also available on Amazon with a backorder notice, but a lot of the times it usually arrives much earlier.

I bought this TV 55" last year and it's been great (UM model). For a 43" TV I'd say this is best price for the quality, 4K, HDR, decent viewing angles (if that matters to you). If you need bigger than 43" though there are some other good options in the 50" and 55" range (generally couple $100 more).
Last edited by Chocolinx on Feb 22nd, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
29 replies
Sep 4, 2017
244 posts
258 upvotes
I find it funny that they state "Real 4K Display" in the Amazon description, I guess to differentiate from the WRGB LCDs LG was using in some of their cheaper TVs.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8760 posts
3214 upvotes
Mississauga
redflagdealsguy wrote: I wish they sold with IPS panels consistently.

The 2019 model made a great PC Monitor for the price, on that premise.

If you see IPS on the side of the box, it's a reasonable buy for that use-case.

Good luck, gents.
I thought the 43" 7300 model is IPS. Are you saying some of the 43" 7300 sets are VA panels?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17892 posts
20044 upvotes
kenchau wrote: I thought the 43" 7300 model is IPS. Are you saying some of the 43" 7300 sets are VA panels?
Not just some, they seem to have flooded that model with VA panels.

Don't get me wrong, they work fine as PC Monitors as they support 4K60 RGB 4:4:4, but they're best viewed head on because of their reduced viewing angles.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2005
2004 posts
449 upvotes
kenchau wrote: I thought the 43" 7300 model is IPS. Are you saying some of the 43" 7300 sets are VA panels?
I know in the 2019 model it was only the 50" model that was the VA panel. Maybe it's the same thing for the 2020? But, as mentioned earlier, it'll say on the box "Real 4K Display" for VA and "Real 4K IPS" for IPS.

SOURCE: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/un ... ifferences
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8760 posts
3214 upvotes
Mississauga
redflagdealsguy wrote: Not just some, they seem to have flooded that model with VA panels.

Don't get me wrong, they work fine as PC Monitors as they support 4K60 RGB 4:4:4, but they're best viewed head on because of their reduced viewing angles.
Chocolinx wrote: I know in the 2019 model it was only the 50" model that was the VA panel. Maybe it's the same thing for the 2020? But, as mentioned earlier, it'll say on the box "Real 4K Display" for VA and "Real 4K IPS" for IPS.

Doh! I just grabbed this from Costco last night thinking it was IPS panel for the 43" model.

I specifically need IPS because of my use case.

Will need to check the box when I get home. I haven't opened it yet. But the 43" set that was on display at Costco had no degradation on the angles (granted that display set likely would have been from the beginning) but *fingers crossed*
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17892 posts
20044 upvotes
kenchau wrote: Doh! I just grabbed this from Costco last night thinking it was IPS panel for the 43" model.

I specifically need IPS because of my use case.

Will need to check the box when I get home. I haven't opened it yet. But the 43" set that was on display at Costco had no degradation on the angles (granted that display set likely would have been from the beginning) but *fingers crossed*
The 2020 VA panel isn't bad, it's viewing angles aren't terrible, so if what you saw at Costco was a VA panel... then you might be fine.

Remember, these 7300 panels are 4K60 RGB 4:4:4, they still make great productivity panels. That is to say, they make great multipurpose PC Monitors.

The IPS panels are better for that use-case, but VAs are still respectable.
Nov 16, 2012
11 posts
5 upvotes
Ajax
Anyone know if this comes with a magic remote?
Nov 22, 2017
221 posts
295 upvotes
Montreal
I bought one in November. I got same price as now, but after I used coupon 50$ discount on 250$ order, so now it 50$ cheaper. Overall we love it, not sure how to check if it is IPS or VA panel, I don't think we kept the box. Only complain related to brightness, it is located near the window and dark films during day time looks too dark. Increasing brightness doesn't help that much unfortunately. Otherwise great 4k TV for great price.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8760 posts
3214 upvotes
Mississauga
Chocolinx wrote: I know in the 2019 model it was only the 50" model that was the VA panel. Maybe it's the same thing for the 2020? But, as mentioned earlier, it'll say on the box "Real 4K Display" for VA and "Real 4K IPS" for IPS.

I just checked. It says, "Real 4K". No "Display" nor "IPS".
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17892 posts
20044 upvotes
kenchau wrote: I just checked. It says, "Real 4K". No "Display" nor "IPS".
If you went in store, you can normally flip through each TV box looking for the IPS model.

Normally, if it's one panel type, they're all the same. In this case, VA.

Still decent TVs, and bright enough to make reasonable PC Monitors.
Jun 22, 2015
8 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I picked up one of these to use as a monitor. Believe it's the VA panel based on box but viewing angle is great. Really beautiful as a TV.

As a monitor, the edges of the display bother me. It appears the LCD substrate (between the thin film and the backlight diffuser) is fairly thick or maybe the diffuser doesn't wrap around the edge of substrate. Mostly works very nicely as monitor; but looking at very edges when you are up close, image about scroll bar width is very dark (backlight design issue described above).

Save the tax if someone in Toronto want to pick it up, otherwise, I'm going to return it. Great as a TV, definitely usable as a monitor.. but not a big enough improvement over my existing, I'm going to keep searching.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17892 posts
20044 upvotes
deeess wrote: I picked up one of these to use as a monitor. Believe it's the VA panel based on box but viewing angle is great. Really beautiful as a TV.

As a monitor, the edges of the display bother me. It appears the LCD substrate (between the thin film and the backlight diffuser) is fairly thick or maybe the diffuser doesn't wrap around the edge of substrate. Mostly works very nicely as monitor; but looking at very edges when you are up close, image about scroll bar width is very dark (backlight design issue described above).

Save the tax if someone in Toronto want to pick it up, otherwise, I'm going to return it. Great as a TV, definitely usable as a monitor.. but not a big enough improvement over my existing, I'm going to keep searching.
This edge issue is common on most TVs except for some QLEDs and OLEDs.

If it's a deal killer, I would steer clear of TV-Monitors until TVs mature further (better tech at a lower price) or your budget goes up.

You've made a valid decision for your use-case. I spent a good three or four years on panels like this one and worse before upgrading. My first TV-Monitor was in 2014/2015 with a 1080p 42" Insignia.
Jun 22, 2015
8 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
redflagdealsguy wrote: This edge issue is common on most TVs except for some QLEDs and OLEDs.

If it's a deal killer, I would steer clear of TV-Monitors until TVs mature further (better tech at a lower price) or your budget goes up.

You've made a valid decision for your use-case. I spent a good three or four years on panels like this one and worse before upgrading. My first TV-Monitor was in 2014/2015 with a 1080p 42" Insignia.
I've never seen this until now - I have a 42" LG 1080p from around 2011/2012. I've used it as a monitor to test size/distance and it does not exhibit this issue at all. My 24in monitors also don't. A friend's 27" 4k monitor has this same issue - but to a lesser extent.

Any idea how I can tell if a model will exhibit this or not? I couldn't find anything on the topic on rtings.

Any idea if the IPS and VA are similar in this regard or not?