• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2020 4:39 pm
[OP]
Jul 1, 2012
43 posts
35 upvotes

[Costco] LG 4K UHD 50" UN7000 $430

Picked up this today from costco.ca.
Wanted this one over the 49" because it is a VA Panel rather than IPS.
Viewing angles not as good, but blacks and contrast are far superior.
First LG TV still going strong, but wanted to upgrade dimensions.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1555 posts
751 upvotes
oh wow.... It actually has component. Thats nice. Seems like all TV's now a days cheap out and only offer composite for analog inputs. If this actually is a good deal, i might pick it up(using a 1080p toshiba from 2010, that funny enough, has awesome I/O. 4 HDMI, 2 component, 1 composite)
Mar 2, 2005
155 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
surf99992001 wrote: Picked up this today from costco.ca.
Wanted this one over the 49" because it is a VA Panel rather than IPS.
Viewing angles not as good, but blacks and contrast are far superior.
First LG TV still going strong, but wanted to upgrade dimensions.
How do you know this is va rather than ips?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2698 posts
1064 upvotes
Ottawa
Damn, makes the 43 inch UN7000 I got for $400 seem stupid, good thing I'm using it as a monitor and wouldn't consider using the 50inch as a monitor. As a TV this would be a nice price.

I think for a TV, VA panels are fine because most of the time you won't get to those crazy viewing angles anyways.
firstlight wrote: How do you know this is va rather than ips?
I think rtings has a chart that tells you which size uses which panels. But it isn't always correct because LG has sometimes switched between VA and IPS, especially with 43inch. Apprently if the box says "Real 4K IPS" then you got the IPS, if it just says "Real 4K" then you get the VA.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4459 posts
1378 upvotes
Good IPS to use as a PC monitor. Overall 6.6 on rtings.
signature closed for renovation
[OP]
Jul 1, 2012
43 posts
35 upvotes
On the Costco website it is listed as "Real 4K display" so pretty confident it is the VA Panel, which I would prefer for the blacks and contrast.
Jun 2, 2017
257 posts
113 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Got the H8G 58” Hisense couple weeks back for $482 tax included with 5-yr warranty from Warehouse - would this be a better deal given it’s an LG?
IT guy | dad | sneakerhead | everything Apple | AV enthusiast | new homeowner
Apr 23, 2016
4 posts
1 upvote
Must be almost a decade I didn’t shop for a tv, I can’t find the contrast ratio anywhere for this tv, is that kind of information still relevant today?
[OP]
Jul 1, 2012
43 posts
35 upvotes
njourdain wrote: Must be almost a decade I didn’t shop for a tv, I can’t find the contrast ratio anywhere for this tv, is that kind of information still relevant today?
Definitely not a TV techie, and this is so a budget TV.. basically VA has deeper blacks, and better contrast - how is that for a ratio ;) , rather than better viewing angles of IPS's.
Dec 3, 2018
219 posts
383 upvotes
I always wished rtings would review the IPS and VA versions of LG tv's instead they always review an IPS panel and just comment that the 50" uses a VA and won't have as good viewing angles. It would be really interesting to see the 49" IPS pitted against the 50" VA. I believe LG makes a 60" VA model, too (60UN6951).
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2698 posts
1064 upvotes
Ottawa
surf99992001 wrote: On the Costco website it is listed as "Real 4K display" so pretty confident it is the VA Panel, which I would prefer for the blacks and contrast.
Careful, I got the 43UN7000 from Costco just in case the 7300 I got comes with a VA. The listing for the 7000 said "Real 4K display", but when it came today, the box says "Real 4K IPS". So make sure you check the box before you open.
greatauroro28 wrote: Got the H8G 58” Hisense couple weeks back for $482 tax included with 5-yr warranty from Warehouse - would this be a better deal given it’s an LG?
I would say go check out rtings and see if they have a review on your model. Some TVs may perform better in different things, like some TVs are better at sports than TV shows. But if you don't watch any sports then that score doesn't matter as much as the TV show score. But for me, pretty much any of the 4K TVs are an upgrade.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2007
1367 posts
379 upvotes
VA is generally better for Black levels than IPS, but not in this case from what I've seen. The blacks look much better on the IPS than VA even though the IPS panel is actually the UN7000 while the VA is UN7300 which is more expensive.

Skip to 5:18 of the video for a comparison between IPS and VA for LG TV's here
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2006
1138 posts
323 upvotes
KW
50" TCL 5 series was $439 last week? I think that may be a better TV as it has local dimming and also VA.
Oct 2, 2018
498 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
I picked up the Samsung Smart TV, 4K UHD 55" model UN55NU6900 for $439 last week Costco instore, for a budget TV (not my main set) I thought for the price it would do the job....also has a VA panel.

The Samsung is 5 inches larger however has 2 HDMI ports which is all I really need.....LG has three HDMI ports which is nice but for me not a dealbreaker. I have an HDMI switch hanging around if needed at some time.

I do like the LG and seems like a good buy ....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
6359 posts
4555 upvotes
Ottawa
When we are talking about a 50-60 inch TV for a gaming console and Netflix, is VA or IPS preferable?
With Zoomer Wireless !
Nov 22, 2017
19 posts
38 upvotes
njourdain wrote: Must be almost a decade I didn’t shop for a tv, I can’t find the contrast ratio anywhere for this tv, is that kind of information still relevant today?

This TV has a VA panel, which have good contrast ratio at the expense of viewing angles. Here is a review for the UN6950 with a VA panel and a ~1:3900 contrast ratio.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
18362 posts
20910 upvotes
I love LG panels, but I have no use for their midtier VAs.

I much prefer their IPS panels, and I'm very disappointed that they've decided to mix and match VAs and IPS panels in their purportedly IPS-only sizes from just one generation again.

Fortunately, I'm finding most of the slightly lower tier UN6951/UN6950 model TVs remain IPS panels, and they sell for considerably less despite looking fantastic to my eyes, with the proper content. They certainly make better PC Monitors, to my eyes.

Respect to OP, but these are my two cents on the matter.
Dec 3, 2018
219 posts
383 upvotes
stillmatic11 wrote: VA is generally better for Black levels than IPS, but not in this case from what I've seen. The blacks look much better on the IPS than VA even though the IPS panel is actually the UN7000 while the VA is UN7300 which is more expensive.

Skip to 5:18 of the video for a comparison between IPS and VA for LG TV's here
I saw this and left me up in arms because in the video comparison at 5:18 the IPS looks like it's putting out deeper blacks than the VA but then when he's navigating the menus at 6:33 the VA's blacks are very obviously darker then the IPS' :-S
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1360 posts
257 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Picked up a 50UN7300 from Loblaw last week for $499, happy with it. They "wii mote" remote from the 7300 and better black worth the extra $70 in my eye. For that it worth both 7000/7300 supposed to be on WebOS 5.0 but I am stuck with 3.xxx