Hot Deals

[Costco] LG 55B8 OLED 1500$

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2019 8:55 am
Tags:
Nov 22, 2016
74 posts
50 upvotes
Why would u be concerned about burn in with Costco's 5yr extended warranty? They'll most likely reimburse u in case of a burn in, isn't that what the warranty is for?
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2458 posts
81 upvotes
I think some warrenties don’t cover burn in as that is not a manufacturer issue but a consumer usage issue. Though if you fight hard enough, you might get them to cover it. Best to read the fine print first.
Shavenhead777 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 12:14 am
Why would u be concerned about burn in with Costco's 5yr extended warranty? They'll most likely reimburse u in case of a burn in, isn't that what the warranty is for?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
2446 posts
1046 upvotes
Pothole city
Kaldonis wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 9:59 pm
Picked one up today at Saskatoon North, they had about 4 more in stock. Thanks OP!
Can't believe I get downvotes for this thread....
Aug 22, 2007
630 posts
444 upvotes
want one.. but 55" is a bit small for my viewing area :*(
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2006
1078 posts
261 upvotes
KW
Thanks OP. It's a good deal for people in the market for a 55". I'm personally waiting for the C9 65" as it has amazing latency reduction compared to previous years, and LG added support for adaptive sync which will be killer for next-Gen consoles. Also, they improved the minor black crush issues and a few other tweaks. Burn in issues (like in the Plasma days) are mostly overblown. With prices like these we finally have some real choice!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2962 posts
568 upvotes
Toronto
I would love an OLD screen but how bad is the burn-ins?
Feb 5, 2013
119 posts
46 upvotes
This TV with the "old: b7/c7" processor is amazing.
For burn in, just don't forget in static images. leave the TV in well ventilated spaces.
Use screensaver. If you forget sometimes you just turn on the tv turner on some moving images like some series, films etc for a couple of hours.

The burn in on this kind of is less than 3% of sets and depends much on usage. This is not the old plasma burn in.

Mostly the fear induced by other manufacturers that gain more still with LEDs, QLEDs etc.

Source: I'm an Electrical Engineer and owner for 2 years of the b7.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1341 posts
258 upvotes
Oshawa
BearBraz wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 10:36 am
This TV with the "old: b7/c7" processor is amazing.
For burn in, just don't forget in static images. leave the TV in well ventilated spaces.
Use screensaver. If you forget sometimes you just turn on the tv turner on some moving images like some series, films etc for a couple of hours.

The burn in on this kind of is less than 3% of sets and depends much on usage. This is not the old plasma burn in.

Mostly the fear induced by other manufacturers that gain more still with LEDs, QLEDs etc.

Source: I'm an Electrical Engineer and owner for 2 years of the b7.
I've read a couple of posts that seemed to show that direct sunlight can cause issues with the panel.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8509 posts
973 upvotes
Only buy OLED if watching movies and HD content. Watching sports, new channels, financial news, pause during gaming will kill it. Too much limitation if you ask me.

Will settle for 900f over OLED.

Not to mention microLEDs are on the way. So we will need to see where this take us.
May 22, 2015
206 posts
79 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
spike1128 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 10:51 am
Only buy OLED if watching movies and HD content. Watching sports, new channels, financial news, pause during gaming will kill it. Too much limitation if you ask me.

Will settle for 900f over OLED.

Not to mention microLEDs are on the way. So we will need to see where this take us.
Yep I just bought the 65" x900f off Amazon warehouse for $1550. It'll probably be $1600 for black Friday but I don't have a tv since I sold mine already.

I just feel like even with how great the oled will be. I'll be more impressed with the 10" in size than the straight exchange across from one 55" to another 55".

Plus the android tv sold me. Not having to have another android box is a plus
Jan 12, 2017
361 posts
118 upvotes
Should be noted that LCD displays are not immune to burn-in, it happened to me. I used the TV as a monitor and TV (Viewsonic) pretty heavily, found RedFlagsDeals banner showing up long after I moved to new web sites and it started to be persistent, then the edges started to dim and yellow and then black lines; Costco was quite forgiving.

Don't expect 20 years out of this technology, shop warranty first.
Feb 5, 2013
119 posts
46 upvotes
dieselboy27 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 10:48 am
I've read a couple of posts that seemed to show that direct sunlight can cause issues with the panel.
If the panel heats unevenly you can have issues .
95% of normal people won't have problems.

Again, not buying OLED because of burn in is fear induced. Lots of factors cause burn in. I have been watching sports, gaming with huds, watching CNN like channels. 0 issues.

I've even forgot some static images... The thing is, if you use the built in apps for Netflix (Dolby Vision on a OLED - OMG you must see this). Amazon prime and Youtube they quickly turn the 'fireworks' screensaver.
Since I use my xbox for lots of media or browsing, I use an app for screenshot images. I've forgoten it static sometimes... just turn on some live channel and its ok.

Normal usage for this TV should last 10 years no problem. Whomever says differently either doesn't know what they're talking about or is a LED enthusiast for some reason or the other.

Don't waste money on regular LED, specially QLED monstrosities.

If you have a bargain for a Sony LED, or a Visio (P-Series) to save some money, check rtings.com and be happy.

For most livingrooms 55" is enough, go for 65" if you can sure.

But passing a OLED because of irrational fears... if you fear so much just buy the warranty. I didn't buy at costco, didn't buy warranty and I just take care to watch varied content, not let the pannel heat ( sun etc) and take some pauses that are good for us anywyay. And I have 0 worries.
Jan 19, 2018
398 posts
244 upvotes
dieselboy27 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 10:48 am
Yes, not only heat by the UV radiation from direct sunlight can damage the panel. Best to avoid direct sunlight exposure as much as possible.
Jan 19, 2018
398 posts
244 upvotes
LG recently started covering burn-in under warranty. So if you use a credit card with extended warranty, you'll basically have 2+ years of burn-in coverage. Costco's TV extended warranty is provided by Asurion. Their terms and agreement excludes burned-in phosphor, but OLED panels don't use phosphor like plasma. So you can argue that OLED burn-in should be covered. Best to confirm with Asurion first though.