Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

LG G8X ThinQ 128GB Smartphone - $499 (in-store)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2020 9:34 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10208 posts
11271 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote: Thanks for the info. But I am not trusting Ebay for cell phones... May be paranoid, may miss really hot deals, but that's it Winking Face
eBay has extremely good buyer protection, you really shouldn't worry at all, other than time for receipt.

Being a seller on eBay OTOH is VERY different, with basically no protections.
Dec 13, 2006
646 posts
337 upvotes
Take care with ebay one...

I'm happy with my G8 from yywireless, but you are not getting a rogers one and there is caveat on it.

Wificalling does not work
Cannot connect on 2 band simultanously
Voice over LTE is not possible... So in my are I lose internet when on the phone.

I'm ok with it... But resale value will need to take that into account..
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10208 posts
11271 upvotes
grisensko wrote: Take care with ebay one...

I'm happy with my G8 from yywireless, but you are not getting a rogers one and there is caveat on it.

Voice over LTE is not possible... So in my are I lose internet when on the phone.

I'm not sure what you mean by the B2 thing, but yes, VoLTE won't be supported. That said, you WON'T loose internet, the phone will drop to HSPA for the call yes, but you'll still have HSPA data. It's not great (ESPECIALLY on Rogers), but it's not nothing.
Dec 13, 2006
646 posts
337 upvotes
repatch wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by the B2 thing, but yes, VoLTE won't be supported. That said, you WON'T loose internet, the phone will drop to HSPA for the call yes, but you'll still have HSPA data. It's not great (ESPECIALLY on Rogers), but it's not nothing.

Not B2, 2 band simultaneously. I'm talkimg about LTE+ / LTE Advance.. Aka Carrier Aggregation.

My G8 from yywireless never worked in lte+, my previous Rogers LG v30 were working fine and my wife samsung also work...
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10208 posts
11271 upvotes
grisensko wrote: Not B2, 2 band simultaneously. I'm talkimg about LTE+ / LTE Advance.. Aka Carrier Aggregation.

My G8 from yywireless never worked in lte+, my previous Rogers LG v30 were working fine and my wife samsung also work...
How are you telling that it's not using CA? Is it the lack of an LTE+ icon?

FWIW many phones don't display that icon, even though they are connected over CA.

Case in point: my V35 doesn't have an LTE+ icon (just this weird 4GLTE icon), and does CA connections fine (I've gotten speed tests over 300Mbps, can't get that without CA with my carrier).
Mar 7, 2011
223 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
grisensko wrote: Take care with ebay one...

repatch wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by the B2 thing, but yes, VoLTE won't be supported. That said, you WON'T loose internet, the phone will drop to HSPA for the call yes, but you'll still have HSPA data. It's not great (ESPECIALLY on Rogers), but it's not nothing.
When you say wifi calling etc, are you saying that Fongo would not work via wifi? I think that's just data used via an app and should work, no???? I'm looking at maybe buying the LGG8 from yywirelesss in the next 3 to 5 months or so after the price drops to the $200 mark. The wife has the LGG7 and is very happy with it. LG gets no respect. Some of it was deserving but they have improved lately and never gotten any credit for it.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10208 posts
11271 upvotes
rf34as wrote: When you say wifi calling etc, are you saying that Fongo would not work via wifi? I think that's just data used via an app and should work, no???? I'm looking at maybe buying the LGG8 from yywirelesss in the next 3 to 5 months or so after the price drops to the $200 mark. The wife has the LGG7 and is very happy with it. LG gets no respect. Some of it was deserving but they have improved lately and never gotten any credit for it.
No, what you are describing are VOIP solutions. WIFI Calling (technically a VOIP tech, but different) is a carrier supplied feature that allows you to use your regular cell number over WIFI.

Basically you can think of it as your WIFI connection becoming a cell tower. Its generally more reliable than VOIP options.

The benefit is there's no 'switching' you need to do, if you are in range of WIFI your phone will use that for a phone call, otherwise it uses the cell towers.
Mar 7, 2011
223 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
repatch wrote: No, what you are describing are VOIP solutions. WIFI Calling (technically a VOIP tech, but different) is a carrier supplied feature that allows you to use your regular cell number over WIFI.

Basically you can think of it as your WIFI connection becoming a cell tower. Its generally more reliable than VOIP options.

The benefit is there's no 'switching' you need to do, if you are in range of WIFI your phone will use that for a phone call, otherwise it uses the cell towers.
Thanks for the reply. But what's the big benefit? Lower power used as you don't need to transmit to a tower and less battery usage? Most plans all have unlimited Canada wide calling now. Are their other benefits I don't know of? This is actually more of a benefit to the Carriers as it takes pressure off o their towers and uses much cheaper internet data which might not even be their network.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10208 posts
11271 upvotes
rf34as wrote: Thanks for the reply. But what's the big benefit? Lower power used as you don't need to transmit to a tower and less battery usage? Most plans all have unlimited Canada wide calling now. Are their other benefits I don't know of? This is actually more of a benefit to the Carriers as it takes pressure off o their towers and uses much cheaper internet data which might not even be their network.
The benefit for most people is having signal where they wouldn't reliably have signal. It's a huge benefit for some on FM since their signal isn't always the greatest. That said, it can benefit anyone.

I'm fortunate in that I live close to a cell site, so even in my basement I get great signal, but in my prior house I'd have trouble in the basement.

Another place is in the Toronto Subway, I don't have FM as my primary carrier so WIFI calling was useful since they do offer WIFI in some stations.

Even was able to use WIFI calling using the WIFI on a plane somewhere over the Atlantic a couple years ago.

As for 'taking pressure off of towers', that helps everyone, so that's a sum good thing too.
Dec 13, 2006
646 posts
337 upvotes
rf34as wrote: Thanks for the reply. But what's the big benefit? Lower power used as you don't need to transmit to a tower and less battery usage? Most plans all have unlimited Canada wide calling now. Are their other benefits I don't know of? This is actually more of a benefit to the Carriers as it takes pressure off o their towers and uses much cheaper internet data which might not even be their network.
Like repatch replyed.

In my basement I get bat signal. With Wifi calling you can rely on your wifi and move outdoor without interuption.
It's all theory however, I would not base my decision on that. I had wifi calling turned off on my previous phone because It was not working great... so can't complain about really missing this feature.
Mar 7, 2011
223 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
repatch wrote: The benefit for most people is having signal where they wouldn't reliably have signal. It's a huge benefit for some on FM since their signal isn't always the greatest. That said, it can benefit anyone.

I'm fortunate in that I live close to a cell site, so even in my basement I get great signal, but in my prior house I'd have trouble in the basement.

Another place is in the Toronto Subway, I don't have FM as my primary carrier so WIFI calling was useful since they do offer WIFI in some stations.

Even was able to use WIFI calling using the WIFI on a plane somewhere over the Atlantic a couple years ago.

As for 'taking pressure off of towers', that helps everyone, so that's a sum good thing too.
That's a good point. I never had freedom mobile so never had an issue with a poor signal, not anywhere in the city. But I can see where some might, especially if you are further out in the fringes of the city.

I'm still amazed that they still don't have cell service in our subways... I mean I remember having that in other countries 15 years ago... In Canada we are still "working on it" ... will be ready in 2035 LOL
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10208 posts
11271 upvotes
rf34as wrote: That's a good point. I never had freedom mobile so never had an issue with a poor signal, not anywhere in the city. But I can see where some might, especially if you are further out in the fringes of the city.

I'm still amazed that they still don't have cell service in our subways... I mean I remember having that in other countries 15 years ago... In Canada we are still "working on it" ... will be ready in 2035 LOL
It's completely political. The TTC is an ancient organization with insane levels of control fetish. It's all on them.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
grisensko wrote: Like repatch replyed.

In my basement I get bat signal. With Wifi calling you can rely on your wifi and move outdoor without interuption.
It's all theory however, I would not base my decision on that. I had wifi calling turned off on my previous phone because It was not working great... so can't complain about really missing this feature.
Woooooaaaaa! You have a bat cave? You drive a bat car? ??

Ok, sorry, that was an easy one ;)
Mar 20, 2019
207 posts
213 upvotes
Where are y'all getting the dual screen case from? I contacted LG, they said I have to get it from USA.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4598 posts
1658 upvotes
Brampton
IstiakK83692 wrote: Where are y'all getting the dual screen case from? I contacted LG, they said I have to get it from USA.
From what Ive seen that is correct. Right now I only see it from US ebay sellers, and not cheap. Also it seems to be app dependent.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Just curious...why is this thread in Expired Hot Deals? Confused Face
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
Rogido wrote: Just curious...why is this thread in Expired Hot Deals? Confused Face
some mods are fast on the trigger... maybe a member reported it, should be put back in hot deals forum IMHO, still available in store and online for $10 more

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)