Expired Hot Deals

Costco

LG OLED 65" A1 $1,589.99 (Costco in-store)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2022 11:34 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1917 posts
1656 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: LOL what? Not everyone is the same age or at the same position/point in life as you.

I mean sure I don't have any time for videogames myself either but that doesn't mean I somehow presume everyone else doesn't either.
Most people who say this just waste time somewhere else, like on online forums.
Jan 2, 2022
19 posts
51 upvotes
Ontario
ths333 wrote: Just picked one up from the Overlea Costco. There were about 3 left. Thanks OP!
Let me know if you notice a big difference with this one compared to the C1! I too just purchased the C1, and would love to hear how this A1 compares. I too may return my C1 for the $700 savings.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1917 posts
1656 upvotes
speartongue wrote: most of you know about rtings, but for the sake of backing my opinion/comment, here is a comparison done by them of the A1 and C1
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... #main-diff

you can clearly see the C1 is more than just 120hz for its general superiority of a tv set, but what i'd like to bring your attention to is the App Smoothness category that you can find if you scroll down all the way to Apps and Features section, its the 2nd line of that category. Average

why im telling you this, is that most people wont really see the difference in picture and color gradients, depth and volume, as well as the general audio quality of a TV, unless they did something like Sony did with the A8H where they used the glass as a way to amplify the sound.

but what people WILL inevitably notice, is when a TV is unreactive or laggy.

I just returned an LG C1 today, and own multiple Sony TVs running Google/Android TV, and what made me return the C1 was that it took forever to change the brightness on it... while on my android TVs its less than 2. Picture was great, sound was good, remote was more than fine, but the UI's reactivity/sluggishness was not just annoying, it was irritating.

If you use the comparator and put any android TV and you generally get "very smooth" in that App Smoothness and 2s to change backlight, vs 6-7 for an LG.

Wish I knew that before buying, so might or might not apply to you, hopefully this helps.
Some companies focus almost solely on what rtings test for (tcl, hisense), other companies actually focus on a good customer experience. It reminds me of when amd could make their video cards seem better value than nvidia, but anyone that used both cards could tell nvidia felt much smoother. Turns out nvidia had great frame times and AMD had terrible ones, something reviewers didnt point out or even understand until nvidia showed them what it was.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2001
3070 posts
1181 upvotes
Toronto
hchai wrote: One thing money can't buy is time though.
Challenge accepted.

I used money to buy a watch.
RFD OG 20+ years
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2867 posts
1966 upvotes
dieslow wrote: He never said that he was spending his whole life playing games ! Playing 30 minutes per week is still playing games ... occasionnally ! But I get your point ... getting older we have more money to spend on things we wanted when we were young but no time to use them ! Such is life I guess.
I have a gaming rig, ps5, and a switch oled. I only get to play the switch because it's a handheld I can play in bed for 20 minutes. That's life with 3 kids and a career. Oh well.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
2952 posts
1367 upvotes
Markham
hchai wrote: People still play games nowdays? how can they have so much time to burn?
My god if I've ever seen someone living under a rock
Not buying something on sale ISN'T a crime, buying something not on sale IS.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2011
1617 posts
902 upvotes
SW Ontario
dieslow wrote: He never said that he was spending his whole life playing games ! Playing 30 minutes per week is still playing games ... occasionnally ! But I get your point ... getting older we have more money to spend on things we wanted when we were young but no time to use them ! Such is life I guess.
Too true. I can afford most of my "dream cars" today but where would I put my stuff and rear wheel drive sucks in the winter.
Jul 18, 2015
193 posts
158 upvotes
Mascouche, QC
I feel you ! 4 kids and a career too so spare time is not really present in our life !!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23100 posts
28602 upvotes
randomwordcombo wrote: You have 22,000 posts on RFD friend. Don’t make it sound like you’re some enlightened being who is simply too mature for video games.

You just choose to spend your time posting on online forums instead of gaming. Nothing wrong with that but it’s definitely not something to brag about.
Buddy, we're past these conversations, soak up 100 upvotes and bask. Any substantive rebuttal will simply be deleted, par for the course.

I caution folks against the A1 as I'm no longer convinced that it directly corresponds to the B series predecessor TVs.

LG may be making a more marked shift towards a lower end OLED viewing experience by introducing the A series.

I want to like it, but OLED is already not that bright in 2022, and the dimness and relative lack of color vibrancy were disenchanting.

At $1500, it's hard to deny it's a good deal, so if you needed a bargain OLED in 2022 it's a consideration. By now though, it's most likely gone from major Southern Ontario stores outside the boonies.

If you're not in a rush, don't feel FOMO, you can do better... even if it means spending a little more.

God bless, Gentlemen.
Nov 7, 2010
129 posts
57 upvotes
Save money and buy the c1 instead. If you want to save money for a t.v there are better options out there. Don't get me wrong the A1 is a very good T.V, but there are better alternatives out there.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1663 posts
5524 upvotes
Calgary, AB
hieidarkdragon wrote: Save money and buy the c1 instead.
Not quite sure you understand how saving money works.
Oct 26, 2020
106 posts
221 upvotes
Went to costco to get the C1 but the sales advisor was genuine and told me that C1 is getting so many burn in complaints. He said go for sony X90J 4K for a longer run. So ended up getting 65 inch X90J.
Aug 31, 2018
360 posts
523 upvotes
Benetton wrote: Went to costco to get the C1 but the sales advisor was genuine and told me that C1 is getting so many burn in complaints. He said go for sony X90J 4K for a longer run. So ended up getting 65 inch X90J.
the c1 hasn't been out too long for burn in to occur, kinda sus. maybe they weren't moving a lot of x90j from their shelves
May 16, 2012
85 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver
This is a great price. Would take over x90j anyday
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4202 posts
24171 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Store specific clearance may not necessarily read 97.

OP should change/remove clearance front the title, this is just a sale price with an end date. If this was clearance it would read as .97 or .98 and no end date or a yellow highlighter across the talker tag.

Now, I have seen some stores take a .99 tag and just swapped it to a .97 only saving $0.02.

.97 can be chain wide and .98 is store specific, basically want it gone and off the floor as they need the space immediately or ASAP.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1222 posts
949 upvotes
ON
Kevcorm wrote: Some companies focus almost solely on what rtings test for (tcl, hisense), other companies actually focus on a good customer experience.

And which exactly are the features of a TV that Rtings is not checking and make for a good customer experience?
It reminds me of when amd could make their video cards seem better value than nvidia, but anyone that used both cards could tell nvidia felt much smoother. Turns out nvidia had great frame times and AMD had terrible ones, something reviewers didnt point out or even understand until nvidia showed them what it was.
So you remember July 1995 as well?
Joke aside, this post is full of factual inaccuracies, to put it mildly. Since I was reviewing computer parts (video cards including) when the first 3D ones came out, I can tell you that no one was comparing Nvidia with AMD (technically, ATI). 3Dfx was the king of 3D games at that time.
By the time Nvidia became a player, all reviewers that saw the insides of a PC (except maybe, ahem, Verge) knew how to test the most important feature of a 3D graphics card, speed.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21160 posts
4133 upvotes
YUL
hchai wrote: People still play games nowdays? how can they have so much time to burn?
I have 4 kids, a wife and a full time job and I still make time for games. There's something called "Time Management"
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1917 posts
1656 upvotes
RaidZero wrote: And which exactly are the features of a TV that Rtings is not checking and make for a good customer experience?

So you remember July 1995 as well?
Joke aside, this post is full of factual inaccuracies, to put it mildly. Since I was reviewing computer parts (video cards including) when the first 3D ones came out, I can tell you that no one was comparing Nvidia with AMD (technically, ATI). 3Dfx was the king of 3D games at that time.
By the time Nvidia became a player, all reviewers that saw the insides of a PC (except maybe, ahem, Verge) knew how to test the most important feature of a 3D graphics card, speed.
Im not sure what, but I can look at tvs they praise and see that many of them aren't that great just by watching content on them. it wasnt 1995 when nvidia brought up frametimes... they released the fcat benchmark tool in 2013. You should look into it so you know what Im talking about.

Anyway, my point was before 2013 I had no idea about frametimes, but noticed nvidia cards played games better than amd at the time (even when amd had better framerates). I had no idea why or how, but things just looked and felt better on nvidia. The same is likely for tvs. Digital foundry talks about frame times quite a bit, bad frame pacing is the reason some games feel like they are stuttering.
May 5, 2006
177 posts
231 upvotes
Ottawa
najibs wrote: I have 4 kids, a wife and a full time job and I still make time for games. There's something called "Time Management"
I have similar specs to najibs and what he means by "Time Management" = "LESS sleep....MOAR games!" Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1222 posts
949 upvotes
ON
Kevcorm wrote: Im not sure what, but I can look at tvs they praise and see that many of them aren't that great just by watching content on them.
Oh, so you base your purchase decisions on how a TV looks in the store with super saturated images? OK. Keep doing that, it's your money, but if I knew nothing about a field, I would keep quiet when people that know what they are talking about (Rtings) speak.
it wasnt 1995 when nvidia brought up frametimes... they released the fcat benchmark tool in 2013. You should look into it so you know what Im talking about.
Anyway, my point was before 2013 I had no idea about frametimes, but noticed nvidia cards played games better than amd at the time (even when amd had better framerates). I had no idea why or how, but things just looked and felt better on nvidia. The same is likely for tvs. Digital foundry talks about frame times quite a bit, bad frame pacing is the reason some games feel like they are stuttering.
Wait what? Frame time measurement was around long before Nvidia FCAT came out, see an article from 2011 https://techreport.com/review/21516/ins ... chmarking/
Yes Nvidia cards had a better frame time at that time, but to say that Nvidia taught reviewers about that is again not true.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)