• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2021 12:05 pm
[OP]
Apr 26, 2006
188 posts
120 upvotes
Oakville

[Costco] LG phone G8X $299.97

Saw this phone $299.97 in the store, grabbed one but haven't opened it yet, not sure if it's a good deal.
Thread Summary
205 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1251 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
phone and extra screen or just the phone ?
[OP]
Apr 26, 2006
188 posts
120 upvotes
Oakville
jp149 wrote: phone and extra screen or just the phone ?
Just the phone
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2017
1351 posts
2058 upvotes
LG is closing their mobile phone division end of July, so be prepared for even more lackluster support.

Carriers are having fire sales on LG phones. Good time to get them if you don't care though.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2607 posts
1449 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
redflagdealsguy wrote: After G3, they dug their own grave. I owned the G4 and G6 and I've played with most of the G devices.

There was potential, but disappointment followed.

Buy this only if you want XDA ROM support from here onwards. Not a bad option.
Most people that buy Android phones don't flash their own roms. It's really only enthusiasts that should buy this (less than 10% of Android phone owners).
I used to flash my own custom roms and kernels, but I don't have time for that anymore, and couldn't be bothered with it.
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3271 posts
782 upvotes
I never owned an LG phone but feel like unless it's free, they're a bad deal.
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9412 posts
5926 upvotes
Toronto
Would've been hot with extra screen, only so-so without. Still great phones even though LG out of the game.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19163 posts
22022 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: Most people that buy Android phones don't flash their own roms. It's really only enthusiasts that should buy this (less than 10% of Android phone owners).
I used to flash my own custom roms and kernels, but I don't have time for that anymore, and couldn't be bothered with it.
I'm in the same boat, that was an early 20s gentleman's game.

Give me a phone that works out of the box, with support, ready to go.
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
12905 posts
22807 upvotes
Wait for the $99.97 fire sale …… or Dollarama Winking Face
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2002
1019 posts
557 upvotes
Lots of people talking down on LG phones, but I've had the V20/30/40/50/G8X (G8X currently) and they're all good phones. No major problems except slow software updates. For most people, it's hardly a big deal. If you're not installing pirated apps, you're unlikely to get hacked. There is no major brand that has better value after they tank in price.

LG is stepping out of mobile, but supposedly they'll support them with updates for the stated life of the device. You're only getting better "value" with a Chinese phone and that's fine too.

*Edit* Since I've got some upvotes, people are reading.. so I have to say the G8X fingerprint reader is TRASH. All the V models used backside scanners which were all perfect, but G8x misreads 25-50% of the time. It's still ok for brand new @ $300, but it may drive some people crazy.
Last edited by strife on Jun 11th, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2001
3121 posts
740 upvotes
Nice hardware, but maybe wait for $199.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2810 posts
905 upvotes
Yeah, but LG notoriously locks the bootloader, for some devices ONLY in Canada so unless they've made a pledge to let the enthusiast community "have at it" and unlock ALL the bootloaders, I'm happy for LG to be stuck with unsaleable merchandise. You could get one for your kids don't put a SIM in it, don't let it go on WIFI they can play games on it and when they drop it in the toilet, no big loss :-D.

but yeah, LG devices were pretty good, sad they couldn't run their business better including not being d*cks to their customers (the bootloader thing, above)
na na na na na na na na na NA.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2002
1019 posts
557 upvotes
lorax1284 wrote: Yeah, but LG notoriously locks the bootloader, for some devices ONLY in Canada so unless they've made a pledge to let the enthusiast community "have at it" and unlock ALL the bootloaders, I'm happy for LG to be stuck with unsaleable merchandise. You could get one for your kids don't put a SIM in it, don't let it go on WIFI they can play games on it and when they drop it in the toilet, no big loss :-D.

but yeah, LG devices were pretty good, sad they couldn't run their business better including not being d*cks to their customers (the bootloader thing, above)
As far as I know, Samsung doesn't officially let you unlock their SD phones either. The exynos are all easily unlockable. A guy on the V50/G8x group on telegram can unlock your g8x BL for $5 usd.
Oct 16, 2009
61 posts
8 upvotes
IFU wrote: Saw this phone $299.97 in the store, grabbed one but haven't opened it yet, not sure if it's a good deal.
I own this phone, and don't regret the purchase. Been with LG since G3. For me, the camera is usually the worst thing about LG phones but the one on the G8X ain't bad. My only caveat really, is that it was hard to find a phone case that I liked (cause I'm picky). Was very sorry to hear when LG announced they were exiting the business, but wasn't surprised since they were having their asses kicked in the market for years. Currently waiting for a "fire sale" for the double-screen for this phone.
Dec 20, 2014
52 posts
84 upvotes
Winnipeg
dvdvideo wrote: Nice hardware, but maybe wait for $199.
That's what I'm waiting for, to use as a portable music player. Expandable memory, headphone jack, and pretty much the best DAC you can get in a mobile phone.

Thread Information

There are currently 16 users viewing this thread. (7 members and 9 guests)

bitfool, yyzlimelight, Sanctumus, DragonGuardian, RED_RONIN, chovan, NightRain