• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2021 6:36 pm
38 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2051 posts
5170 upvotes
Vancouver
These seem to be getting popular. Has anybody who has purchased one ever actually used it even once??
Dec 25, 2006
234 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
coolwasabi wrote: These seem to be getting popular. Has anybody who has purchased one ever actually used it even once??
There are lots of stories of this product saving lives in real situations. It's existed for at least a decade, so not a new product.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/advent ... lifestraw/

During 'black friday' you can often get one on Amazon for $20, but if you need more than 1 then the costco deal is great.
May 31, 2016
587 posts
586 upvotes
I use the "go" versions which have a nalgene like bottle for camping/hiking/kayaking & the family for base camp. I also have their kitchen filter. The regular one isn't really worth it when the ones with built in bottles/adapters to fit on existing bottles exist.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
24392 posts
33422 upvotes
Toronto
Can I drink from Lake Ontario and the Don River with one of these and not get violently ill? If so then it sounds good.
I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.
Jan 25, 2020
172 posts
949 upvotes
sprung wrote: Can I drink from Lake Ontario and the Don River with one of these and not get violently ill? If so then it sounds good.
Relax, there are limits to what science can do.

*On a real note, you probably can.
Apr 20, 2017
273 posts
380 upvotes
Montreal
Good find, but I’m waiting for the LifeStraw Flex to go on sale. You can use that with regular water bottles, makes more sense to me.
most things haven't worked out
May 9, 2017
61 posts
62 upvotes
Can confirm I used this product once in ~6 years. But it does support children, so bonus points for buying. I guess these would make ok stocking stuffers or something.

There are better options for water filtration such as a gravity filter or Sawyer or the other lifestraw that sits within a water bottle.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2582 posts
2721 upvotes
sprung wrote: Can I drink from Lake Ontario and the Don River with one of these and not get violently ill? If so then it sounds good.
These devices will only filter out "bacteria" and "parasites", which are relatively larger in size.
Any water-borne virus will pass through (although subsequent treatment with chlorine or boiling should kill/inactivate most viruses/viri).
Any dissolved chemicals will pass through (cyanide, chromium VI, soluble radioactive isotopes, etc.), and chlorine treatment or boiling will not do anything to remove these.

In conclusion: these are good for filtering water which, aside from unsafe levels of "bacteria" and "parasites", would otherwise be safe to drink in the first place.
Last edited by ahoroba on Aug 7th, 2021 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5315 posts
4005 upvotes
im still confused why you would use this. Are you thinking you might be stranded and lost at one of our national parks and dying of thirst and you might need this?
Dec 15, 2017
834 posts
938 upvotes
evilYoda wrote: im still confused why you would use this. Are you thinking you might be stranded and lost at one of our national parks and dying of thirst and you might need this?
same reason why certain people need to buy a subaru and put a huge basket on the roof I guess.
Sep 21, 2019
513 posts
1124 upvotes
evilYoda wrote: im still confused why you would use this. Are you thinking you might be stranded and lost at one of our national parks and dying of thirst and you might need this?
I personally use a Sawyer squeeze but yes that is a legitimate reason. Theyre great for a weekend backpacking trip so youre not carrying 10+ liters of water. Even for day hikes in hot conditions its easier to bring a smaller 1.5-2L container and refill midhike if you know you will have a reliable water source
Nov 7, 2018
248 posts
573 upvotes
Ottawa
Platypus mircofilter is King for these types of water filtration in the outback/ wild.

Their ability to connect to popular water bottles makes them the ideal choice
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5315 posts
4005 upvotes
Does the straw have an expiry date on it. I see digg advertising this as a sponsor for the past year
Nov 15, 2014
35 posts
43 upvotes
BrocIlSerbatoio wrote: Platypus mircofilter is King for these types of water filtration in the outback/ wild.

Their ability to connect to popular water bottles makes them the ideal choice
Sawyer is up there too. Lifestraw literally sucks hard, too much pressure required.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
2320 posts
2700 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ahoroba wrote: These devices will only filter out "bacteria" and "parasites", which are relatively larger in size.
Any water-borne virus will pass through (although subsequent treatment with chlorine or boiling should kill/inactivate most viruses/viri).
Any dissolved chemicals will pass through (cyanide, chromium VI, soluble radioactive isotopes, etc.), and chlorine treatment or boiling will not do anything to remove these.

In conclusion: these are good for filtering water which, aside from unsafe levels of "bacteria" and "parasites", would otherwise be safe to drink in the first place.
All I hear is you're saying I can get high for free just by swimming in Lake Ontario
Sep 9, 2016
342 posts
864 upvotes
Leask
I do a lot of fishing. It really sucks when you get stranded in the middle of a lake and have to wait for a few hours for someone to tow you back to shore and all you have is the last gulp of water in a water bottle and are surrounded by undrinkable lake water in 32 degree Celsius heat. At $10 each, if it means I can stay hydrated in the boat or in the bush or anywhere that I might unexpectedly spend more time than I plan, it's a good investment.
Oct 14, 2015
475 posts
572 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Good thread ... but know your needs !
Winking Face
I use an MSR MiniWorks expensive but ... a water filter is designed to remove waterborne protozoa and bacteria, but not viruses. A water purifier is designed to remove protozoa, bacteria and viruses, offering a higher level of defense.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7495 posts
4101 upvotes
Toronto
miningminer wrote: same reason why certain people need to buy a subaru and put a huge basket on the roof I guess.
You saw me drive by? When?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)