• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2020 3:16 pm
[OP]
May 16, 2017
96 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary, AB

[Costco] Lorex 16-channel 1080p DVR Surveillance System

Lorex 16-channel 1080p DVR Surveillance System with 2TB and 16 1080p Active Deterrence Cameras

Comes with 16 cameras.

Seems like a good deal...
24 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16347 posts
2695 upvotes
GTA
2TB is like 16 hrs of footage for 16x 1080p feeds...
Nov 21, 2007
573 posts
71 upvotes
BNC 🤦‍♂️
They still make this sxxx?!?!
Nov 28, 2013
31 posts
25 upvotes
SHERBROOKE
actng wrote: 2TB is like 16 hrs of footage for 16x 1080p feeds...
I have a 8x 4k@30fps system from them, and suprisingly the 2TB seems to hold about a week of continuous footage.
I was sure I would require a bigger disk, and looked up the history... I was quite surprised.
They probably save a lot of space from efficient encoding with non-moving camera...
Jun 9, 2009
793 posts
144 upvotes
Hamilton
I am looking at getting a security system for the house Im moving into in January. It's on an acre lot and I'd like to be able to see license plates fairly clearly.

Further, the house is hardwired at the front of the house but not the sides and back. Also, I would like to record for weeks at a time and be able to see footage from work or even when on vacation.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Nov 11, 2006
767 posts
857 upvotes
Durham, Ontario
PoE or bust
[OP]
May 16, 2017
96 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Relaxe wrote: I have a 8x 4k@30fps system from them, and suprisingly the 2TB seems to hold about a week of continuous footage.
I was sure I would require a bigger disk, and looked up the history... I was quite surprised.
They probably save a lot of space from efficient encoding with non-moving camera...
Are yours POE cameras? what`s your feedback and when did you buy?
Nov 24, 2012
376 posts
203 upvotes
Saint-Laurent
It's a good deal...but 16 cameras is a waste!
Alcatraz style.

peji911 wrote: I am looking at getting a security system for the house Im moving into in January. It's on an acre lot and I'd like to be able to see license plates fairly clearly.

Further, the house is hardwired at the front of the house but not the sides and back. Also, I would like to record for weeks at a time and be able to see footage from work or even when on vacation.

Lorex is a good brand.

Keep your eyes on something like this...
https://www.costco.ca/night-owl-16-chan ... 19932.html

https://www.costco.ca/lorex-16-channel- ... 01538.html
Nov 29, 2016
55 posts
32 upvotes
peji911 wrote: I am looking at getting a security system for the house Im moving into in January. It's on an acre lot and I'd like to be able to see license plates fairly clearly.

you can see a car's license plate with 4mp/5mp 2.8mm/4mm camera from 30-40 feet away if the car is sitting still and your camera is pointing direct in front of the car.
it is a different story if the angle is more than 30 degrees or the car is moving.
try to get 4k IP camera if you have the budget.
A 4tb hard drive would get you about a month of recording if it's a 4 cameras system with record on motion.
Jan 21, 2015
98 posts
62 upvotes
YQR
Does anyone have PoE cams integrated with Home Assistant? I need to find some cams that do that well.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2288 posts
1361 upvotes
Vancouveresque
microsoldier54 wrote: Does anyone have PoE cams integrated with Home Assistant? I need to find some cams that do that well.
Might be worth asking in the Home Assistant discord server, but a quick search suggests that basically anything that will do RTSP or ONVIF works well (so not a direct integration with Home Assistant so much as something that will work via a URL). Lots of mentions of AliExpress specials and the like.
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2006
1333 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto
not sure how hard / expensive would be to replace existing old cables (BNC) for cameras by POE Cat 5e cable.

could an installer attach the new cable to the old cable and pull it to replace the old cable without damaging inside house and finished basement?
Jun 17, 2016
72 posts
38 upvotes
GTA
My friend is looking for 4 camera CCTV system for his home... I know that Riolink is good. DO you guys have any good recommendation on full hd or 4k system? Preferred POE system
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4463 posts
1795 upvotes
GTA
actng wrote: 2TB is like 16 hrs of footage for 16x 1080p feeds...
That's why you record motion only, i have like 2-3 months of footage with four 1440p cameras on a 2tb drive.
Feb 23, 2013
293 posts
164 upvotes
https://www.costco.ca/lorex-8-channel-4 ... 33561.html

This one's a way better deal. 8 channel so you can add more cameras and it's POE. If you want a plate reader camera, a PTZ or something with a Starlight CCD, this would be a good entry level system.

I'm debating one of these 4 camera POE systems that are a bit upgradeable, or a 6 camera if one of them go on sale from Lorex, or just waiting a bit. Starlight CCD seems to be getting cheaper - the new Wyzecam V3 has incorporated them, and they're selling for $30, so there's no reason the next generation of entry-level systems wouldn't have them as standard. Really, even the cheapest surveillance camera systems get great footage during the day, but it's the night time footage and capability that really differentiates them.
Sep 1, 2016
85 posts
80 upvotes
nomorepenniestopinch wrote: https://www.costco.ca/lorex-8-channel-4 ... 33561.html

This one's a way better deal. 8 channel so you can add more cameras and it's POE. If you want a plate reader camera, a PTZ or something with a Starlight CCD, this would be a good entry level system.

I'm debating one of these 4 camera POE systems that are a bit upgradeable, or a 6 camera if one of them go on sale from Lorex, or just waiting a bit. Starlight CCD seems to be getting cheaper - the new Wyzecam V3 has incorporated them, and they're selling for $30, so there's no reason the next generation of entry-level systems wouldn't have them as standard. Really, even the cheapest surveillance camera systems get great footage during the day, but it's the night time footage and capability that really differentiates them.
https://www.costco.ca/lorex-4k-ultra-hd ... 94348.html

How is this one? It is BNC but I read online that there are "optimized" BNC cables that offer higher data transfer rates. Not sure what this one comes with though.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2016
1555 posts
1367 upvotes
My uncle: Honestly what's the point of security cameras? If someone is going to break into your house/home, 99.99% of the time they would have a mask and glove. And even if the police catches them in 2-3 days, all your stuff are already all sold. And even if convicted, that person goes to jail for 2 months, and then can come out and rob again.

Thoughts?
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Nov 28, 2013
31 posts
25 upvotes
SHERBROOKE
CCHIPSS wrote: My uncle: Honestly what's the point of security cameras? If someone is going to break into your house/home, 99.99% of the time they would have a mask and glove. And even if the police catches them in 2-3 days, all your stuff are already all sold. And even if convicted, that person goes to jail for 2 months, and then can come out and rob again.

Thoughts?
I do go with your uncle on the justice thing. Sending people to jail does not prevent the burglary, damage is already done at this point.

3 things:
- Paperwork. You can actually PROVE that said burglar came. You have clear pictures of the guy stealing your front door package at 2:13pm. No officer or Amazon will suspect a fraud from your side.
- Deterrence. Astute robber will see the cameras (plural) dangling from the corniche, they will move to a lower hanging fruit. Also, they have those "motion activated LED", a nice reminder to them.
- Cats. My main purpose is to document the cats going around my yard. I looooove them cats! I want to know more about their habits and stuff. Racoons too!

But yeah, they are not adding anything to your existant safety that a "protected by [alarm company] with camera" sticker won't do.
Nov 28, 2013
31 posts
25 upvotes
SHERBROOKE
777canadian wrote: Are yours POE cameras? what`s your feedback and when did you buy?
Bought my kit for 2k$ last year on BlackFriday.
https://www.lorextechnology.com/4k-ip-c ... IP168i-1-p
This is for my workplace. 8 cameras allow you to have 2 per corner of a square building, so always have one camera filming the other (preventing a ladder equiped thief to just knock them down).
I have basically plugged and forgot them.
The software is pretty "simple", but it's what you need for 99% of installations.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16347 posts
2695 upvotes
GTA
CCHIPSS wrote: My uncle: Honestly what's the point of security cameras? If someone is going to break into your house/home, 99.99% of the time they would have a mask and glove. And even if the police catches them in 2-3 days, all your stuff are already all sold. And even if convicted, that person goes to jail for 2 months, and then can come out and rob again.

Thoughts?
well by the same token you're gonna die eventually so why not die today? YOLO!!!