[Costco] Lorex 8-channel HD 1080p Network Surveillance System $699.99

Deal Link:
Price:
$700
Savings:
$300
Expiry:
June 26, 2016
Costco reduces $300 on Lorex 8-channel HD 1080p Network Surveillance System with 2 TB Hard Drive and 4 HD 3MP Bullet Cameras
Listing price was $999.99, now for $699.99

The system included:

HD NVR with Security-Grade 2TB HDD (LNR1182)
4 3MP HD Indoor/Outdoor Cameras (LNB3163)
4 60ft (18m) UL-Compliant CAT5e Extension Cables
HDMI Cable
Ethernet Cable
Power Adapter (for NVR)
Mouse
Quick Setup Guides
30 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
2693 posts
1364 upvotes
Surrey
It is ok deal. U.S. Costco had similar setup with 6 3mp cameras and 8 port dvr for 499.99
I really don't like their app and support.
Nov 30, 2011
671 posts
147 upvotes
EDMONTON
Which would you pick , this Lorex set or the 3mp Swann set from Costco?
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1112 posts
603 upvotes
I just need this Cameras sets. But it is legal for installation at home?
My neighbor can call the police since I set this up?
Feb 28, 2007
29 posts
14 upvotes
Unless you live in an area with really restrictive/weird laws, generally as long as they aren't recording somewhere which has an "expectation of privacy" (ie, using a telescoped lens into your neighbours bedroom window), there is no restriction on camera's. Anywhere that the general public can normally see, whether it's from the street, your yard, or your home window, you can normally record.

For example, my neighbour was asked by the Toronto Police to relocate a camera they had pointing directly into my young daughter's bedroom. They then called the police because I have a camera pointing down our side-by-side driveways, and they were told it was perfectly legal. The neighbour then moved the camera back to my daughter's window, but that's a much longer story that involves me spending the past few weeks packing up a 4bdr home...

I'll also note that I have the 4cam/8channel Lorex 1080p PoE setup from Costco, using the Swann 2pk camera add-on as well (which works with a bit of finagling), and I'm very happy with it. The browser plugin for in-house browser viewing is an incredible pain to get to work (and I'm an IT guy), but the phone app is great; went right through my Sonicwall firewall/network security device like it was swiss cheese, no configuration needed.
Dec 17, 2014
240 posts
123 upvotes
That seems pretty good, especially for a PoE NVR. I managed to put together a 3mp, Hikvision setup from stuff on Aliexpress (3 cameras, PoE NVR) and a 2TB WD Purple HDD sourced from CanadaComputers that came to about $550 total. Of course that took 3 weeks to arrive, and like usual, the contents value was understated so no tax or duty on those components. There was a little pain setting it up, but it works like zaltecs' setup with good remote app and Firefox support.

Basically add another $100 for the 4th camera, and $50 for a warranty, support and faster shipping from Costco and this is a good deal.
Sep 6, 2011
263 posts
28 upvotes
Oakville
do all the cameras have to be hard wired to the station?
it'll look ugly for so many wires running though the whole house, no?
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
2904 posts
1405 upvotes
zaltec wrote: Unless you live in an area with really restrictive/weird laws, generally as long as they aren't recording somewhere which has an "expectation of privacy" (ie, using a telescoped lens into your neighbours bedroom window), there is no restriction on camera's. Anywhere that the general public can normally see, whether it's from the street, your yard, or your home window, you can normally record.

For example, my neighbour was asked by the Toronto Police to relocate a camera they had pointing directly into my young daughter's bedroom. They then called the police because I have a camera pointing down our side-by-side driveways, and they were told it was perfectly legal. The neighbour then moved the camera back to my daughter's window, but that's a much longer story that involves me spending the past few weeks packing up a 4bdr home...

I'll also note that I have the 4cam/8channel Lorex 1080p PoE setup from Costco, using the Swann 2pk camera add-on as well (which works with a bit of finagling), and I'm very happy with it. The browser plugin for in-house browser viewing is an incredible pain to get to work (and I'm an IT guy), but the phone app is great; went right through my Sonicwall firewall/network security device like it was swiss cheese, no configuration needed.
How does the LOREX compare to the Swann? I had the Swann PoE set and as soon as temps went below 0C it acted up. I am in Northern Ontario and this would be a major plus to have if it worked in Sub-zero temps.

Already have all the Cat5e ran to the locations...just need cameras now.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8071 posts
1747 upvotes
kanewtz wrote: How does the LOREX compare to the Swann? I had the Swann PoE set and as soon as temps went below 0C it acted up. I am in Northern Ontario and this would be a major plus to have if it worked in Sub-zero temps.

Already have all the Cat5e ran to the locations...just need cameras now.
According to his capture, it appears it's a Hikvision rebrand. If it is, it can go -20 without any issues. I have a hikvision setup. My guess OP is using Swann for that specific capture.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2002
4783 posts
2041 upvotes
Ethanz wrote: do all the cameras have to be hard wired to the station?
it'll look ugly for so many wires running though the whole house, no?
They only need to be hardwired if you want to see anything from them. You may want to look at much more expensive wireless setups.
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10903 posts
2037 upvotes
OilersDude wrote: Which would you pick , this Lorex set or the 3mp Swann set from Costco?
Lorex is FLIR, Swann is Hikvision, both are locked down to their own over-priced cameras.
Jan 22, 2013
37 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
zaltec wrote: For example, my neighbour was asked by the Toronto Police to relocate a camera they had pointing directly into my young daughter's bedroom. They then called the police because I have a camera pointing down our side-by-side driveways, and they were told it was perfectly legal. The neighbour then moved the camera back to my daughter's window, but that's a much longer story that involves me spending the past few weeks packing up a 4bdr home...
I want the long story, sounds brutal...
Burp Fart - a discreet noise tailored to lighten the mood at funerals, graduations and weddings
Apr 25, 2006
295 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
US costco has exact same set for $499, and thats what i bought and install , later costco.ca bring this for $700,

after tax and conversion it comes same , what you are pointing is DVR system - which is analog, so cannot compare it with POE 1080P digital - just saying : )
paaji wrote: It is ok deal. U.S. Costco had similar setup with 6 3mp cameras and 8 port dvr for 499.99
I really don't like their app and support.
Apr 25, 2006
295 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
i posted same deal a week before :)

lorex-8-channel-hd-1080p-poe-2-tb-hard- ... s-2001193/
earthpetal wrote: Costco reduces $300 on Lorex 8-channel HD 1080p Network Surveillance System with 2 TB Hard Drive and 4 HD 3MP Bullet Cameras
Listing price was $999.99, now for $699.99

The system included:

HD NVR with Security-Grade 2TB HDD (LNR1182)
4 3MP HD Indoor/Outdoor Cameras (LNB3163)
4 60ft (18m) UL-Compliant CAT5e Extension Cables
HDMI Cable
Ethernet Cable
Power Adapter (for NVR)
Mouse
Quick Setup Guides
Feb 28, 2007
29 posts
14 upvotes
They are hard-wired, but with the PoE (Power over Ethernet), they only require a single (cat5/6) cable that provides both data signal and power. If you run them properly the cables can be hidden, or at least neatly arranged with minimal effort. The problem with WiFi camera's (aside from WiFi inherent issues like signal drop/chop, data throughput, etc), is that they require a power outlet; I'm not sure about your specific setup, but for my outdoor areas at least, it's easier to run a cat5 cable than it is to run a very long extension cord or locate cameras near external outlets.

For the Swann 2pk from Costco, yeah, they are the standard Hikvision rebadges; originally ran the 2 of them through a BlueIris server, but it was a killer CPU hog (even on a dedicated Xeon quadcore rackmount server), so I bit the bullet and got the Lorex package. No issues at all through our Toronto winters, they were even completely unprotected against the elements, sitting right in the open without even a roof ledge above. It's been awhile since I set up the Lorex+Swann, but I believe I had to run the Swann's through my personal PoE switch, then add them by IP in the Lorex interface. Working just fine with that setup.

As for the neighbours, long story "short" (sorry mods, mostly O/T but it's the reason I bought the camera setup!);
Neighbours (late-middle-aged couple, no kids) move in, put up multi-camera system, build 8' fence down middle of driveway, put up flood lights/motion detectors, etc. Neighbours start shooting our car/downstairs tenant's car with BB gun (dented panels, broken windshield+side windows, etc.. not minor stuff). Police are called, neighbour claims someone is shooting his car too, points out obvious road-rash on hood to police, police tell me to get camera's. Neighbour starts shooting from area's not covered by cameras, more cameras added. Neighbour starts slashing tire rim on car which isn't covered by fence length. More camera's added to see down length of driveway. Neighbour starts shooting from inside their car while driving up/down driveway; no matter how good camera's are, they can't see everything, but more camera's and lighting added. Most recently, after a quiet year (they destroyed every window on their side of car overnight before Easter Sunday, ruined our weekend plans to visit grandmother, wife/daughter in tears in driveway, multiple police response, etc; they've been quiet for the year since), they've taken to throwing paint-stripper (or some other sort of sticky acid liquid) over the fence onto the cars, wrecking the paint and eating into the metal/plastic. Insurance company won't insure me due to multiple vandalism reports at this residence, now moving this coming weekend. Oh, and they had the balls to buy a brand new Mercedes SUV while they're doing this crap to our cars, and claim theirs are getting vandalized nightly too (which they imagine I am doing, with all their cameras and their fence); but as they said repeatedly, "this is Canada, this just happens. People just walk up your driveway and shoot your cars for no reason".

Police are 100% on our side, they have warned the neighbours, most recently outright threatened them, tried to get their camera footage (depending on their story at any given time, the camera's are "fake", have "red stickers" (because I can see the LEDs at night), don't record, don't have power, etc), offered neighbour counselling, and so on... I've never retaliated, mostly because they seem mentally unstable and keep escalating things, and I don't know how they'd react (I have kids) if anything actually *did* happen to their property; they're violent enough with their imagined slights. Police can't do anything unless they're caught red-handed on camera, and even then I was told something as simple as an "oops, I slipped and my paint stripper accidentally flew onto your car" is enough to get them off charges. So now we're moving, with all the joys/costs that moving a family of 4 entails, including two young school-age kids. Goddamned neighbours.
(/end rant)
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
1356 posts
927 upvotes
I don't know about them but it feels like a really mature response by you in this entire episode. Hats off for keeping your head level.

It kind of makes me appreciate my neighbors. Neighbors on either side would even help with snow shoveling or lawn mowing when we forgot (no, we are not lazy, happened once or twice in past half a decade). They also advised us on certain things to take care of when we first moved in.
Oct 2, 2007
750 posts
265 upvotes
Montreal
zaltec wrote: They are hard-wired, but with the PoE (Power over Ethernet), they only require a single (cat5/6) cable that provides both data signal and power. If you run them properly the cables can be hidden, or at least neatly arranged with minimal effort. The problem with WiFi camera's (aside from WiFi inherent issues like signal drop/chop, data throughput, etc), is that they require a power outlet; I'm not sure about your specific setup, but for my outdoor areas at least, it's easier to run a cat5 cable than it is to run a very long extension cord or locate cameras near external outlets.

For the Swann 2pk from Costco, yeah, they are the standard Hikvision rebadges; originally ran the 2 of them through a BlueIris server, but it was a killer CPU hog (even on a dedicated Xeon quadcore rackmount server), so I bit the bullet and got the Lorex package. No issues at all through our Toronto winters, they were even completely unprotected against the elements, sitting right in the open without even a roof ledge above. It's been awhile since I set up the Lorex+Swann, but I believe I had to run the Swann's through my personal PoE switch, then add them by IP in the Lorex interface. Working just fine with that setup.

As for the neighbours, long story "short" (sorry mods, mostly O/T but it's the reason I bought the camera setup!);
Neighbours (late-middle-aged couple, no kids) move in, put up multi-camera system, build 8' fence down middle of driveway, put up flood lights/motion detectors, etc. Neighbours start shooting our car/downstairs tenant's car with BB gun (dented panels, broken windshield+side windows, etc.. not minor stuff). Police are called, neighbour claims someone is shooting his car too, points out obvious road-rash on hood to police, police tell me to get camera's. Neighbour starts shooting from area's not covered by cameras, more cameras added. Neighbour starts slashing tire rim on car which isn't covered by fence length. More camera's added to see down length of driveway. Neighbour starts shooting from inside their car while driving up/down driveway; no matter how good camera's are, they can't see everything, but more camera's and lighting added. Most recently, after a quiet year (they destroyed every window on their side of car overnight before Easter Sunday, ruined our weekend plans to visit grandmother, wife/daughter in tears in driveway, multiple police response, etc; they've been quiet for the year since), they've taken to throwing paint-stripper (or some other sort of sticky acid liquid) over the fence onto the cars, wrecking the paint and eating into the metal/plastic. Insurance company won't insure me due to multiple vandalism reports at this residence, now moving this coming weekend. Oh, and they had the balls to buy a brand new Mercedes SUV while they're doing this crap to our cars, and claim theirs are getting vandalized nightly too (which they imagine I am doing, with all their cameras and their fence); but as they said repeatedly, "this is Canada, this just happens. People just walk up your driveway and shoot your cars for no reason".

Police are 100% on our side, they have warned the neighbours, most recently outright threatened them, tried to get their camera footage (depending on their story at any given time, the camera's are "fake", have "red stickers" (because I can see the LEDs at night), don't record, don't have power, etc), offered neighbour counselling, and so on... I've never retaliated, mostly because they seem mentally unstable and keep escalating things, and I don't know how they'd react (I have kids) if anything actually *did* happen to their property; they're violent enough with their imagined slights. Police can't do anything unless they're caught red-handed on camera, and even then I was told something as simple as an "oops, I slipped and my paint stripper accidentally flew onto your car" is enough to get them off charges. So now we're moving, with all the joys/costs that moving a family of 4 entails, including two young school-age kids. Goddamned neighbours.
(/end rant)
Wow, what a story! :( I'm thinking of buying a house and this scares me a little as with my luck, such a scenario could definitely happen to me.

You seem to have handled this like real adult. Even though it's a lot of pain/money to get packing & moving, this may be better in the end than escalating it with these nut cases for months and years to come. I don't envy the people who purchased your home though. ;) They'll have an awesome time dealing with them! Out of curiosity, how were you able to sell with those issues?
Sep 2, 2007
731 posts
230 upvotes
alexricher wrote: Wow, what a story! :( I'm thinking of buying a house and this scares me a little as with my luck, such a scenario could definitely happen to me.

You seem to have handled this like real adult. Even though it's a lot of pain/money to get packing & moving, this may be better in the end than escalating it with these nut cases for months and years to come. I don't envy the people who purchased your home though. ;) They'll have an awesome time dealing with them! Out of curiosity, how were you able to sell with those issues?
I pity the purchasers of Zaltec's home. A few years ago I read a similar story about a guy that was pulling similar stunts. He harassed the whole neighbourhood for years. I think it happened on Quebec Avenue.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
2904 posts
1405 upvotes
Does anyone know if these fall into Costco's "90 day return policy for cameras" or their general "return policy"...i'd like to buy but want to wait for the winter to see how they handle things.