Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Lorex 8 Channel POE $300 off (Costco)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2017 11:46 pm
Mar 23, 2016
821 posts
227 upvotes

[Costco] Lorex 8 Channel POE $300 off (Costco)

Not sure if this is a good deal but here it is:

$300 off

Lorex 8-channel HD 4K NVR Surveillance System with 2TB HDD and 4 HD 4MP Indoor/Outdoor Cameras
POE system

https://www.costco.ca/Lorex-8-channel-H ... 36762.html
*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
28 replies
Apr 10, 2016
105 posts
51 upvotes
I'm interested to see what you RFD'ers have to say as I'm interested in installing one and have been doing research on what to get.

I know PoE is great, but not sure about 4K/4MP as most people I talk to say 720 is better as you get more FPS... Is this true?
Jan 14, 2017
53 posts
6 upvotes
Spudsicles wrote: I'm interested to see what you RFD'ers have to say as I'm interested in installing one and have been doing research on what to get.

I know PoE is great, but not sure about 4K/4MP as most people I talk to say 720 is better as you get more FPS... Is this true?
Looks like the cameras can't record 4k but the dvr is 4k capable. Tricky marketing right there.
Nov 24, 2013
107 posts
15 upvotes
Definitely it will not record 4k because it clearly say camera is 4mp.

We can get more fps if we reduce the resolution to 1080
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham
Spudsicles wrote: I'm interested to see what you RFD'ers have to say as I'm interested in installing one and have been doing research on what to get.

Why on earth do you need very high FPS for security purposes? It's not a sports cast...

Most 4K cameras record at 15 FPS which is plenty enough. What's the point of higher FPS when the low resolution makes the video useless? 4K has nearly 10 times the resolution of a 720P camera! Just think about that for a moment. To put it in to persepective, 720P is 1mp sensor. 1080p is 2mp sensor. 4K is 8mp An iPhone 6 has a 1.2mp front facing camera and an 8mp rear facing camera. If you have had it you will know the immense picture quality difference between the two cameras. On top of that 4K cameras usually have wider apertures too.

Whoever told you to get a 720P camera over 4K just for FPS is an absolute moron.

Btw the cameras in this package are 4mp which is 2K
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1889 posts
1445 upvotes
Cannoy wrote: We can get more fps if we reduce the resolution to 1080
Just in case Usain Bolt is stealing your stuff?
Mar 23, 2016
821 posts
227 upvotes
For people planning to purchase, will you DIY install or pay someone to do it for you?
*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Apr 10, 2016
105 posts
51 upvotes
tainger2 wrote: Looks like the cameras can't record 4k but the dvr is 4k capable. Tricky marketing right there.
AH!!!... nice catch!
springdays wrote: For people planning to purchase, will you DIY install or pay someone to do it for you?
I plan to run around in my attic dragging Ethernet cable around.
X24Secret wrote: Why on earth do you need very high FPS for security purposes? It's not a sports cast...

Most 4K cameras record at 15 FPS which is plenty enough. What's the point of higher FPS when the low resolution makes the video useless? 4K has nearly 10 times the resolution of a 720P camera! Just think about that for a moment. To put it in to persepective, 720P is 1mp sensor. 1080p is 2mp sensor. 4K is 8mp An iPhone 6 has a 1.2mp front facing camera and an 8mp rear facing camera. If you have had it you will know the immense picture quality difference between the two cameras. On top of that 4K cameras usually have wider apertures too.

Whoever told you to get a 720P camera over 4K just for FPS is an absolute moron.

Btw the cameras in this package are 4mp which is 2K
This is why I like to do more research and get opinions of those who are familiar with the product. Thanks, I value your input.

Is there a brand that's better than this, or is this a good deal?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
4473 posts
3843 upvotes
Ontario
Just despise Lorex as a company. A search will tell you why...
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
4012 posts
715 upvotes
Only way I would buy Lorex is from Costco so at least you can easily return.
Aug 26, 2008
568 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto, ON
swales wrote: Only way I would buy Lorex is from Costco so at least you can easily return.
Only 90 days to return. My installer said many his clients come to him to replace Costco systems after first winter.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham
Spudsicles wrote: AH!!!... nice catch!

I plan to run around in my attic dragging Ethernet cable around.

This is why I like to do more research and get opinions of those who are familiar with the product. Thanks, I value your input.

Is there a brand that's better than this, or is this a good deal?
For DIY Lorex is ok but this package has fairly louse cameras. The 4K package linked below by another poster is much better. Those cameras are generally much more improved compared to the earlier Lorex junk.

The big problem with all of these DIY sets is reliablity and lack of support. That said a barebones 4 camera 4K system installed by a reputable dealer will set you back at least $3500-4000 so you have to decide if it's worth your while.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1794 posts
631 upvotes
Mississauga
X24Secret wrote: For DIY Lorex is ok but this package has fairly louse cameras. The 4K package linked below by another poster is much better. Those cameras are generally much more improved compared to the earlier Lorex junk.

The big problem with all of these DIY sets is reliablity and lack of support. That said a barebones 4 camera 4K system installed by a reputable dealer will set you back at least $3500-4000 so you have to decide if it's worth your while.
the hardest part of DIY is to run the wire from the camera to the PoE switch / NVR. Lorex cameras are rebranded Hikvision. my hikvision mini domes are pretty reliable so far. you don't even need a NVR. these cameras can record video/picture directly to a NAS. reliability is not really an issue. the camera can be easily swapped out. I just replaced my 1080p cams with 4MP cams with H265 encoding, the file sizes are cut by almost half!
Nov 29, 2007
503 posts
62 upvotes
swales wrote: Only way I would buy Lorex is from Costco so at least you can easily return.
Yes easy return but you will need to uninstall everything to return it
Jul 29, 2016
357 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
I use Lorex IP camera and the software is terrible, terrible!!! Have you ever seen GUI that would default to show your password and no option to mask? Make me believe their app was developed by none professional and no QA.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
Can you elborate on why the 4k package is much better? I hate Lorex but may give them one last chance as I blame their past issues from the conversion from HikVision to Flir. Thanks
X24Secret wrote: For DIY Lorex is ok but this package has fairly louse cameras. The 4K package linked below by another poster is much better. Those cameras are generally much more improved compared to the earlier Lorex junk.

Thanks, is EZVIZ a new brand? The features looks interesting but seems that it is more for home use. How's it compare to Lorex/Flir in terms of hardware quality? Do you know the field of view for EZVIZ's camera?

PS: just checked, looks like EZVIZ a new brand from HikVision for N/A consumer market.
People around you may have weaken immune system (or live with one). Wear a mask in indoor settings if you have cold symptoms.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1037 posts
480 upvotes
Please do yourselves a favor and avoid Costco for security cameras. The entire industry has moved to simple Hikvision turret cameras for the home market. They're cheap and they work better than cameras triple their price.

I bought a decent ($1000+) Qsee Costco system and returned it two years later when Qsee stopped updating the admin software and their cameras were getting hacked. Go read about the IP camera botnet if you're interested.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)