[Costco] Louisiana Grills LG900 - Pellet Smoker ["SMOKING" HOT] - $599.97

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2019 3:27 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5775 posts
713 upvotes
Ottawa
lil_dreams wrote: Hmm.. so are you saying you gotta go in-store to really know the price? Or is over the phone reliable enough?
Over the phone will work. If you called Calgary stores, it might just be they don't want to drop the price yet. I would bet they will reduce it in the coming days though.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26047 posts
11519 upvotes
robskot wrote: I'll play Devil's Advocate.
+1 to all points.
Plus the distinct lack of smoke flavor. I have to use another smoke generating system to get any smoke flavor.
A popular complaint is that it's very light.
If you don't want to deal with a traditional coal smoker, like a Backwoods Chubby, etc...then just get a cabinet that uses wood chips. Way cheaper, can use any wood you feel like, in most cases can smoke way more food at one time.
The ONLY reason I bought one was for convenience. I can set it up, set up a smoke generator, and go screw the pooch for a bunch of hours.
I don't have to really screw with adjusting temps for a long cook especially since I'm cooking remotely. It'd be easier if I was at home rather than literally in a parking lot.
I just hate seeing people so much money on these pellet gimmicks.
I'd agree except in very specific use cases.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26047 posts
11519 upvotes
TripleHelix wrote: Over the phone will work.
You may have to try a couple times though.
Sometimes they don't like giving prices over the phone. That's easily solvable by calling a different location or time though.
Oct 13, 2007
487 posts
108 upvotes
Have a kamado already. Using it going on 10 years now. Thinking this as a double option to replace propane for convenience and time over kamado. don't have a propane right now so no loss there. Just worried about winter cooking and insulation. Is this comparable with the new traeger models in this regard? This would be pretty much half the price
Dec 14, 2006
785 posts
298 upvotes
I've had 2 Traegers, and now currently a Yoder.
I doubt that I'll ever own a gas BBQ again.

There's nothing functionally better with the Yoder, although it cost a lot more. It's just heavy duty.
These things aren't rocket science, and prices will continue to drop (although tarifs and steel cost will have an impact).
I would buy this Louisiana in a heartbeat if I was in the market.
It was a good deal to begin with, and $600 is a steal relative to current market for pellet smokers.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2794 posts
1277 upvotes
West Coast
mrmark wrote: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1340477832677320/

I got my last batch from http://owps.ca/ , people in southern ontario get them from Gildale farms. There's also a Pit Boss Pellet plant ( I think that's who they make them for) near Toronto too, and a Lumberjack warehouse.
Wish there were options on the west coast. Doesn't seem to be much of a deal on pellets when shipping is factored in. Are there any group buy tabs in the group or do conversations just pop up from time to time? If so, think I should just start a thread and see if anyone out here is interested?

Thank you
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Jan 17, 2016
80 posts
40 upvotes
Kanata, ON
iddqd85 wrote: No it can't, its a smoker not a grill. Kamado style bbq beats this and a gas grill by a long shot, although takes some time to learn.
I bbq almost every day and have been using a pitboss komado and a weber kettle for about 5 years now. I gave away my $1k perfect condition napoleon gas grill because because I simply haven't turned it on in 2 years. The cost of charcoal is obviously much higher then propane, but you can't compare the flavor. Also pit boss is very efficient once you get the hang of it.

Edit* just read your wife friendly comment, and no charcoal grills aren't wife friendly :)
A pellet grill can easily replace a gas for day to day, yes it does take a bit of maintenance (clean out the grill every few weeks to once/month, depending on use). Not difficult, and less (but not impossible) flare ups.
We don't have a gas grill any more, and use our Traeger or Rectec pretty much exclusively, definitely more often than the charcoal grills.

Other than searing steaks, or cooking pizzas, there isn't anything we won't do on our pellet grills
Jan 17, 2016
80 posts
40 upvotes
Kanata, ON
Richfields wrote: Wish there were options on the west coast. Doesn't seem to be much of a deal on pellets when shipping is factored in. Are there any group buy tabs in the group or do conversations just pop up from time to time? If so, think I should just start a thread and see if anyone out here is interested?

Thank you
Don't know how close you are to the US border, but here's where we got ours. https://bbqpelletsonline.com/
We get them shipped to the border, and bring them over ourselves. I paid $12USD/bag, and once paid tax, once didn't (declared both times)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2794 posts
1277 upvotes
West Coast
mrmark wrote: Don't know how close you are to the US border, but here's where we got ours. https://bbqpelletsonline.com/
We get them shipped to the border, and bring them over ourselves. I paid $12USD/bag, and once paid tax, once didn't (declared both times)

I can get to the border, but requires a ferry each way. How many bags/pounds did you end up buying in one shipment to make it worthwhile?
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Jan 17, 2016
80 posts
40 upvotes
Kanata, ON
The group buy was 1.2T, I bought 400lbs, worked out to about $0.50/lb, I supplement that with my cheap pellets, and burn about 400-600bs/yr
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2794 posts
1277 upvotes
West Coast
mrmark wrote: The group buy was 1.2T, I bought 400lbs, worked out to about $0.50/lb, I supplement that with my cheap pellets, and burn about 400-600bs/yr

Damn, that's a hell of a group buy. Thanks for the info.
Jul 5, 2004
24690 posts
4010 upvotes
Surprised by some of the responses. Different wood flavors is hardly an issue considering that nobody can tell the difference in the wood used (with the exception of mesquite).

Yes, the smoke flavor is a bit on the light side, but it's definitely noticeable. Everyone who has ever had food I've cooked on my pellet grill has commented on the smoke smell and flavour.

It is not just a smoker. They are an oven, smoker and for those with a sliding sear plate, a very small grill as well. I regularly cook chicken on mine, which requires a higher temp. With my pitboss pellet smoker, I regularly cook things at higher temperatures with no issues. It will hit 500 and has no problem maintaining that temperature. I don't have issues regardless of the weather.

It doesn't replace a gas grill, but it can do everything a smoker and an oven can do. For my direct heat needs, I have a Kamado grill (although I use it as a smoker sometimes too.

It's not a gimmick at all, it's a great way to cook, but no, it doesn't replace a gas grill by itself.

I've had several cabinet smokers in the past and hate them. I gave my last one away when I got my pellet smoker. There's simply no comparison.
Jan 17, 2016
80 posts
40 upvotes
Kanata, ON
Shaner wrote: Surprised by some of the responses. Different wood flavors is hardly an issue considering that nobody can tell the difference in the wood used (with the exception of mesquite).

Yes, the smoke flavor is a bit on the light side, but it's definitely noticeable. Everyone who has ever had food I've cooked on my pellet grill has commented on the smoke smell and flavour.

It is not just a smoker. They are an oven, smoker and for those with a sliding sear plate, a very small grill as well. I regularly cook chicken on mine, which requires a higher temp. With my pitboss pellet smoker, I regularly cook things at higher temperatures with no issues. It will hit 500 and has no problem maintaining that temperature. I don't have issues regardless of the weather.

It doesn't replace a gas grill, but it can do everything a smoker and an oven can do. For my direct heat needs, I have a Kamado grill (although I use it as a smoker sometimes too.

It's not a gimmick at all, it's a great way to cook, but no, it doesn't replace a gas grill by itself.

I've had several cabinet smokers in the past and hate them. I gave my last one away when I got my pellet smoker. There's simply no comparison.
Mine will also go above 500, but I have charcoal cookers that will do that as well, and I use them for that purpose.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4276 posts
691 upvotes
Edmonton
No go Edmonton Sherwood Park.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1216 posts
131 upvotes
Richfields wrote: Wish there were options on the west coast. Doesn't seem to be much of a deal on pellets when shipping is factored in. Are there any group buy tabs in the group or do conversations just pop up from time to time? If so, think I should just start a thread and see if anyone out here is interested?

Thank you
I'm in Vancouver and have to cross the boarder to get pellets. Not such a deal anymore with the exchange and gas.
Got a pit boss last year on clearance but wish we got this one. These are made in China though and same with tragers.
I'm going to buy the small green mountian grill for every day use. This thing would burn too much pellets if you are cooking for 1 or 2 people. Taste way better than on my Weber q but not as good as my Weber kettle or smokey mountian

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)