Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Luminus Elite A19, A21, PAR20, PAR30, BR30, B11, GU10 LED lights significant savings - ON. only

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2017 7:39 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1285 posts
366 upvotes
Has anyone noticed these occasionally flicker every couple of minutes?

I bought a couple packs from Costco - both the A19 and B11 style bulbs and they are in separate fixtures on different circuits in the house.

I have the Phillips bulbs all throughout my house and have not had any issue with flickering - so it seems limited to the Luminus ones.
Sep 20, 2006
248 posts
80 upvotes
Fatty55 wrote:
plg_cp wrote:
Neither bulb should be used in a fully enclosed fixture, which is an important limitation I think most people may miss.
Count me among those who missed that. What is the problem with using them (4-pack) in an enclosed fixture?
I can only assume it's due to heat generation, with fully enclosed fixtures not providing much or any airflow for heat to dissipate. I'm not sure how critical it is to heed this restriction; they certainly don't highlight it, being a little note in the fine print on the side of the box.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1984 posts
466 upvotes
'sauga
Just returned a bunch of 2-pack PAR20s that I bought during the last saveONenergy sale to exchange them for the 3-packs (basement reno is a little behind schedule, ha).

Not only are the 3-packs cheaper with the $8 coupon, the new bulbs look more like 'real' glass PAR20s with a transparent face compared to the older ones with a white face around the LED opening.
Jan 8, 2005
852 posts
168 upvotes
Windsor
Unfortunately the 2-pack dimmers are gone (in Windsor) and deleted from the inventory. I had one in hand but there was no coupon. should've take it and re-buy it later with a coupon.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4240 posts
515 upvotes
Any commentary on the pot lights available for $32?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1685 posts
1309 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Updated original post with items/pics for:

$5.99 - Luminus Elite 5.5W GU10, 3000K 430 lumens dimmable (pack of 4)
$3.99 - Luminus Elite 7W PAR20, 3000K 500 lumens dimmable (pack of 3)
$5.49 - Luminus Elite 12W BR30, 3000K 850 lumens dimmable (pack of 3)
Dec 9, 2008
317 posts
113 upvotes
Ottawa
I think the 100W equivalent at $10.99 - Luminus 17W A21, 3000K 1600 lumens dimmable (pack of 3) is a good deal.

Did anyone see these 17W A21 in Ottawa? I cannot find them in neither Merivale nor Kanata location.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1435 posts
619 upvotes
Canada
fmf132 wrote: I think the 100W equivalent at $10.99 - Luminus 17W A21, 3000K 1600 lumens dimmable (pack of 3) is a good deal.

Did anyone see these 17W A21 in Ottawa? I cannot find them in neither Merivale nor Kanata location.
I saw them on the first few days but not since. Best price for the 100W eq. A21 anywhere, but this is not one of the newer Elite bulbs, most likely because of the poor CRI. I did not buy and decided to wait for a better quality bulb to become available.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2571 posts
3458 upvotes
Toronto
nellium wrote:
twopointfivebar wrote:
Slant wrote: Do they have the coupons there or do we have to download them from somewhere?
Coupons were provided by the reps at the location. There were books of coupons everywhere.
Oshawa has em too. The booklets of coupons are on the displays. That being said, Luminous is a terrible company, no customer support if a bulb dies prematurely. Looking at 30% failure rate within 3 months
I have about 60 of them. One failed after a year. Went back to costco ask them how can I get it warranty. Since I have the receipt and the box they have me money back. Lol... so go ahead and buy some Philips at HD for 10 bucks each
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7103 posts
2886 upvotes
GTA
canadiancynosure wrote: Has anyone noticed these occasionally flicker every couple of minutes?

I bought a couple packs from Costco - both the A19 and B11 style bulbs and they are in separate fixtures on different circuits in the house.

I have the Phillips bulbs all throughout my house and have not had any issue with flickering - so it seems limited to the Luminus ones.
I came here exactly with the same issue and wanted to see if anyone else has this issue... In the washroom they flicker subtly randomly.

Good to know other brands do not flicker.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
sonyminidiscman wrote:
nellium wrote:
twopointfivebar wrote:

Coupons were provided by the reps at the location. There were books of coupons everywhere.
Oshawa has em too. The booklets of coupons are on the displays. That being said, Luminous is a terrible company, no customer support if a bulb dies prematurely. Looking at 30% failure rate within 3 months
I have about 60 of them. One failed after a year. Went back to costco ask them how can I get it warranty. Since I have the receipt and the box they have me money back. Lol... so go ahead and buy some Philips at HD for 10 bucks each
Buy and save a bunch of spare extras and then as bulbs die, keep your receipt and return them for full refunds.
Feb 28, 2010
462 posts
146 upvotes
tntdeal wrote: Both answers are bogus. Haven't seen the 4-pack GU10 locally yet, but will try out when I see them.

About the A19, my local Lowe's brought out a few boxes of the older Feit bulbs the other day so I grabbed a few of them to compare with the Luminus.

-The Feit are slightly more compact. From what I can see, they're pretty close in colour temperature. The Feit has a bit more magenta hue, while the Luminus is a bit more green. Red objects look slightly better under the Luminus, but green objects clearly appear more vivid with the Luminus.

-Both light bulbs' base feel a bit hotter than warm to the touch. They actually feel exactly the same to me, none hotter than the other. This means the Luminus can be used wherever the Feit can, regardless of package labelling. However, I've read review somewhere about some Feit bulbs that can be used in enclosure that these bulbs got quite hot, while not at high risk of fire, it will certainly reduce the light's life a lot.

-There's a bad thing about the Luminus bulbs: they buzz when used with a dimmer. They buzz on all kinds of dimmers I've got including LED dimmers from Lutron and Feit. They are quietest at full power, slightly audible at 2 feet away and inaudible at 4 feet. They're loudest at about 80-85% power, slightly audible at 4 feet, and less annoying than that at minimum power. There's no flickering at all that I can see, and they make no noise with a regular switch though. In comparison, the Feit bulbs are completely quiet with any dimmers, as are the Luminus GU10 bulbs.

So for someone who is used to the CFL colour quality and doesn't need high CRI, the Feit A19 bulbs are perfect replacement and at the lowest cost seen anywhere at the moment. The deal is still on going until next week if you can find it in stock. The Luminus are at twice the price, but have higher color quality in trade off for the slight buzzing when used with dimmer switch.
so you got no buzzing with the luminus gu10 but you did with the a19? you tried lutron led dimmers on both?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1435 posts
619 upvotes
Canada
hawkridge wrote: so you got no buzzing with the luminus gu10 but you did with the a19? you tried lutron led dimmers on both?
I didn't notice buzzing with the GU10 at first, but now they do appear to buzz slightly on both kinds of dimmer. Both GU10 and A19 are quiet without flickering on non-dimmer switch.

The Feit A19 is completely quiet but I like the Luminus CRI more.
Feb 28, 2010
462 posts
146 upvotes
tntdeal wrote: I didn't notice buzzing with the GU10 at first, but now they do appear to buzz slightly on both kinds of dimmer. Both GU10 and A19 are quiet without flickering on non-dimmer switch.

The Feit A19 is completely quiet but I like the Luminus CRI more.
how bad is the buzzing? unusable?

you said flickering, you are getting flickering on the dimmer or just buzzing?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1435 posts
619 upvotes
Canada
hawkridge wrote: how bad is the buzzing? unusable?

you said flickering, you are getting flickering on the dimmer or just buzzing?
I said "without flickering" - there no flickering even on multiple bulb fixtures with dimmer. The buzzing is not bad. I keep them dimmed to about 50% most of the time and it's barely noticeable at 4-5 feet away.
Oct 25, 2017
1 posts
re B11 luminus LED filament 40W 315 lumens 2700k warm white dimmable.
DO NOT USE, DO NOT BUY
installed 5 bulbs in 1 fixture on a dimmer switch, once turned on the dimmer shorted out.
I assumed the dimmer was not compatible with LED's and replaced dimmer with a LED compatible one. This dimmer blew as well. Replaced dimmer with a regular 2 way toggle switch and this blew the breaker.
i took apart the bulbs and every one of the 6 bulbs (2 pks) screwed into the adapter were broken. Taking the bulb/adapter apart the base of the bulb was pushed up into the screw and each adapter's metal contacts were bent or broken off. When attaching the bulb to the adapter it appears that the base of the bulb catches the vertical contact and bends or breaks it causing a short destroying the bulb, the adapter, and the dimmer; if on a 2 way toggle switch the breaker trips.
Images
  • 20171026_193558.jpg
  • 20171026_193301.jpg