• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2021 7:26 pm
[OP]
Oct 25, 2005
241 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver

[Costco] Marcy Pro Smith Cage (pulley attachment) with Bench Combo - $1599.99

A bit more expensive than the $999.99 version but seems to be heavier duty and comes with a bench and pully attachment. Currently 44 units available.
Last edited by sobe on Jan 26th, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10 replies
Feb 20, 2006
311 posts
196 upvotes
This is super hot. Too bad my basement is not high enough to fit this in. Thanks OP.

Edit
This seems like a power cage/smith machine hybrid.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2012
1140 posts
880 upvotes
JACliffe wrote: What's the pulleys even for?
Cable crossovers, curls, pushdowns, lat pulldown, rows, etc.
Jan 5, 2007
240 posts
511 upvotes
North York
Smith Machines are garbage, they force what ever exercise you're doing to conform to the machine and not the bodies natural movement; unless it is a 3D Smith Machine, which this isn't, even so 3D ones aren't favorable either.
Feb 20, 2006
311 posts
196 upvotes
rflair wrote: Smith Machines are garbage, they force what ever exercise you're doing to conform to the machine and not the bodies natural movement; unless it is a 3D Smith Machine, which this isn't, even so 3D ones aren't favorable either.
i do agree your point about smith machine. This machine however do give you the option of putting another bar in the cage for your Bench press/Squat/Dead lift/Shoulder press/barbell row, and you can also do pull up, chest dip, and the exercises you can do with cables. This design seems like a full cage/smith machine hybrid.
Jan 5, 2007
240 posts
511 upvotes
North York
hchai wrote: i do agree your point about smith machine. This machine however do give you the option of putting another bar in the cage for your Bench press/Squat/Dead lift/Shoulder press/barbell row, and you can also do pull up, chest dip, and the exercises you can do with cables. This design seems like a full cage/smith machine hybrid.
I agree 100%, if this cage was even between $700 to $900 and less the Smith part it would be a fine cage, but they're doubling the price just because of it.
Find a decent cage, anywhere from $300-$900,(yes it's a wide range of dollars) and get the appropriate bar and weights, a decent set can be had for under $1000 for 300lbs of various weights, including the bar. And of course you can get much more expensive equipment and that is to your desire.

Smith machines are trash, no matter if you're a beginner, 'do you even lift bro', man or woman, don't let it be a 'feature' in your decision.
Feb 20, 2006
311 posts
196 upvotes
rflair wrote: I agree 100%, if this cage was even between $700 to $900 and less the Smith part it would be a fine cage, but they're doubling the price just because of it.
Find a decent cage, anywhere from $300-$900,(yes it's a wide range of dollars) and get the appropriate bar and weights, a decent set can be had for under $1000 for 300lbs of various weights, including the bar. And of course you can get much more expensive equipment and that is to your desire.

Smith machines are trash, no matter if you're a beginner, 'do you even lift bro', man or woman, don't let it be a 'feature' in your decision.
I personally believe there are benefits in smith machine, especially "this" machine. You can perform your free weight bench press, then jump on the smith machine and do incline bench press. On leg days, after Squat with free weight, then perform some lunges or split squats on the smith machine. I also find it better to do hip thrust, donkey kick on smith machine.
[OP]
Oct 25, 2005
241 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
I think price point plays a role and not so much it being a smith machine. The other deal I posted with a similar Marcy machine but worse quality for $999.99 (also from Costco) sold out in 10 minutes. Although there were only like 13 units available.

This unit is a fair bit more expensive, and whether or not you need the extra quality/features ($700 more) is up for debate. I think that fact that it's sold by Costco provides an extra piece of mind.

Btw, 33 units left. I think if you don't need the bench or other extras, then the Fitness Reality from Amazon would probably do just fine.
[OP]
Oct 25, 2005
241 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
19 units left. The $999.99 version is also back in stock with 12 units and comes with a butterfly arm press and pulley attachments. So honestly, that one seems to be a great deal... but this version apparently has a better pulley system:

See chart here:
https://blog.marcypro.com/2019/10/15/wh ... different/
[OP]
Oct 25, 2005
241 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
1 more unit left in case anyone is interested.

EDIT: OOS