Costco Membership Deals & other questions

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2020 9:22 pm
[OP]
Nov 24, 2017
167 posts
66 upvotes

Costco Membership Deals & other questions

Have heard that Costco sells their membership deals for about $20 once/twice yearly?

Is this true?
If so, anyone know when?

Thinking of buying a membership although not yet convinced I will use it for much other than dog related items.

If a member does a large grocery order from there, will they deliver or is it only Pick up for grocery items.

Last but not least are the deals really that great. I don't have time to go there so hope I can use it strictly as a delivery service.
6 replies
Jun 6, 2009
22 posts
25 upvotes
Never heard membership for $20.
The usual promotion is that if you refer someone they get $10 and you get $10 and max you may get $20 off but nothing more than that.

Moreover get your membership and if you feel its not worth after a month or so, they will give your money back.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21607 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
1- Membership ...

Most you’ll usually find is a referral deal (see the RFD HOT DEALS SECTION)
It’s where the NEW Member + the Referring Member both end up with something ... often a GC ($ 10 to $ 25 in value)

2- Dog Stuff

There is indeed a pet section. But like everything else @ Costco, they just carry a small range of products. In the warehouse it’s about 1/2 an aisle.
Suggest you look on Costco.ca to see what items they currently are carrying (remember @ Costco stock / suppliers can change ... so don’t think that what’s there today ... will be the same stuff 3 months from now ... or next year. It’s got to sell well to retain its “spot” on Costco’s Inventory List)

3- Groceries

Like everything else at Costco, there is select inventory. So it’s not necessarily a one stop “grocery store” alternative.
And like everything else at Costco, most things come in larger sizes. Doesn’t mean they are necessarily cheaper.
You MUST KNOW YOUR PRICES so as to figure out if it’s truly a good buy (cost by volume / unit cost)... vs just a convenience of buying in a larger quantity. There are plenty of goods at Costco that YES are cheaper by Unit Cost / volume ... and plenty that are over-priced.
(Example ... Cheapest place to buy Finish DW Tabs ... not the cheapest place to buy Bounty PTs)

Also, Groceries online service vs warehouse has differences.
First off pricing. There is a surcharge for most online purchases ... including groceries
Plus a delivery charge of $ 3 per item, if you don’t order a minimum of $ 75

Also not all grocery items are available online @ Costco.ca
ONLY NON PERISHABLES
And they are shipped to you c/o UPS
IF ... you live in a postal code that qualifies for delivery of these items.

In Canada’s largest cities ... you may find private delivery services that will shop the warehouse for you
So they will deliver anything ... including FRESH GROCERIES / PERISHABLES
But these services are often costly .. or they themselves require a Membership

Personally, during the height of Covid ... we used Costco for some NON PERISHABLE items
(including overpriced Bounty ... which was at least easier to find @ Costco than anywhere else)
But the bulk of our groceries we bought via PC+ Loblaws Group PC EXPRESS curbside pick up
Contactless service that worked great

During normal times ... we keep up our Costco Membership cuz it’s more than worthwhile
The $ 60 Membership we often make back in savings in quick order
When you look at their cost for things like Gasoline, Propane, specific grocery items, eyeglasses, Printer Ink, Vehicle Tires, etc

Joining Costco is definitely a personal choice
As is what you get out of that membership
No right or wrong
The good thing about Costco is ... you can join
And if you aren’t satisfied within the first year ...
you can quit early and get your money back
Or just not renew
[OP]
Nov 24, 2017
167 posts
66 upvotes
Good information.
Thank you.

That more or less answers my immediate questions.

Interestingly, I was purchasing Liver treats there for my dog, online, for delivery.
I believe 2 large bags were $46.

They stopped allowing non members to buy there as of about six weeks ago.
So I did purchase the same brand from Amazon but at $60 so an extra $14 but the bags were much fresher. The pieces 2-3x larger allowing them to be cut into smaller pieces without 1/5th of the bag turning to dust, as did the Costco version.

@Pointshubby - you seem to shop as I do. I think I will try it and see.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29038 posts
14586 upvotes
gettoday wrote: Moreover get your membership and if you feel its not worth after a month or so, they will give your money back.
Technically speaking, you can get a full refund at any time. 364 days in? Full refund.
You can't game the system by cancelling and then getting a new one on day 366 though since you're banned for like 18 months afterwards or something.

PointsHubby wrote: Also not all grocery items are available online @ Costco.ca
ONLY NON PERISHABLES
They do have some frozen items shipped via common carrier.

https://www.costco.ca/wild-boar-rib-ste ... 96471.html
But the bulk of our groceries we bought via PC+ Loblaws Group PC EXPRESS curbside pick up
I could never find a time slot during the pandemic.
Even if I could, my order completion rate was like 40% most times, even before the pandemic.
I don't order anything weird either.

Personally I switched to Save On Foods. Their order completion rate was 100% for the two times I've used them so far.
Plus it was free compared to Loblaws charging upwards of $5.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21607 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
@death_hawk

Costco Frozen items ... ya big honking cases of stuff
Difficult for the household customer
More designed for a commercial operation

PC+ Express ... has its quirks for sure
Fortunately it got better over time
(A) because there was a definite learning curve for the user to get the most out of the service
And
(B) Loblaws Group had to work out a lot of issues at their end ... including more time slots.

Many across Canada didn’t have a whole lot of other choices than 1 or 2 per community for affordable curbside pick ups
(PC Express ... and Walmart Click & Collect were the biggest national players ... and FREE to use )

Bigger city centres had more ... like private delivery services (such as InstaCart) ... with a service fee

And lucky people in some areas of the country ... such as yourself
Had more grocery stores in the Curbside / delivery game... like Save On Foods, Metro Inc etc
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29038 posts
14586 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: @death_hawk

Costco Frozen items ... ya big honking cases of stuff
Difficult for the household customer
More designed for a commercial operation
Well maybe not commercial since there's only like 10-20 steaks a case, but not for a single person either.
Fortunately it got better over time
I couldn't get in during the pandemic, but like a month or two before I placed an order where they only had 2 out of 15 items.
If anything I think it got worse.
(A) because there was a definite learning curve for the user to get the most out of the service
I still haven't figured it out to be honest. It's not like I order that weird of things either.
(B) Loblaws Group had to work out a lot of issues at their end ... including more time slots.
Time slots seem to have cleared up (there's slots for tomorrow whereas during the pandemic they were booking over a week out) so that's at least a plus.
But until they tie in their inventory system I'm not very likely to use much and I'm certainly not going to pay them $100/year for it.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.