• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 9:04 pm
Jul 22, 2014
355 posts
439 upvotes
Calgary, AB
mawzi wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 5:08 pm
Ridge looks bulkier actually. Why would I want something hard in my pocket, when I can have a soft leather wallet? My phone is annoying enough as is.

I always cut the middle section of a wallet, or buy one without a middle section. Bulk problem solved.
Of course it is personal preference, but I had the wallet the OP posted for a couple of years and I find the RIDGE to be far less bulky in my front pocket.

Measured my at my desk just now with a ruler and it's holding 7 cards:
Length = 85mm
Width = 54mm
Depth = 13mm
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29670 posts
4512 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ToMWork wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 4:41 pm
BTW, RFID protection in wallets is complete BS and money waste - basically 100% of readers fail if more than one payment card is in range -
so there's near to 0% chance of the fraud that these wallets are supposed to protect from.
Yup, for an RFID scanner to work, they would need to be no more than 10 cm from your card.

Total scam. But if you need a cheap wallet, go for it
hightech wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 5:10 pm
I been looking for a wallet but don't have a Costco membership. Anyone able to get one for me and I can pay them back?
I can pick one up for you. Where you located?
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12629 posts
1421 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 5:38 pm
Yup, for an RFID scanner to work, they would need to be no more than 10 cm from your card.

Total scam. But if you need a cheap wallet, go for it

I can pick one up for you. Where you located?
I believe the RFID blocks are designed so that people who are walking by with some rouge device cannot scan your card. These devices pump out signals much stronger than your typical scanners so that 10 cm limitation is not applicable. In these cases, they can scan your card from over 3 feet away.

Thanks for the offer Gee. I am in the East Scarborough/Pickering area and am not sure how that works out for you.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29670 posts
4512 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
hightech wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 6:06 pm
Thanks for the offer Gee. I am in the East Scarborough/Pickering area and am not sure how that works out for you.
I work in Markham / Richmond Hill two days a week. I'll pick up a wallet, if we don't meet up, it will be a cheap Christmas gift for 2019.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1405 posts
519 upvotes
Hamilton
Some left in Ancaster near the front tills in the pharmacy area. Bought one today.
May 30, 2015
201 posts
85 upvotes
jtcb wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 3:57 pm
Is there an item number?
It was posted in a couple of other threads.
The image below is from the posting by RFD member markopas:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco-e ... #p30388587

I bought one wallet today, from the Newmarket store. Plenty left.
The price tag at the shelf was showing about $15 (14 something), but I called before going at the store and gave them the item number for an inventory check. The lady on the phone confirmed that the price in their system was $9.97 and that they have lots of them.

Item #: 1910010

Jul 28, 2007
309 posts
361 upvotes
Calgary
blyndfyre wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 4:56 pm
Since I got the RIDGE wallet I can't go back to a bulky leather wallet.
Wanted to get a Ridge but the intrusive branding is so tacky.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2102 posts
2015 upvotes
Montreal
hightech wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 6:06 pm
I believe the RFID blocks are designed so that people who are walking by with some rouge device cannot scan your card. These devices pump out signals much stronger than your typical scanners so that 10 cm limitation is not applicable. In these cases, they can scan your card from over 3 feet away. (...)

I bet that never happens in real life. You have more chances of being mugged.
Also, aren't the banks offering protection if such a case would ever happen?
Last edited by Temporel on Jan 8th, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1405 posts
519 upvotes
Hamilton
So to be clear on how this works .... The removable part is supposed to stay in the "fold" area of the wallet?
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
5676 posts
348 upvotes
Temporel wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 7:49 pm
I bet that never happens in real life. You have more chances of being mugged.
Not true, just that you/media will likely to find out when you are getting mugged vs getting scanned and that's why you see it as "happening more".

Not knowing doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

If I were a thief, I'd prefer to do a scan than mugging someone.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2102 posts
2015 upvotes
Montreal
cy wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 7:53 pm
Not true, just that you/media will likely to find out when you are getting mugged vs getting scanned and that's why you see it as "happening more". Not knowing doesn't mean it doesn't happen. If I were a thief, I'd prefer to do a scan than mugging someone.

Then why don't you post a few references of recent "scanning" in Canada and the consequences to raise our awareness of such a frequent phenomena. :)
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
5676 posts
348 upvotes
Temporel wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 7:57 pm
Then why don't you post a few references of recent "scanning" in Canada and the consequences to raise our awareness of such a frequent phenomena. :)
As if your bank "knows" whether your card was fraud due to scanning or someone wrote down your numbers, or you told your best friend your credit card numbers..

Anyways, you think what you like :)
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2102 posts
2015 upvotes
Montreal
cy wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 8:14 pm
As if your bank "knows" whether your card was fraud due to scanning or someone wrote down your numbers, or you told your best friend your credit card numbers.. Anyways, you think what you like :)
Hey buddy, it's fraud if you say it is. If the bank sees a "scan" with the money going to an account in Nigeria, they will agree with you pretty fast that it's fraud. If it's an unauthorized transaction you can walk in any police station and report a theft.

So I guess you can't find any references of recent "scanning" in Canada and the consequences, eh? :)