Costco

Microsoft 365 Family 15-month Subscription, $99.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2022 5:45 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2015
2746 posts
1654 upvotes
brianfoo wrote: yep, but I don't use OneDrive for storage. For photos and video I bought a pixel 1 and it has unlimited backup at original quality for Google Photos.
for ~$20/yr, i rather have piece of mind using Onedrive to be able to use the file
Dec 13, 2019
35 posts
47 upvotes
brianfoo wrote: Just use your work's office 365 account - they allow 5 installs per license. Been using mine for over a year now, no problems.
Unfortunately my workplace use Google Suite, which I can't stand.

I'm not sure I'd want my family photos tied to my work account anyhow.
Jan 2, 2008
45 posts
33 upvotes
BC
Just a reminder to those with kids in school, if they have a 'microsoft login' for Teams, etc, it probably is also valid for installing Office on 5 computers. Go to office.com and log in with it and see.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
4169 posts
1038 upvotes
Markham
If you don't care about desktop apps, Office Online is actually free. However, just for the online storage alone, Office 365 is a great deal, especially if you have access to school or work HUP. The reason why you want a personal/family account is that it won't disappear when you graduate or leave your job.

Also, a reminder that buying 4 years of Personal, you can top it up with 1 year of Family to get 5 years of Family plan. 5 years is the max prepaid amount.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Mar 6, 2018
6 posts
8 upvotes
brianfoo wrote: yep, but I don't use OneDrive for storage. For photos and video I bought a pixel 1 and it has unlimited backup at original quality for Google Photos.
Pixel lineup, nice phones for sure. From what I understand Giggle stopped that unlimited storage with the pixel 6. Now they're in it for the $$ too. Users get the first 15GB photo storage for free. After that $19.99/year for an additional 100GB of storage and $99.99yr for 2TB of storage. Even as a pixel owner, at that price I'd still rather pay M$oft for the OneDrive storage/365 family 99.00 for 15 months and 6TB storage.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
22351 posts
7591 upvotes
Can't check out since I'm not a member. Might have to wait and see if the Source also knocks down the price...
Nov 30, 2015
560 posts
645 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
I bought an office 2019 (?) key from ebay nearly two years ago for $6 and have no issues. I will use outdated office software as long as I have the machine. Aside from cloud services, it's beyond me why these programs have to be subscription services now.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3908 posts
3828 upvotes
Muskoka
GroverTime wrote: I bought an office 2019 (?) key from ebay nearly two years ago for $6 and have no issues. I will use outdated office software as long as I have the machine. Aside from cloud services, it's beyond me why these programs have to be subscription services now.
If you fully max out the potential of the 365Family plan it's quite cheap

Costco deal $99 for 15months = averages out to $6.60/month

You get 6 licences and each licence can install on 5 devices or 30 in total. So $6.60 / 30 = $0.22/month or $2.64yr. This is just for the software suite, I haven't even included the 6 x 1TB of OneDrive storage.

Of course, most will not install onto 30 devices to achieve this price breakdown, but the potential is there and all legit.
Public Mobile
Dec 16, 2009
335 posts
116 upvotes
Hamilton
spots01 wrote: Also, each licence is allowed to install onto 5 separate devices (PCs, Macs, Surface). Those 5 devices use the same credentials and you only get the single OneDrive TB account.

We have the family plan amongst our family. My wife and I share her user credentials. The rest still have their own. i still can use my own email with Outlook
6 TB OneDrive is selling feature for me too.

Now if I install same account on five computers, those would be limited to the one TB correct?

I ask, because it seems like it might be kind of a pain in the ass if I have to use 6 different accounts to take advantage of the full 6TB.
Feb 10, 2013
54 posts
82 upvotes
Moncton
Not a bad deal but not a "deal" per say, this is always available.

I purchased it last year since it's clearly a better deal then the 12 month annual price from Microsoft.

Like others have mentioned I would've purchased simply the software but with the 1TB from One Drive when you factor it all together this is the best bang for your buck when you factor in all the services.

Microsoft Azure also one of the best cloud services out there.

Also not a HUGE deal but buying the software outright you lose the updates whereas with the subscription the software updates all the time.

Amazon would be better for storage (family photos and videos) if they didn't cap the video storage to 200GB or so if I recall correctly.
Dec 22, 2017
584 posts
976 upvotes
Has anyone bought a cheap office 2019 license from Ebay sellers?

I was thinking of doing that once my university subscription finishes.
Dec 12, 2008
65 posts
19 upvotes
Thumbs Up - can confirm this stacks and very easy to do. Bought online Costco. Email from codes2go arrived minutes later. Logged into Microsoft account and entered the code under redeem. Extended my previous subscription without issue.
Family of 5 so this is useful to us as three are school age and use the apps and we all use onedrive. School offers free online office365 but it’s not as good as the apps installed on computer.
Worth it for us. Thanks
Jan 22, 2009
476 posts
59 upvotes
How does this work... Is one of the accounts like a master account that can view data/one drive of the other family accounts? Or is every account perfectly secure.
Jan 20, 2003
207 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
I ordered last year when this went on sale through costco, but did my renewal through my employer's discount program. Very similar pricing, plus it's locked in for subsequent years.
Jun 18, 2013
441 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
I had office 365 for two years mainly for the OneDrive.

Then invested $1000 for 20TB personal NAS with synology. Best decision.

If only want to have 6TB personal NAS with a entry level synology, you can get that with $300-$400.
Aug 17, 2011
186 posts
151 upvotes
Mendes wrote: If you use 365 for work check if you're employer has a HUP

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/home-use-program?rtc=1

Usually slightly cheaper here if your work qualifies. This is a PERSONAL account via a discount through your Employer. It is not a work account. The subscription is M365 Family. Same as in OP
This. I work at a hospital in Ontario and I'm subscribed at 76/year for a family subscription. OPs deal is good though for those who can't take advantage of HUP.

Edit: 76.30/year pre-tax works out to be 6.36/month which is very marginal to OPs deal (6.60 per above).

You could sell your family licenses on RFD group buys to make your money go further.
Aug 30, 2007
773 posts
1460 upvotes
Calgary
hank hill wrote: 6 TB OneDrive is selling feature for me too.

Now if I install same account on five computers, those would be limited to the one TB correct?

I ask, because it seems like it might be kind of a pain in the ass if I have to use 6 different accounts to take advantage of the full 6TB.
Unfortunately, that is correct, each account has 1 TB of storage. To utilize all 6TB, you'd be logging off/logging in to each account. Would get annoying in a real hurry, imo.

Even if you went with an individual M365 account, you can only 'upgrade' your OneDrive to 2TB of storage ($120/annually/account).
Last edited by RockyMtns27 on Jan 22nd, 2022 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 30, 2015
560 posts
645 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
I remember when the HUP deal through the hospital I worked at in Ontario was $11 for your license and I think it worked for 2 computers. No subscription needed. I used it for years until I upgraded machines.
Aug 30, 2007
773 posts
1460 upvotes
Calgary
GroverTime wrote: I remember when the HUP deal through the hospital I worked at in Ontario was $11 for your license and I think it worked for 2 computers. No subscription needed. I used it for years until I upgraded machines.
Ahh, the good old days before the entire world moved to a subscription model. Afterall, why dip their hands into our pockets once, when they can keep 'em there. (That sounds wrong, and it IS!) Confused Face

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)