• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2022 5:45 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1654 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
bingo_jake wrote:
I wish it was possible as I am looking for my options of hosting my domain emails now that Google is discontinuing Free G Suite

Has anyone used Office 386 family outlook with custom domain name? Any issues other than not being able to use multiple aliases?
I think other options is to use iCloud+ custom domain (no catch all), or Zoho for mail with catch all
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
1300 posts
988 upvotes
vaporize wrote: I think other options is to use iCloud+ custom domain (no catch all), or Zoho for mail with catch all
I’ve migrated the family email to Office 365 from gmail. It was a royal pain in the ass, as I also had a Azure AD tenant on the domain as well. Had to go through the steps to get it removed before I could make it work.

It works better if someone has a existing outlook account, and then adds on the personal domain to the Microsoft account.

Used my domain from Namecheap with Cloudflare attached with a well documented work around. Seems to be working now.

Not having the admin panel to assist with password resets sucks but i ain’t paying Google $16/mo per user
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1953 posts
1409 upvotes
Calgary
Make sure auto renew is turned off before you add the code.
Microsoft will offer you a free month when adding the code to turn on auto renew. So you’ll get 16 months.

Once you add the code, and get your 16 months, turn off auto renew and repeat as necessary.

No requirement to keep auto renew turned on.

Also, why is this a hot deal?
I just checked my receipt From 4 months ago and this is the same price I paid? I’m pretty sure this is Costco regular price.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2017
2042 posts
879 upvotes
Suthek wrote: Make sure auto renew is turned off before you add the code.
Microsoft will offer you a free month when adding the code to turn on auto renew. So you’ll get 16 months.

Once you add the code, and get your 16 months, turn off auto renew and repeat as necessary.

No requirement to keep auto renew turned on.

Also, why is this a hot deal?
I just checked my receipt From 4 months ago and this is the same price I paid? I’m pretty sure this is Costco regular price.
Yes this works for the first time when I bought the key in store. I bought a second key (online key this time) to stack. Stacking does work but I only got 15 months.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2006
1436 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
vaporize wrote: I think other options is to use iCloud+ custom domain (no catch all), or Zoho for mail with catch all
I think office 365 family would be much better value for money over those 2 specially with 6TB cloud storage for 6 accounts.

I am going to wait until late April before switching to another provider, just in case Google changes their mind and extend the Free service or at least provide a reasonable plan for personal domain holders with a few accounts (less than 10).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8981 posts
1522 upvotes
TO
Jucius Maximus wrote: Arguably, it could also be viewed as lock-in and reduction in flexibility.
You end up keeping more and more files in Microsoft's cloud services, and become dependent on it. Then you end up paying monthly fees forever, and locking into Microsoft's other products, again paying monthly fees forever.

To me, it seems rather untenable. I am still using the retail MS Office 2013, with $0/month fees, forever.
Cloud has little value to me, as I prefer to just take the laptop if the task is heavy enough to actually need MS Office.
For cloud storage, I could use free Google Drive or any other platform-agnostic service, so it doesn't even tie me to Windows, Android, iOS, etc.

Admittedly, this approach of maximizing flexibility is not for everyone, and people will pay to have a specific solution that meets their needs right now. But when they hit the wall with lock-in, it's going to be expensive both in time and money to solve.
Hundred Points Symbol agree with what you said, I got a good 2.5 year deal from Best Buy US, I’ve stored so much in one drive now it renews next December and realize free one drive only offers 5gb.
Some options I’ve seen are box.com 10gb free but google drive is still 15gb and very functional.
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
May 15, 2010
16 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
4 years ago, I signed up for Office 365 family as I got a great price on Newegg Canada and ended up paying around 80 per year. Couldn't find that deal anywhere else so I bought 5 years of them. Wish I bought more. I think I had to wait a year to add the 5th year as, if I am not mistaken, they only accept 4 years at a time.

Nonetheless, glad to see this Costco deal now. It's not 80, but it does give 3 extra months. And, I also did the auto-recurring to get an extra one and cancelled it.
I got the code in 7 minutes, very fast. I'll be buying 2 more to reach the limit of 3 per member, just in case the price goes up since costs are increasing for many things.

I still miss the name Office 365 over Microsoft 365. Not sure what MS is thinking but then again, not surprised. Still prefer them over anything Google where everything is a temporary project and has to be online with no downloadable software.
Talking about online, the only reason why I pay for this is for OneDrive and I use it a lot, or else I'd buy Office at full price, but since it includes office updates forever, and OneDrive, which is well integrated into Windows, and since I can give it to my wife and her family, great deal.

Tip: Use a shipping address in Alberta to get 5% tax instead of higher percentage (such as almost 15% here in Quebec). That's 10 CAD less per order for me. 30 total for 3 orders.
Billing has to be the correct one but shipping can be anything and they calculate tax based on shipping. There's no shipping so this works. Just make sure to set your default shipping to where you are so that you don't accidentally ship something to Alberta in the future.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
14861 posts
6380 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My MS 365 Family Plan is up for renewal in June. Is the HUP 30% off discount for $76.30/yr still the best deal around for the family plan or is there anything better available out there?

Edit: I remember my current subscription was 50% off the regular family plan as there was a promotion for HUP. I'm guessing there's no similar 50% discount currently available?