Shopping Discussion

Costco missing products post-reopening?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2021 1:56 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 26, 2010
47 posts
8 upvotes

Costco missing products post-reopening?

Hi, I've been shopping at one Costco primarily during this pandemic and noticed after ON went to Step 1 and 2, there are certain things missing: the Blu-ray section has been eliminated and the books have been halfed at this Costco. Also there's no garden centre anymore.

Is this your experience at your Costco too?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20855 posts
19106 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Wandering Foodie wrote: Hi, I've been shopping at one Costco primarily during this pandemic and noticed after ON went to Step 1 and 2, there are certain things missing: the Blu-ray section has been eliminated and the books have been halfed at this Costco. Also there's no garden centre anymore.

Is this your experience at your Costco too?
WHICH Costco ?
WHERE are you?

(FYI update your RFD Location … works wonders for Questions like this )

Ontario was in lockdown forever … things are gonna be crazy for awhile.
This is the new now normal … til suppliers etc get up and running too again

Plus many retailers cut back on NEW stock delivery
When customers switched primarily to online shopping
No sense having esp seasonal / new release items sitting on a shelf Instore with no shoppers

Garden Centres are always seasonal
Late April, all of May, a bit of June

Tomorrow is July 1st

Not unusual to see places closed already or in the process of packing it in
Sr. Member
Sep 24, 2004
947 posts
562 upvotes
Scarborough
Reg. Garden Centre: Typically the perishable (plants) part of the garden centre would wind up by Victoria Day, this year they were late in opening and late in winding up. The non-perishable items i.e. hose, soil etc. are generally available for longer but eventually disappear.

Availability of these items will differ from one location to another at this time. The grass seeds and fall fertilizer will probably be around till early Fall.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4678 posts
4381 upvotes
Toronto
Garden centres at Costco usually wind up by now, so nothing unusual there. In fact, expect to see winter stuff soon. For many years, it's been a Canada Day long weekend tradition for us to buy the kids' snowsuits for the upcoming winter. Once, Costco put them out in late June...
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11805 posts
6862 upvotes
Markham
jm1 wrote: In fact, expect to see winter stuff soon.
OMG, your post makes me depressed lol
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20855 posts
19106 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
jm1 wrote: Garden centres at Costco usually wind up by now, so nothing unusual there. In fact, expect to see winter stuff soon. For many years, it's been a Canada Day long weekend tradition for us to buy the kids' snowsuits for the upcoming winter. Once, Costco put them out in late June...
smartie wrote: OMG, your post makes me depressed lol
Ya Costco is always one season … 3 to 4 months ahead

So they are doing Late Summer / Early Fall now (Fall Fertilizer, Leaf Blowers, etc )

Want to be truly depressed … go in the store end of July …

Snowsuits - Back To School - Halloween - Thanksgiving - Shovels & Snowblowers etc
AND … Christmas Trees !!!

By early August my mind is just enjoying mid Summer … the sun, the heat, the AC … I truly don’t need to be reminded that Old Man Winter is just about to knock on my door and tell me to crank up the Furnace !
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
6014 posts
7165 upvotes
The NORTH
PointsHubby wrote: Ya Retail is always one season … 3 to 4 months ahead

So they are doing Late Summer / Early Fall now (Fall Fertilizer, Leaf Blowers, etc )

Want to be truly depressed … go in the store end of July …

Snowsuits - Back To School - Halloween - Thanksgiving - Shovels & Snowblowers etc
AND … Christmas Trees !!!

By early August my mind is just enjoying mid Summer … the sun, the heat, the AC … I truly don’t need to be reminded that Old Man Winter is just about to knock on my door and tell me to crank up the Furnace !
Fixed that for you. :)
Jr. Member
Sep 21, 2015
145 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Well, its almost time for back to school and Halloween now. So I am not suprised they don't have any gardening stuff. As far as everything else? I haven't noticed anything missing in the two Costco's I frequent in GTA. But I haven't bought any bluerays in ages.....
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 13, 2010
4997 posts
5778 upvotes
GTA
Good luck finding a replacement for something you lose/break in the season it's intended for (mitts, snow shovel, spring jacket, etc.).
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
6014 posts
7165 upvotes
The NORTH
I was expecting a lot of clearance deals on seasonal merchandise that they didn't sell during the lockdown but have yet to find anything interesting...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20855 posts
19106 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
kr0zet wrote: I was expecting a lot of clearance deals on seasonal merchandise that they didn't sell during the lockdown but have yet to find anything interesting...
That’s cuz Costco has a very efficient REDISTRIBUTION OF STOCK system

If it’s not selling … or past it’s prime … it goes into the WEEKLY TREASURE HUNT - HOT DEALS - or GOING GOING GONE categories (if not just back to the Supplier )

Which means that inventory is controlled by Costco.ca / HQ

They clear this stuff out to make more room for other items on their very limited 4000 items per warehouse list

FYI … Costco IS NOT A REGULAR RETAILER

Think of them more as a warehouse SHOWCASING MERCHANDISE for a particular run … be that a day / week / month
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 26, 2010
47 posts
8 upvotes
I've been using the Thorncliffe Park Costco. They did setup the fence for the garden centre but it was never used.

I miss the Blu-ray and books section though. Hopefully it'll return in the future. The prices there were better than Amazon.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4678 posts
4381 upvotes
Toronto
Wandering Foodie wrote: I've been using the Thorncliffe Park Costco. They did setup the fence for the garden centre but it was never used.
The garden centre had been open and I had bought stuff there in May and June. It had a separate entrance, exit and checkout.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
7284 posts
5070 upvotes
Toronto
Wandering Foodie wrote: I've been using the Thorncliffe Park Costco. They did setup the fence for the garden centre but it was never used.

I miss the Blu-ray and books section though. Hopefully it'll return in the future. The prices there were better than Amazon.
Where once the Photo Lab was a constant source of commerce, only a very small amount of people currently print photos. Hence, they are getting rid of them (or maybe have already nixed them all by now). I would expect media and book sales have been constantly declining, and might eventually be turfed completely. Funny to think on how back in the late 90's, Costco was my go to place to purchase music CD's. At the end of the day, if they aren't getting enough sales, change is simply inevitable.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)