[Costco] Montblanc Starwalker Midnight Black Ballpoint Pen - $199.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 11:37 am
[OP]
Feb 4, 2020
27 posts
48 upvotes

[Costco] Montblanc Starwalker Midnight Black Ballpoint Pen - $199.99

Costco has the Montblanc Starwalker Midnight Black Ballpoint Pen online for $199.99 ($50 off from their regular price of $249.99

This pen retails for $450 at montblanc
https://www.montblanc.com/en-ca/ballpoi ... 22795.html

Great price for a luxury pen from Montblanc if you are in the market for one, or a great gift for someone who is.
67 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20951 posts
3505 upvotes
YUL
What! Why spend $199 on a pen, when you can buy a BIC ball point pen for less than $1, like a true RFDer!?

Haha...just kidding. I love my Montblanc. For those who appreciate the finer things in life :)
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15584 posts
13185 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Wow that is a great price.
Mar 5, 2015
26 posts
47 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
You know the economy is bad when you can find Montblanc at Costco…
Last edited by alesisq88 on Nov 24th, 2020 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 22, 2018
188 posts
356 upvotes
this better be writing my essays for me if it's $200
Dec 16, 2012
223 posts
109 upvotes
GTA
Wish it was a fountain pen but good deal for those who like Montblanc ballpoints.
Jan 27, 2005
355 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
portraitofruin wrote: Wish it was a fountain pen but good deal for those who like Montblanc ballpoints.
This is perfect for those that prefer to write with fountain pens but need something to lend to others for the times when they ask to 'borrow' your f. pen. Winking Face
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14583 posts
5797 upvotes
Ottawa
alesisq88 wrote: You know the economy is bad when you can find Montblac at Costco…
Montblancs have been at Costco since forever. I don't think they've ever stopped carrying them since I bought the classic MB ballpoint for $99 15 years ago.
Last edited by warpdrive on Nov 23rd, 2020 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Mar 30, 2015
26 posts
88 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
alesisq88 wrote: You know the economy is bad when you can find Montblac at Costco…
Costco =/= cheap

Costco buyers go out of their way to find value products for members, but value doesn't mean cheap. Costco is not Walmart.
Oct 3, 2006
70 posts
240 upvotes
Oakville
I just don't see RFDers jumping on this deal no matter how sweet it looks....lol.... I can't justify the price vs. functionality......
Jan 27, 2005
355 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
This pen has been offered for a long time now at Costco both online and in-store. Considered grey market and not covered under warranty but frankly I'm not quite sure how MB would determine this wasn't purchased in a boutique (either retail or DF). I've had a few pens serviced and not once have they asked me for proof of purchase.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14583 posts
5797 upvotes
Ottawa
SumTingWong wrote: Costco =/= cheap

Costco buyers go out of their way to find value products for members, but value doesn't mean cheap. Costco is not Walmart.
exactly.

Just look at some of the watches in this thread.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/just ... o.3196794/
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Dec 29, 2013
126 posts
111 upvotes
I have this pen. It writes quite well and feels well-weighted in the hand. I prefer to write with a lighter stroke, and I find it scratchy if I don't press more firmly than I would with other pens. Nice presentation case, it's a good, if somewhat expensive, gift.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3354 posts
1381 upvotes
Ottawa
apneab wrote: I have this pen. It writes quite well and feels well-weighted in the hand. I prefer to write with a lighter stroke, and I find it scratchy if I don't press more firmly than I would with other pens. Nice presentation case, it's a good, if somewhat expensive, gift.
Thank you for your feedback!
Nov 1, 2015
876 posts
819 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
I'm mad because I got this as a gift, returned it for the $450 credit, and then lost the letter. Was waiting for these globe cufflinks to come back in stock.

Argh. Also I've always been confused, doesn't the tip matter solely on the refill inside? Isn't the selling point just the brand and weight?
Jan 27, 2005
355 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
BBQPEANUT wrote: Argh. Also I've always been confused, doesn't the tip matter solely on the refill inside? Isn't the selling point just the brand and weight?
I think you need to clarify your question. Are you referring to the feel of the pen when it writes? or are you referring to the thickness of the line it lays down?

I don't believe you are referring to the type of pen whether it is gel/roller/ballpoint/fountain because they are completely different not only in how they write but also in the refill cartridges and/or mechanism.
Nov 12, 2019
161 posts
370 upvotes
They've been doing this for at least 8 years (since I started noticing). It's all grey market though, like Le Creuset and some of the other higher end brands they occasionally get, Costco is not an authorized retailer.
Nov 12, 2019
161 posts
370 upvotes
Dangaa wrote: This pen has been offered for a long time now at Costco both online and in-store. Considered grey market and not covered under warranty but frankly I'm not quite sure how MB would determine this wasn't purchased in a boutique (either retail or DF). I've had a few pens serviced and not once have they asked me for proof of purchase.
Based on the serial number. Or at least that's how they're supposed to know.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1327 posts
1801 upvotes
Great little tool for writing out your shopping list if your phone battery dies. Oh, and signing executive orders.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
14145 posts
4633 upvotes
Toronto
Good price for a Montblanc. But with my tendency to lose pens, I think I will save the money and frustration.