[Costco] Montblanc Starwalker Midnight Black Ballpoint Pen - $199.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 11:37 am
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1843 posts
1520 upvotes
Waterloo
6060842 wrote: Great little tool for writing out your shopping list if your phone battery dies. Oh, and signing executive orders.
Thought executive orders are signed with sharpies
Jan 27, 2005
355 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
n1ckt0 wrote: Based on the serial number. Or at least that's how they're supposed to know.
Bingo. However, as far as I know (and I could be wrong) Montblanc does not keep a serial database of all the pens they've produced nevermind which pens get sent to which distributor/retailer. The serial number wasn't actually introduced until the early 90's and they've been in business since 1906.

From what's documented online the only pens they track are the LE pens and there isn't an extensive of list of what that may or may not cover.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1322 posts
1799 upvotes
Is it possible to pull one of these out and NOT let someone know that you're using a $200 pen or do you just have to hope that they notice?
Jan 27, 2005
355 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
6060842 wrote: Is it possible to pull one of these out and NOT let someone know that you're using a $200 pen or do you just have to hope that they notice?
I really hope you are being facetious because the Starwalker, particularly the midnight trim, is as discrete as they come. The only one I can think of that might be more subtle would be the Ultra Black.

Besides, if it really matters that much what others think I don't think you are the target demographic for their pens. That being said, if you are truly interested in the MB ballpoints I will say that their broad refills are one of the best that I've come across.

Personally I'd much rather buy and use a fine instrument to write with than say buy and wear a $200 t-shirt or $1500 cell phone Winking Face. It's definitely not for everyone.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1322 posts
1799 upvotes
Dangaa wrote:
Besides, if it really matters that much what others think I don't think you are the target demographic for their pens.
Lol, I'm sure that everyone who buys one of these just enjoys writing with overpriced pens and care nothing about luxury brand status. Winking Face
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1483 posts
343 upvotes
I wonder if the demographic of consumers of this is over 50? Fancy pens used to be a thing pre 2000. People lose pens all the time. I used to have an 18k gold pen. It walked away. You lend this out, you wont get it back so put a gps tracker on it.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10233 posts
6467 upvotes
BBQPEANUT wrote: I'm mad because I got this as a gift, returned it for the $450 credit, and then lost the letter. Was waiting for these globe cufflinks to come back in stock.

Argh. Also I've always been confused, doesn't the tip matter solely on the refill inside? Isn't the selling point just the brand and weight?
The 'tip', yes, solely relates to the ballpoint refill.

However, the pen as a whole has other characteristics that contributes to your overall writing experience, and it as a writing instrument. Such as, weight, balance, grip, grip texture, pen orientation...
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
14137 posts
4620 upvotes
Toronto
jon604 wrote: I wonder if the demographic of consumers of this is over 50? Fancy pens used to be a thing pre 2000. People lose pens all the time. I used to have an 18k gold pen. It walked away. You lend this out, you wont get it back so put a gps tracker on it.
That's the thing, I use (and lose) pens frequently. Will stick with my Uniballs or Pilot G2.

For luxury items, would rather have a nice watch, it's strapped to my wrist so I can't lose it.
Apr 30, 2013
680 posts
353 upvotes
King City
SumTingWong wrote: Costco =/= cheap

Costco buyers go out of their way to find value products for members, but value doesn't mean cheap. Costco is not Walmart.
For other things it's like Ikea.
Jan 27, 2005
355 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
6060842 wrote: Lol, I'm sure that everyone who buys one of these just enjoys writing with overpriced pens and care nothing about luxury brand status. Winking Face
Absolutely don't disagree with you. Ballpoint pens are especially peculiar as a product range when compared to their fountain pen counterparts. It's far easier to justify shelling out hard earned money for a piston-filler than a glorified refill holder but as we can already see by the way this thread is going that there is a different perceived value for everything.
Jan 18, 2008
433 posts
89 upvotes
freeforall wrote: For other things it's like Ikea.
It's not necessarily true. From my personal experience, I find that most of Costco products are much better than Ikea when it comes to quality/value.
Apr 27, 2012
706 posts
489 upvotes
Ottawa
I would be scared to take this out of the house. I loose pens like you wouldn't believe.
Nov 2, 2011
38 posts
51 upvotes
GTA
Dangaa wrote: This is perfect for those that prefer to write with fountain pens but need something to lend to others for the times when they ask to 'borrow' your f. pen. Winking Face
Can I borrow yours? I promise I'll bring it back...
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14566 posts
5765 upvotes
Ottawa
I have a man purse and keep a pen in the bag as my EDC gear.

I wouldn't carry a nice pen like this but opt for something that's more "tough" because the last thing I want is a pen that leaks or fails to write so I chose a Fisher Clutch Space Pen. It should last me through the next zombie apocalypse
https://www.spacepen.ca/products/clutch
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
May 18, 2018
452 posts
378 upvotes
Dangaa wrote: I really hope you are being facetious because the Starwalker, particularly the midnight trim, is as discrete as they come. The only one I can think of that might be more subtle would be the Ultra Black.

Besides, if it really matters that much what others think I don't think you are the target demographic for their pens. That being said, if you are truly interested in the MB ballpoints I will say that their broad refills are one of the best that I've come across.

Personally I'd much rather buy and use a fine instrument to write with than say buy and wear a $200 t-shirt or $1500 cell phone Winking Face. It's definitely not for everyone.
I'd definitely choose a bottle of nice scotch over these pens and/or t-shirts.
Jan 27, 2005
355 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
PanchoVilla wrote: I'd definitely choose a bottle of nice scotch over these pens and/or t-shirts.
Scotch, watches and pens. This is my kind of thread!
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1354 posts
492 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I don't even know when I last used my MB... I found I rarely sign with wet signature at work in recent years. It has become 100% e-sign during covid. Great price tho.
Jan 18, 2008
433 posts
89 upvotes
Don't understand why people keep downvoting such sort of posts as this one or zojirushi cooker and etc. Yes, they are expensive but that does not make them either bad products or bad deals. If you don't like or need them, just move on. No need to discourage the OP.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1536 posts
899 upvotes
NOYB
I'd love a good ink pen deal for this price Relieved Face
*Zoomer + VoIP.ms + Lucky Mobile + Public Mobile user* SPEND WISELY

Self banning from the PRC sub, after a member with civility was banned from it without reasonable cause since 11/09/2020
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10619 posts
4978 upvotes
Pentastic. My wife told me a couple weeks ago she wanted one of these for father in law for a gift and i was looking at $400 plus on pens i though dang but this is being ordered.

My self i like the finer things and to feel like im writing with an expensive pen however i prefer to have $180 in my wallet keeping it weighted lol.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
Buy first think later!