Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Montblanc Starwalker Midnight Black Ballpoint Pen - $199.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 11:37 am
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4784 posts
3279 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
DrunkCPU wrote: I just don't see RFDers jumping on this deal no matter how sweet it looks....lol.... I can't justify the price vs. functionality......
There are a lot of ballers here on RFD.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Member
User avatar
Jan 27, 2005
355 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
wengosuck wrote: Don't understand why people keep downvoting such sort of posts as this one or zojirushi cooker and etc. Yes, they are expensive but that does not make them either bad products or bad deals. If you don't like or need them, just move on. No need to discourage the OP.
Exactly. It is however perfectly fine and preferable to spend $350 on a pair of $500 wireless headphones that will age out or outright die when the batteries can no longer hold a charge. Odds are that it will never get to that point though because the same consumer will have purchased the next version the following year when it inevitably goes on sale.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 13, 2015
3563 posts
3566 upvotes
Alberta
wengosuck wrote: Don't understand why people keep downvoting such sort of posts as this one or zojirushi cooker and etc. Yes, they are expensive but that does not make them either bad products or bad deals. If you don't like or need them, just move on. No need to discourage the OP.
It happens with nearly all luxury items on RFD. Simplehuman is another good example. There are many users here who believe everything must be done as cheap as possible. There are many of us though that do enjoy the finer things in life and it's great to get them discounted.
Member
Oct 25, 2015
229 posts
237 upvotes
Guelph, Ontario
I purchased one of these from Costco about 5 years ago as one my first Mont Blanc pens. I must say I have been pretty happy with it. Now i'm up to about a dozen Mont Blanc pens
Jr. Member
Mar 6, 2018
120 posts
67 upvotes
Come on? Don't you take your phone out with you? A smart phone would cost 3 to 4 times this pen.
benzylique wrote: I would be scared to take this out of the house. I loose pens like you wouldn't believe.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 13, 2006
1052 posts
407 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
Imagine having so much disposable income you can drop $200 on a pen. Lol
Beware the RFD Effect
Member
Jul 4, 2012
273 posts
226 upvotes
Dangaa wrote: This pen has been offered for a long time now at Costco both online and in-store. Considered grey market and not covered under warranty but frankly I'm not quite sure how MB would determine this wasn't purchased in a boutique (either retail or DF). I've had a few pens serviced and not once have they asked me for proof of purchase.
Excuse my ignorance, but why would it need to be serviced?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 13, 2006
1052 posts
407 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
kwscott wrote: Come on? Don't you take your phone out with you? A smart phone would cost 3 to 4 times this pen.
A smart phone is also 10x bigger than a pen and isn't likely to drop out of your pocket without you noticing...
Beware the RFD Effect
Jr. Member
Mar 6, 2018
120 posts
67 upvotes
A smartphone would also cost 2 to 3 times of the pen to repair if you crack a screen.
sooksook wrote: A smart phone is also 10x bigger than a pen and isn't likely to drop out of your pocket without you noticing...
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
3999 posts
1698 upvotes
bhogala wrote: I purchased one of these from Costco about 5 years ago as one my first Mont Blanc pens. I must say I have been pretty happy with it. Now i'm up to about a dozen Mont Blanc pens
nice flex. lol
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 27, 2012
706 posts
489 upvotes
Ottawa
kwscott wrote: Come on? Don't you take your phone out with you? A smart phone would cost 3 to 4 times this pen.
I have yet to loose a cell phone but routinely lose 1 pen a week at work. I work in healthcare and for-whatever reason there are shortages of pens. When you're at the nursing station, it's not uncommon for another nurse/doctor/health care worker to "borrow" your pen and then walk off with it accidentally. If I was in another line of work, I'd maybe consider this. But most people in the hospitals just use sub 5 dollar pens for this reason.
Member
User avatar
Jan 27, 2005
355 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Sym000 wrote: Excuse my ignorance, but why would it need to be serviced?
Warranty and service are two different things.

Warranty typically isn't covered for grey market product but covers defect in materials and fabrication.

Service covers things such as feed adjustment (in fountain pens), clip tightening and even pen barrel/component replacement/repair in the event you drop it. Theoretically you could have the whole pen replaced other than the nib on a fountain pen at a lower cost than to replace (nib swaps at time of purchase is something different altogether).

It's nice to be able to use your pricey pen (as a tool the way it was intended) and not worry about abusing it.
Member
User avatar
Jan 27, 2005
355 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
benzylique wrote: I have yet to loose a cell phone but routinely lose 1 pen a week at work. I work in healthcare and for-whatever reason there are shortages of pens. When you're at the nursing station, it's not uncommon for another nurse/doctor/health care worker to "borrow" your pen and then walk off with it accidentally. If I was in another line of work, I'd maybe consider this. But most people in the hospitals just use sub 5 dollar pens for this reason.
Assuming you are losing a $5 pen a week that means you are losing $260 in pens a year (at least). Who approves and pays for these pens? I'd like to meet your Procurement officer Winking Face
Sr. Member
Jun 25, 2005
611 posts
280 upvotes
When you have a nice pen, you generally carry a cheap one in my briefcase in case someone needs to borrow it.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 27, 2012
706 posts
489 upvotes
Ottawa
Dangaa wrote: Assuming you are losing a $5 pen a week that means you are losing $260 in pens a year (at least). Who approves and pays for these pens? I'd like to meet your Procurement officer Winking Face
I supply my own! Don't worry, my pens are usually around 20 cents a piece. I've attached a photo of the ones I use so if you see them lying around the hospital... let me know!
Images
  • 515zFKuP-aL._AC_.jpg
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2005
4555 posts
23703 upvotes
Montreal
i've seen this in store for the same sale price of 199.99 - I guess the advantage here is that it's not specific to Candiac's warehouse, but online too.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 8, 2008
995 posts
1269 upvotes
Toronto
add a $50.01+ item to the order and use the $50 off $250 coupon with GOM... or, pick up the fineliner/rollerball version of this pen :D

Top